- Judge rules politics not a factor in security team selection Updated: Jun-29-16 8:39 pm
CHICAGO - A federal judge has ruled against four Chicago police officers who contended they were transferred off Mayor Rahm Emanuel's security detail for political reasons.
- Review: City lawyers hid evidence of police misconduct Updated: Jun-29-16 1:54 pm
CHICAGO - When a federal judge concluded that a lawyer employed by the city of Chicago concealed audio evidence in a civil trial, the court issued a sharp rebuke, saying the recordings showed police lied about the events that led officers to shoot and kill a black motorist.
- GOP, Democrats say progress made in Illinois budget talks Updated: Jun-28-16 9:51 pm
CHICAGO - Gov. Bruce Rauner and majority Democrats were pushing competing plans to ensure schools stay open and government operations continue, though there were signs late Tuesday that the two sides could reach a deal on stopgap spending as Illinois approaches a second year without a full state budget.
- Lucas abandons plan to build museum in Chicago after lawsuit Updated: Jun-24-16 4:37 pm
CHICAGO - "Star Wars" creator George Lucas announced Friday that he has abandoned plans to build his art museum in Chicago, blaming delays over a lawsuit from a parks group opposed to development along the city's prized lakefront.
- The Latest: Parks group says Lucas decision 'unfortunate' Updated: Jun-24-16 3:12 pm
CHICAGO - The Latest on filmmaker George Lucas withdrawing his plans to build an art museum in Chicago (all times local):
- Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in Illinois Updated: Jun-15-16 8:48 pm
June 13, 2016
- Ex-Illinois governor petitions for Chicago mayor term limits Updated: Jun-12-16 9:18 pm
CHICAGO - Former Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn kicked off a signature drive Sunday to impose a two-term limit on Chicago's mayor and create a citywide elected consumer advocate position.
- Chicago police increase security after Florida shooting Updated: Jun-12-16 8:23 pm
CHICAGO - Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says the city won't be intimidated after a shooting inside a Florida gay nightclub left at least 50 people dead.
- Chicago's airports receive $56 million in federal grants Updated: Jun-11-16 9:16 am
CHICAGO - Chicago's two major airports are receiving more than $56 million in federal grants for improvement projects and runway construction.
- Chicago police superintendent praised predecessor in email Updated: Jun-10-16 10:58 am
CHICAGO - Newly released documents show that current Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson sent an email praising predecessor Garry McCarthy the day McCarthy was fired.
- Rauners appear together at youth policy panel amid lawsuit Updated: Jun-09-16 8:20 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner and his wife, Diana, made a rare joint appearance Thursday at a cabinet discussion about youth policies amid her nonprofit group's involvement in a lawsuit against his administration.
- Winners announced in 2015 Illinois APME contest Updated: Jun-09-16 3:01 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Winners of the Illinois Associated Press Media Editors contest were announced June 9, in Springfield.
- Awkward: Illinois governor sued by wife's nonprofit Updated: Jun-08-16 6:12 pm
CHICAGO - A lifelong Democrat, Bruce Rauner's wife Diana campaigned enthusiastically for the Republican multimillionaire businessman during his 2014 bid for Illinois governor.
- Ex-Spokane chief hired to lead Chicago police reform effort Updated: Jun-07-16 1:43 pm
CHICAGO - A former candidate to be Chicago's police superintendent has been named to lead an effort to oversee reforms within the Chicago Police Department.
- US cities see unexplained rise in violent crimes this year Updated: Jun-05-16 3:23 pm
CHICAGO - Violent crimes - from homicides and rapes to robberies - have been on the rise in many major U.S. cities, yet experts can't point to a single reason why and the jump isn't enough to suggest there's a trend.
- Chicago videos offer startling glimpses of police encounters Updated: Jun-03-16 4:11 pm
CHICAGO - Authorities released hundreds of videos Friday that offer startling glimpses into violent encounters involving Chicago police, including the fatal shooting of a robbery suspect speeding toward them in a van and an incident when an officer slammed his night stick against a man's head at a party.
- LATEST: Chicago mayor: 'More work to do' on transparency Updated: Jun-03-16 12:49 pm
CHICAGO - The Latest on the release of videos and other materials by the Chicago agency that investigates police misconduct (all times local):
- Gov. Rauner, Rahm Emanuel trade barbs during budget impasse Updated: Jun-02-16 4:54 pm
CHICAGO - Gov. Bruce Rauner and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel are trading barbs amid Illinois' budget impasse with Emanuel comparing Rauner to Donald Trump while the governor tours the state.
- Judge: Chicago mayor's emails aren't exempt from disclosure Updated: Jun-01-16 3:55 pm
CHICAGO - A judge has determined that Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel's emails, texts and other communications transmitted over private devices aren't exempt from disclosure.
- Chicago's top cop: All officers now trained to use stun guns Updated: Jun-01-16 6:52 am
CHCAGO - Chicago's police superintendent says all officers who respond to calls now have had training in using stun guns.