- FBI said Sydney gunman prone to violence years before siege Updated: May-18-16 10:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Five years before he held 18 people hostage inside a Sydney cafe, Iranian-born Man Haron Monis attracted the attention of the FBI as someone who had "the potential to incite others to violence," according to documents obtained by The Associated Press.
- Australian opposition's PM pick helped oust 2 predecessors Updated: May-08-16 1:23 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Political powerbroker Bill Shorten played a key role in ousting two Australian prime ministers - both members of his own party and politicians he had once supported. That history of fickle loyalty may come back to haunt him as he seeks to lead the country.
- Australian leader Turnbull seeks to gain mandate in vote Updated: May-08-16 1:20 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Malcolm Turnbull is Australia's fifth prime minister in as many years, and after eight months in the top job, declining approval ratings suggest he has proved a disappointment to many voters.
- Australian prime minister makes July 2 election official Updated: May-08-16 12:46 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australian prime minister says the governor-general has agreed to a July 2 election.
- French company scores huge Australian submarine contract Updated: Apr-26-16 9:51 am
PARIS - Australia's largest-ever defense contract has gone to a French shipbuilder to produce a new generation of submarines, thrilling officials in Paris and inaugurating half a century of close defense cooperation between the nations.