- Kansas lawmakers return to tax fight involving pizza magnate Updated: May-29-16 1:18 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Senate's top Republican is pushing to override GOP Gov. Sam Brownback's veto of a bill enmeshed in a multi-million dollar tax dispute between the state and a retired pizza magnate.
- Top Kansas court: State not properly funding poor schools Updated: May-27-16 10:00 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Kansas Supreme Court on Friday rejected some education funding changes enacted by the Legislature earlier this year and threatened to prevent the state's public schools from reopening for the new academic year if lawmakers don't act by June 30.
- The Latest: Kansas Democrat rips GOP on schools, LGBT issue Updated: May-27-16 9:41 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on the Kansas Supreme Court's ruling on school funding (all times local):
- Oklahoma lawmakers file bills opposing transgender guidance Updated: May-19-16 9:43 pm
OKLAHOMA CITY - Conservative Oklahoma lawmakers filed legislation Thursday opposing the federal government's guidance on the use of bathrooms and locker rooms by transgender students.
- Kansas budget plan slashes university and Medicaid funding Updated: May-18-16 8:24 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Facing a shortfall of more than $290 million, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback signed a budget bill Wednesday that makes significant cuts to the state highway fund, Medicaid and higher education and trims most state agency budgets by 4 percent.
- Mississippi superintendent backtracks on transgender policy Updated: May-18-16 6:43 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Under fire from the governor and many Republican legislators, the Mississippi Department of Education now says it won't follow new federal guidance on use of bathrooms and locker rooms by transgender students.
- Kansas coach Self, other LLCs avoid taxes under Kansas law Updated: May-17-16 5:21 pm
LAWRENCE, Kansas - Bill Self isn't paying state taxes on the bulk of his millions of dollars of income as men's basketball coach at Kansas, and it's all legal under 2012 tax reforms pressed by Gov. Sam Brownback.
- Recent editorials published in Iowa newspapers Updated: May-16-16 10:01 am
Des Moines Register. May 12, 2016
- Republican activists work to reconcile Kansas party to Trump Updated: May-14-16 5:27 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican activists in Kansas on Saturday worked to persuade the state party's conservative base to unite behind Donald Trump as the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, even as they picked a national convention delegation opposed to his candidacy.
- The Latest: Kobach in Kansas delegation to GOP convention Updated: May-14-16 4:52 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The Latest on Kansas Republicans' state meeting (all times local):
- Kansas officials' private emails to be subject to disclosure Updated: May-11-16 7:31 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas officials' emails about public business on private accounts or devices will be subject to public disclosure starting in July under a bill Gov. Sam Brownback signed into law Wednesday.
- The Latest: Public funeral set for slain Kansas detective Updated: May-10-16 7:39 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - The Latest on the fatal shooting of a police detective in Kansas City, Kansas (all times local):
- Kansas suspending work on limiting plants' carbon emissions Updated: May-09-16 6:55 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas is suspending its work on a plan for complying with federal regulations meant to combat climate change by reducing carbon emissions from power plants.
- Top Kansas Republicans say they'll back Trump; some won't Updated: May-04-16 6:06 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Top Republicans in Kansas reiterated their promises Wednesday to support Donald Trump as the party's presidential candidate, and the state GOP's chairman predicted that opponents of the brash billionaire will "come home" in November.
- Kansas tax collections in April good news after budget plan Updated: May-02-16 6:49 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas reported Monday that its tax collections last month were slightly better than expected, good news for Republican Gov. Sam Brownback after legislators approved a plan dumping most of the work of balancing the budget into his lap.