- Taiwan says it has swapped convicted spies with China Updated: Nov-30-15 8:45 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Old foes China and Taiwan have swapped high-level convicted spies in a sign of goodwill linked to the first meeting ever between their presidents.
- Analysis: Historic meet realizes hopes for Taiwan, China Updated: Nov-08-15 1:40 am
SINGAPORE - Many thought it might never happen: The presidents of China and Taiwan - inheritors to the Communist and Nationalist regimes that fought a civil war and remained bitter rivals for decades - coming together as equals for talks.
- Presidents of China, Taiwan meet for 1st time, shake hands Updated: Nov-07-15 1:03 pm
SINGAPORE - The leaders of China and Taiwan met Saturday for the first time since the formerly bitter Cold War foes split amid civil war 66 years ago, and though no concrete agreement resulted, both hailed the meeting as a sign of a new stability in relations.
- A China-Taiwan handshake, 66 years in the making Updated: Nov-07-15 11:54 am
It was just a handshake. Just two prosperous-looking men in dark suits walking across a hotel meeting room to say hello.
- Singapore is natural choice for China-Taiwan talks Updated: Nov-07-15 4:57 am
SINGAPORE - If the historic summit this weekend between the leaders of China and Taiwan is laden with symbolism, so is the location, the city-state of Singapore.
- The Latest: China, Taiwan leaders end historic meeting Updated: Nov-07-15 4:50 am
SINGAPORE - The latest on the historic meeting between the presidents of China and Taiwan in Singapore. All times Singapore.
- Timeline of China-Taiwan relations leading to historic meet Updated: Nov-07-15 4:18 am
BEIJING - China and Taiwan have been separately ruled since the Chinese civil war of the 1940s, but China claims sovereignty over the island and insists the two sides eventually unify. They have in recent years set aside that dispute to build trust and sign economic cooperation deals, and their presidents met for the first time Saturday.
- Singapore, China strengthen diplomatic ties with Xi's visit Updated: Nov-06-15 11:25 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore welcomed Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday with a state banquet featuring local favorites, as the two countries pledged to strengthen economic links and cooperation in regional and international affairs.
- Historic China-Taiwan meeting about symbolism, not substance Updated: Nov-06-15 6:44 am
BEIJING - Saturday's first-ever meeting between the presidents of China and Taiwan presents a formidable challenge: How can they ensure the event's place in history when nothing of substance should happen?
- Timeline of China-Taiwan relations leading to historic meet Updated: Nov-06-15 3:52 am
BEIJING - China and Taiwan have been separately ruled since the Chinese civil war of the 1940s, but China claims sovereignty over the island and insists the two sides eventually unify. They have in recent years set aside that dispute to build trust and sign economic cooperation deals, and their presidents will meet for the first time Saturday.
- Taiwan-China meeting leaves many on island democracy wary Updated: Nov-05-15 6:18 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwanese President Ma Ying-jeou is running into skepticism at home over his impending historic meeting with China's president, aimed at locking in the dialogue that he has built - from zero - with Beijing during his nearly eight years in office.
- Taiwan's Ma wants China's Xi to ease island's isolation Updated: Nov-05-15 1:17 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Taiwan's president said Thursday he hopes this weekend's historic meeting with China's leader can ease Beijing's hard-line stance on diplomatic relations with Taiwan, which is now recognized by just 22 countries.
- Taiwan defined by conflicted identity, diplomatic isolation Updated: Nov-04-15 4:26 am
BEIJING - It has no membership in the United Nations. In the Olympics, it competes as "Chinese Taipei." Most nations don't recognize it as a country.