- McCarthy tells GOP conservatives 'I'm not John Boehner' Updated: Oct-06-15 11:58 pm
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy promised conservative GOP lawmakers Tuesday "I'm not John Boehner" as he sought their support to replace Boehner as speaker.
- After past opposition, SC delegation now seeks flood aid Updated: Oct-06-15 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - South Carolina's congressional delegation is vowing to make sure the state gets federal help to recover from the historic flooding from massive rains.
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Oct-06-15 1:49 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, Oct. 1
- Clinton ad seizes on Rep. McCarthy's Benghazi comments Updated: Oct-06-15 10:14 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton is running a new ad that seizes on House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy's admission that the Benghazi committee can take credit for her diminished public standing.
- Q&A: How does the House elect a new speaker? Updated: Oct-05-15 4:43 pm
WASHINGTON - At noon on Thursday, Republicans will gather behind closed doors and vote by secret ballot for their candidate for the most powerful job in the House, a post that's second in line to the presidency - Speaker of the House.
- Chaffetz made career by confronting establishment Updated: Oct-05-15 8:09 am
WASHINGTON - One-time college placekicker Jason Chaffetz wants to boot Republican House leaders off their path to promotions.
- Obama: No more temporary spending bills, budget deal needed Updated: Oct-02-15 6:11 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday he won't sign another temporary government funding bill after the current one expires Dec. 11, insisting that congressional Republicans and Democrats work out a long-term budget deal with the White House.
- Q&A: Gun control prospects in GOP-run Congress remain remote Updated: Oct-02-15 5:56 pm
WASHINGTON - Another mass shooting, another appearance by a stricken-looking President Barack Obama expressing anguish and frustration over congressional inaction on gun control laws.
- Obama: I won't negotiate over raising US borrowing cap Updated: Oct-02-15 4:45 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama says he won't give Republicans controlling Congress concessions on must-pass legislation to increase the government's borrowing cap.
- AP Sources: Chaffetz to seek speaker bid against McCarthy Updated: Oct-02-15 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - Republican Rep. Jason Chaffetz of Utah is planning to run for House speaker in a surprise longshot challenge to House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy.
- Treasury: Nov. 5 deadline for Congress to act on debt limit Updated: Oct-01-15 6:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The deadline for Congress to increase the government's borrowing limit is coming earlier than expected, moving up to about Nov. 5.
- Facing Congress, Planned Parenthood chief rebuts videos Updated: Sep-29-15 5:34 pm
WASHINGTON - The head of Planned Parenthood defended the women's health organization Tuesday before a Republican-run Congress bent on slashing its federal funding, telling lawmakers that accusations against her group fed by stealthily recorded videos are "offensive and categorically untrue."
- Senate majority leader seems safe for now after Boehner exit Updated: Sep-29-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Try as they may, there's no sign that conservatives chirping over the departure of House Speaker John Boehner will be able to claim Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as their next pelt.
- Noah takes over as 'Daily Show' host, praises Stewart Updated: Sep-29-15 8:55 am
NEW YORK - South African comic Trevor Noah moved in at "The Daily Show" on Monday, promising he'd try not to make predecessor Jon Stewart seem like a "crazy old dude who left his inheritance to some random kid from Africa."
- House speaker candidate talks basics: highways, agencies Updated: Sep-29-15 8:03 am
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, who hopes to become speaker, is talking about fixing some basics of government after years of social issues rocking his party.
- McMorris Rodgers won't run for House majority leader Updated: Sep-29-15 12:11 am
SEATTLE - U.S. Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers of Spokane ended speculation Monday, saying in a statement she won't join the race for House majority leader.
- Comer greeted at hemp meeting, plans return to private life Updated: Sep-28-15 5:40 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Agriculture Commissioner James Comer said Monday he plans to "ride off into the sunset" when his term ends in December after an agonizing defeat in May's Republican primary for governor by just 83 votes.
- McCarthy calls for beefed-up US response against IS, Russia Updated: Sep-28-15 2:43 pm
WASHINGTON - House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the front-runner to replace House Speaker John Boehner, denounced President Barack Obama's foreign policy on Monday, saying the U.S. has "lost the respect of allies and adversaries alike."
- Whitehouse calls on House to pass funding for highways Updated: Sep-28-15 1:50 pm
PROVIDENCE, Rhode Island - U.S. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse says he's trying to pressure the Republican-controlled House of Representatives into passing a transportation bill.
- Boehner: No government shutdown Updated: Sep-27-15 11:23 am
WASHINGTON - House Speaker John Boehner says there will be no government shutdown when funding runs out this week.
- GOP religious conservatives channeling anger toward victory Updated: Sep-27-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - Religious activists in the Republican Party, bolstered by House Speaker John Boehner's sudden exit, say the next GOP presidential nominee must share their uncompromising stance on abortion rights, gay marriage and other priorities to get to the White House.
- Boehner's decision to leave the House surprises constituents Updated: Sep-26-15 2:54 am
WEST CHESTER, Ohio - People in the Ohio district that House Speaker John Boehner has represented for decades are stunned by his decision to step down, nearly 35 years after he first won election there as township trustee.
- Trademarks: Pack up the hankies and wine, Boehner's leaving Updated: Sep-26-15 2:53 am
WASHINGTON - When John Boehner quits the Capitol next month, the Hill will lose a dash of color - and not just his oft-mocked orangey tan.
- Odds-on favorite for next speaker known for political skill Updated: Sep-26-15 2:51 am
WASHINGTON - Rep. Kevin McCarthy has risen to the upper reaches of House leadership mostly on the basis of his people skills and political smarts rather than his policy chops.
- Boehner's resignation prompts cheers among GOP's right wing Updated: Sep-26-15 2:49 am
WASHINGTON - The news of House Speaker John Boehner's resignation brought hundreds of religious conservatives to their feet to cheer - and one after another, much of the Republican Party's presidential class joined in their rejoicing.