- Pressure builds on Paul Ryan to run for House speaker Updated: Oct-09-15 1:24 pm
WASHINGTON - The pressure is on Rep. Paul Ryan, the GOP vice presidential nominee in 2012, to run for House speaker in the chaotic aftermath of Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's sudden decision to abandon his campaign for the post.
- The Republicans' Mr. Congeniality drops out of speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 3:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Mainstream lawmakers saw Kevin McCarthy as an honest broker in ragged times. Those farther on the right worried that, as House speaker, he might obstruct their obstructionism.
- The Latest: Boehner to stay until House votes to replace him Updated: Oct-08-15 2:10 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on the chaos among House Republicans after Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy withdrew his candidacy for speaker (all times local):
- Paul Ryan reiterates he's not interested in being speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 1:20 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan does not want to be speaker of the House.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP delegate gets vote for Speaker race Updated: Oct-08-15 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - It's a long, long way from Pago Pago to the halls of Congress, and Aumua Amata Coleman Radewagen, a Republican delegate from American Samoa is rarely sighted in the halls of the Capitol. She doesn't have a vote on the floor on behalf of her 55,000 constituents halfway around the globe.
- House election: Republicans challenge McCarthy for speaker Updated: Oct-08-15 10:12 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy is the front-runner in the race to become the next speaker, but he faces two Republican opponents who are trying to draw some of his support.
- Ohio Senate president won't seek Boehner's House seat Updated: Oct-08-15 3:02 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio - The Republican leader of the Ohio Senate says he won't join the race for the U.S. House seat being vacated by Speaker John Boehner (BAY'-nur), but he's keeping his options open for a statewide bid.
- House OKs special panel to probe Planned Parenthood Updated: Oct-07-15 5:38 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led House voted Wednesday to create a special panel to investigate Planned Parenthood and its procurement of fetal tissue as the GOP continued pressing an issue that has galvanized conservatives since secret videos surfaced this summer.
- Senate OKs massive defense bill, sends measure to Obama Updated: Oct-07-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress on Wednesday sent President Barack Obama a sweeping $612 billion defense policy bill that he has threatened to veto over an ongoing battle between Democrats and Republicans about government spending.
- House conservatives oppose McCarthy, search for alternative Updated: Oct-07-15 5:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House's most hard-edged conservatives are anxious to derail Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's bid to become speaker, but they're outnumbered and their chosen candidate lacks support. That leaves the Californian the heavy favorite when Republicans pick their candidate to replace John Boehner on Thursday.
- GOP chairman on McCarthy's comments: 'Kevin screwed up' Updated: Oct-07-15 3:17 pm
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the committee investigating the 2012 Benghazi attacks said Wednesday that House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy "screwed up" when he suggested the probe was useful in driving down Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton's poll numbers.
- Boehner booked to visit Jimmy Fallon Updated: Oct-07-15 1:15 pm
NEW YORK - Outgoing House Speaker John Boehner is joining the parade of politicians to visit late-night TV.
- Louisiana editorial roundup Updated: Oct-07-15 1:08 pm
Recent editorials from Louisiana newspapers:
- After past opposition, SC delegation now seeks flood aid Updated: Oct-06-15 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - South Carolina's congressional delegation is vowing to make sure the state gets federal help to recover from the historic flooding from massive rains.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Oct-06-15 1:49 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 1
- Clinton ad seizes on Rep. McCarthy's Benghazi comments Updated: Oct-06-15 10:14 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is running a new ad that seizes on House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's admission that the Benghazi committee can take credit for her diminished public standing.
- Q&A: How does the House elect a new speaker? Updated: Oct-05-15 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - At noon on Thursday, Republicans will gather behind closed doors and vote by secret ballot for their candidate for the most powerful job in the House, a post that's second in line to the presidency - Speaker of the House.
- Chaffetz made career by confronting establishment Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - One-time college placekicker Jason Chaffetz wants to boot Republican House leaders off their path to promotions.
- Obama: No more temporary spending bills, budget deal needed Updated: Oct-02-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday he won't sign another temporary government funding bill after the current one expires Dec. 11, insisting that congressional Republicans and Democrats work out a long-term budget deal with the White House.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- Obama: I won't negotiate over raising US borrowing cap Updated: Oct-02-15 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says he won't give Republicans controlling Congress concessions on must-pass legislation to increase the government's borrowing cap.
- Treasury: Nov. 5 deadline for Congress to act on debt limit Updated: Oct-01-15 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadline for Congress to increase the government's borrowing limit is coming earlier than expected, moving up to about Nov. 5.
- Senate majority leader seems safe for now after Boehner exit Updated: Sep-29-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Try as they may, there's no sign that conservatives chirping over the departure of House Speaker John Boehner will be able to claim Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as their next pelt.
- Noah takes over as 'Daily Show' host, praises Stewart Updated: Sep-29-15 8:55 am
NEW YORK - South African comic Trevor Noah moved in at "The Daily Show" on Monday, promising he'd try not to make predecessor Jon Stewart seem like a "crazy old dude who left his inheritance to some random kid from Africa."
- House speaker candidate talks basics: highways, agencies Updated: Sep-29-15 8:03 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who hopes to become speaker, is talking about fixing some basics of government after years of social issues rocking his party.