- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-26-15 4:59 pm
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Turkey-Russia spat over downed Russian warplane escalates Updated: Nov-26-15 4:15 pm
ANKARA, Turkey - A tug-of-war over a Russian warplane downed by a Turkish fighter jet at the border with Syria escalated Thursday, with Moscow drafting a slew of economic sanctions against Turkey and the Turkish president defiantly declaring that his military will shoot down any new intruder.
- The Latest: Putin: Russia to cooperate with US-led coalition Updated: Nov-26-15 3:21 pm
BEIRUT - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- Cameron: UK must attack IS in Syria to deny group safe haven Updated: Nov-26-15 1:59 pm
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron urged skeptical lawmakers to back airstrikes on the Islamic State group in Syria, saying Thursday that the Paris attacks have given the fight new urgency and Britain owes it to key allies to act.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- White House asks allies to step up in IS campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House urged allies on Monday to do more in the campaign against the Islamic State, while President Barack Obama faced pressure in return to show the U.S.-led coalition will intensify efforts in response to the Paris attacks, even without a major shift in strategy.
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Cameron pledges to outline strategy against IS this week Updated: Nov-23-15 1:43 pm
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron will begin to lay out his case this week for the Royal Air Force to start hitting Islamic State targets in Syria, something he has been eager to do but feared being blocked by Parliament.
- Kerry: US trying to speed up efforts to defeat Islamic State Updated: Nov-23-15 11:07 am
ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates - The United States is seeking new military, counterterrorism and diplomatic ideas to destroy the Islamic State group faster, Secretary of State John Kerry said Monday, acknowledging the difficulty in eliminating extremists who've exploited four years of chaos in the Middle East to become a global threat. He said greater military cooperation with Russia was possible under the right circumstances.
- Analysis: Mideast chaos, violence won't end with IS defeat Updated: Nov-23-15 3:11 am
WASHINGTON - The chaos and violence gripping the Middle East are not likely to evaporate even if the forces arrayed against the Islamic State group manage to crush the brutal army and its drive to establish an Islamic caliphate in Iraq and Syria and beyond.
- Syrian soccer player-turned-refugee in Iraq mulls options Updated: Nov-23-15 2:16 am
IRBIL, Iraq - For a while, it seemed Nosheen Hanaan's dream was coming true: The budding star qualified to be goalie on Syria's national soccer team at the age of 18 after earning a reputation for his fierce blocking on al-Hurriya, a league team from the northern city of Aleppo.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Told he must go, Syria's Assad may outlast Obama in office Updated: Nov-22-15 10:50 am
WASHINGTON - Bashar Assad's presidency looks likely to outlast Barack Obama's.
- Obama calls on Russia to focus on Islamic State group Updated: Nov-22-15 3:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - President Barack Obama says Russia needs to make a strategic decision to go after the Islamic State group, not the moderate opposition forces trying to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- UN approves resolution urging action against Islamic State Updated: Nov-20-15 11:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. Security Council unanimously approved a French-sponsored resolution Friday calling on all nations to redouble and coordinate action to prevent further attacks by Islamic State terrorists and other extremist groups.
- CAPITOL HILL BUZZ: Forget Assad, focus on IS Updated: Nov-20-15 1:44 pm
WASHINGTON - In an unusual alliance, a House Democrat and Republican have teamed up to urge the Obama administration to stop trying to overthrow Syrian President Bashar Assad and focus all its efforts on destroying Islamic State militants.
- Officials: IS determined to produce chemical weapons Updated: Nov-19-15 11:54 am
BAGHDAD - The Islamic State group is aggressively pursuing development of chemical weapons, setting up a branch dedicated to research and experiments with the help of scientists from Iraq, Syria and elsewhere in the region, according to Iraqi and U.S. intelligence officials.
- Official says 160 Russian IS fighters killed in Syria Updated: Nov-19-15 5:33 am
MOSCOW - A Russian deputy foreign minister says that 160 Russians fighting for the Islamic State group have been killed in Syria.
- Clinton, Sanders to address strategy to fight Islamic State Updated: Nov-19-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton and Bernie Sanders are outlining the steps on Thursday they would take to combat the Islamic State group, each making major speeches less than a week after the deadly attacks in Paris.
- Obama: Russia can choose Assad or legitimate Syrian gov't Updated: Nov-19-15 2:22 am
MANILA, Philippines - President Barack Obama says Russia and Iran must decide whether they want to prop up Syrian President Bashar Assad or "save the Syrian state" by finding a Syrian government that can be legitimate.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad: