- Senators try to revive criminal justice overhaul Updated: Apr-28-16 3:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan group of senators unveiled legislation on Thursday to give judges more discretion in sentencing offenders, a renewed push to overhaul the nation's criminal justice system after objections from some conservatives and Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.
- Senators call on Obama to investigate sexual assault cases Updated: Apr-19-16 11:35 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Barack Obama is being urged by two U.S. senators to investigate whether the Pentagon misled Congress with information about sexual assault cases in an effort to undercut support for a Senate bill that senior military officials steadfastly oppose.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Republicans want answers on visit to Iran Updated: Apr-13-16 6:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Stop us if you've heard this one. Three guys walk into ... the Iranian Interests Section in Washington.
- Iowa coffee shop menu reflects Grassley meeting with Garland Updated: Apr-12-16 6:03 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A downtown Des Moines coffee shop is changing its menu to commemorate Sen. Charles Grassley's meeting with U.S. Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.
- GOP Senate OKs Obama judicial nominee for Tennessee Updated: Apr-11-16 11:28 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led Senate easily confirmed President Barack Obama's pick for a Tennessee federal judgeship on Monday, even as the GOP maintained its blockade against considering Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy.
- Grassley supporter calls for hearings, vote on court nominee Updated: Apr-11-16 9:03 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A Des Moines lawyer who helped manage Chuck Grassley's first U.S. Senate campaign and is considered a friend says it's time for Grassley and Republican Senate leaders to "man up and vote" on a U.S. Supreme Court nominee.
- Ex-American Bar Association chiefs push for vote on Garland Updated: Apr-11-16 6:03 am
WASHINGTON - Fifteen former American Bar Association presidents are joining the push to urge Republicans to consider President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee.
- Medicare payment plan on cancer drugs sparks furious battle Updated: Apr-10-16 8:20 am
WASHINGTON - A Medicare proposal to test new ways of paying for chemotherapy and other drugs given in a doctor's office has sparked a furious battle, and cancer doctors are demanding that the Obama administration scrap the experiment.
- Nominee Garland smiles, stays quiet while in public view Updated: Apr-06-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - "Cubs or White Sox?"
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Grassley takes on Chief Justice Roberts Updated: Apr-05-16 6:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Judiciary Chairman Charles Grassley on Tuesday warned Chief Justice John Roberts to stay out of the Senate's fight over the Supreme Court's vacancy, accusing the current court of being overly political.
- Obama to push Supreme Court nominee at University of Chicago Updated: Apr-01-16 7:26 pm
WASHINGTON - Kansas Republican Sen. Jerry Moran is backtracking on his willingness to hold a hearing and vote on President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee, reversing course after infuriating conservatives.