- The Greatest Spectacle in Racing remains an American icon Updated: May-25-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 has outlasted two world wars, the decline of the automobile industry, a bitter split in open-wheel racing and more death than anyone cares to recall.
- Indy 500 champions choose Andretti as best to never win Updated: May-25-16 9:16 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The words were stunning as they flew out of announcer Paul Page's mouth in the waning laps of the 1992 Indianapolis 500.
- Highlights from the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-24-16 1:01 pm
RACE: 98th Indianapolis 500
- Indy 500 champions call safety measures greatest innovation Updated: May-24-16 2:20 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Imagine climbing into your sedan in the driveway and not putting on a seatbelt, then trying to back out onto a busy street without the benefit of a rear-view mirror.
- Indy 500 champions choose 1992 finish as greatest race Updated: May-23-16 10:43 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Ryan Hunter-Reay admits to being biased when asked about the greatest race in Indianapolis 500 history. He also makes it clear that picking his own victory in 2014 is based more on merit than ego.
- Hinchcliffe passes Newgarden on final run for Indy 500 pole Updated: May-22-16 7:34 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - James Hinchcliffe watched the Indianapolis 500 last year from his hospital bed. He had nearly died from injuries six days earlier in a crash at famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Some of the worst crashes in Indianapolis 500 history Updated: May-20-16 3:10 am
INDIANAPOLIS - High speed, risky maneuvers and a crowded field have always been a dangerous combination at the Indianapolis 500. But at a race that has too often ended in tragedy for drivers, crew members and fans, the most spectacular crashes are often the most unforgettable. As Indy celebrates its 100th race on May 29, The Associated Press looks back at some of the worst crashes over the past century.
- Indianapolis 500 moments, from four-time winners to tragedy Updated: May-19-16 2:10 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 is full of significant moments, from the return of racing in 1946 to the celebration of four-time race winners, stirring finishes and tragic deaths. With the 100th running of one of the world's most famous races set for May 29, The Associated Press looks back at some of the most memorable moments in race history in a chronological and completely subjective list:
- After 2 decades, Luyendyk is still Indy's fastest driver Updated: May-18-16 7:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Twenty years and one week after Arie Luyendyk became the fastest man to conquer Indianapolis Motor Speedway's 2.5-mile oval, his records remain untouched and unchallenged.
- NASCAR champion Johnson gets animated for Nickelodeon Updated: May-18-16 3:35 pm
From cars to cartoons, Jimmie Johnson's next dash at the track comes in animated form.
- Pagenaud adds another pole win to dominant start at Indy GP Updated: May-13-16 9:14 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Simon Pagenaud keeps finding ways to stay ahead of the IndyCar pack.
- Staying grounded: Castroneves knows goal of IndyCar changes Updated: May-03-16 8:03 pm
FORT WORTH, Texas - Helio Castroneves has no desire in being airborne and upside down again at Indianapolis. Neither does IndyCar, which is making changes in hopes of preventing those kinds of scary flips at high-speed tracks.