- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- White House asks allies to step up in IS campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House urged allies on Monday to do more in the campaign against the Islamic State, while President Barack Obama faced pressure in return to show the U.S.-led coalition will intensify efforts in response to the Paris attacks, even without a major shift in strategy.
- Democrats push to prevent gun sales to those on terror list Updated: Nov-20-15 10:23 pm
WASHINGTON - People on the U.S. government's terrorist watch list often can't board commercial airliners, but they can walk into a gun store and legally buy pistols and powerful military-style rifles.
- House OK of GOP Syrian refugee curbs is just start of fight Updated: Nov-20-15 10:00 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans have embarrassed President Barack Obama by winning veto-proof House approval of legislation blocking Syrian and Iraqi refugees from the U.S., but from here the effort may take a different turn in Congress.
- Rebuffed over refugees, Obama aims to shift focus to visas Updated: Nov-20-15 3:39 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - The White House is calling for changes that could prohibit some people from bypassing the traditional visa system to enter the American homeland.
- Analysis: Obama refugee argument fails as Democrats desert Updated: Nov-19-15 5:02 pm
MANILA, Philippines - As anxiety about Syrian refugees entering the U.S. took hold this week, President Barack Obama was having none of it. Halfway across the globe, he scolded politicians questioning his plan to take in 10,000 Syrians in light of the Paris attacks, dismissing them as fear-mongers scoring political points.
- Congress OKs bill banning Guantanamo detainees from US Updated: Nov-11-15 12:19 am
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama a $607 billion defense policy bill that he is expected to sign even though he adamantly opposes its ban on moving some Guantanamo Bay detainees to U.S. prisons.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Feinstein vs. Cruz Updated: Nov-04-15 5:09 pm
WASHINGTON - It was another round of Cruz vs. Feinstein.
- Immigrant sanctuary plays role in San Francisco sheriff race Updated: Oct-31-15 11:45 am
SAN FRANCISCO - The immigration debate is front and center in the San Francisco sheriff's race following a killing in which a Mexican man in the country illegally has been charged.