- The Latest: Kerry says Russia, Assad not complying with UN Updated: Feb-05-16 4:22 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria (all times Syria local):
- Grandson of Iran's Islamic Republic founder barred from poll Updated: Jan-26-16 7:18 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The grandson of the founder of Iran's Islamic Republic has been barred from running for a top clerical body, his family said Tuesday, as the country prepares for crucial elections next month.
- Iran moves assets, awaits benefits as sanctions are lifted Updated: Jan-19-16 10:25 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran successfully transferred some of the billions of dollars' worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of the nuclear deal with world powers, the head of the country's central bank said Tuesday. But ordinary Iranians are still waiting to see how their daily lives will improve and how fast Iranian companies will gain access to financial markets worldwide.
- Iran's top leader expresses 'pessimism' after nuclear deal Updated: Jan-19-16 6:40 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's top leader on Tuesday called for vigilance in ensuring that world powers meet their commitments under a newly implemented nuclear deal while expressing "pessimism" about U.S. intentions, state media reported.
- 2 Iranian poets, facing lashings and prison, escape country Updated: Jan-18-16 9:32 am
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two Iranian poets who face lashings and prison sentences have fled Iran, one of the writers said Monday, a rare escape for local artists and activists ensnared in an ongoing crackdown on expression in the country.
- Iran warmly welcomes sanctions' end, though long thaw ahead Updated: Jan-16-16 6:32 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - The announcement on Saturday that Iran had satisfied its obligations under a nuclear deal with world powers was expected to pave the way for a new economic reality in the Islamic Republic, free from years of harsh international economic sanctions.