- United Methodists, Catholic leaders support Syrian refugees Updated: Nov-20-15 6:47 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The United Methodist Church in Kansas and Nebraska says 35 congregations are willing to sponsor at least one Syrian refugee family, while leaders of the Catholic church in Kansas urged compassion for the refugees and criticized elected officials who are using the issue for political gain.
- 3 top prosecutors: Don't send us Guantanamo detainees Updated: Nov-18-15 3:42 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Top prosecutors in three states being assessed as potential future homes for Guantanamo Bay detainees implored the Obama administration on Wednesday not to send the prisoners to their states.
- AP Interview: Kansas governor wants Guantanamo plans dropped Updated: Nov-13-15 7:48 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - With a White House report expected soon, Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback said Friday that President Barack Obama should drop efforts to move detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and argued that the administration is already violating federal law by surveying potential prison sites.
- Kansas officials approve $4.2M in emergency aid for schools Updated: Nov-09-15 5:22 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican Gov. Sam Brownback and top Kansas lawmakers Monday approved a total of $4.2 million in emergency aid for 25 school districts to help them with young refugees, increased student numbers or local economic problems.
- Kansas slashes revenue forecast, adjusts budget to avert gap Updated: Nov-06-15 8:18 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas slashed its revenue projections on Friday, and Republican Gov. Sam Brownback's budget director immediately announced $124 million in budget adjustments to allow the state to keep paying its bills on time.
- Kansas Supreme Court to take up school funding case Updated: Nov-05-15 6:39 pm
KANSAS CITY, Missouri - A case that has the potential to increase funding for Kansas schools goes before the state Supreme Court on Friday, the same day that economists, legislative researchers and officials in Gov. Sam Brownback's administration are expected to announce new, more pessimistic revenue projections.