- Canada beats Finland 2-0 to win world hockey championship Updated: May-22-16 5:03 pm
MOSCOW - Canada defeated previously unbeaten Finland 2-0 in the gold medal game at the world ice hockey championship on Sunday.
- Caps' GM says it's on him to keep Ovechkin's Cup window open Updated: May-17-16 1:32 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - There are hints of gray in Alex Ovechkin's hair now and his 31st birthday is a few months away.
- Canada routs Slovakia 5-0 to secure worlds quarterfinal spot Updated: May-14-16 3:47 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Canada secured a place in the quarterfinals of the world ice hockey championship by beating Slovakia 5-0 on Saturday, while Finland and host nation Russia also qualified with two games remaining.
- Capitals consider season a 'failure' after second-round exit Updated: May-12-16 4:58 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Alex Ovechkin looked up at the clock on the scoreboard and knew exactly what he would've been doing if the Washington Capitals were preparing for a Game 7. Instead, he was left to address another early playoff exit that has become an unwelcome rite of spring.
- Caps latest Presidents' Trophy champs to go poof in playoffs Updated: May-11-16 5:16 pm
Alex Ovechkin and the Washington Capitals became the latest in a long line of NHL teams to discover regular-season dominance doesn't translate into playoff prominence.
- Russia calls up Ovechkin to worlds after playoff loss Updated: May-11-16 9:21 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The Russian Hockey Federation says it is calling up forward Alex Ovechkin and Washington Capitals teammates Evgeny Kuznetsov and Dmitry Orlov for the world championships.
- Boudreau in Minnesota: 'This is the last place I'm going' Updated: May-10-16 6:27 pm
ST. PAUL, Minnesota - Bruce Boudreau's teams have been remarkably consistent and successful over nearly a decade on the bench in the NHL.
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins Updated: May-08-16 2:46 pm
WASHINGTON - When the Los Angeles Kings blew two chances to win the Stanley Cup in 2012, the pressure was on going into Game 6 back at home. Justin Williams gave a pregame speech that defenseman Drew Doughty said he'll never forget.
- Ovechkin a force as Capitals beat Penguins to stay alive Updated: May-07-16 11:22 pm
WASHINGTON - Alex Ovechkin's teammates watched him turn his game up to a whole new level. Then the Washington Capitals followed him all the way to Game 6.
- Lesser names hogging spotlight for Penguins, Capitals Updated: May-05-16 5:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - The well-traveled defenseman filling in for his team's most indispensable player scored the first goal. The seemingly ageless center closing in on his 40th birthday scored the second. And the winger who makes a living trying to create space for Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby delivered the overtime winner that brought the Penguins within one victory of a spot in the Eastern Conference finals.
- Rookie goaltender Murray stealing the show for Penguins Updated: May-03-16 6:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Murray isn't in the mood to think about what it all means, this ride that he's on. The NHL's best team on the other side of the ice. His mentor watching from bench. An arena chanting his name.