- Indy 500 winners determine best drivers, greatest races Updated: May-27-16 10:52 am
INDIANAPOLIS - In the lead-up to the 100th running of the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," The Associated Press interviewed the 27 living race winners on topics ranging from the greatest driver to most memorable moment.
- Penske the standard of excellence at Indy after 50 years Updated: May-26-16 4:26 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1951 when Jay Penske scored a pair of tickets to the Indianapolis 500. He was an executive for a metal fabrication company in Cleveland that was sponsoring a few laps in the race, so he brought his 14-year-old son to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Meet the man Indy 500 champions say saved the race Updated: May-26-16 9:54 am
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1945 and the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway was in disrepair. Already in desperate need of improvements, a third of Gasoline Alley had burned four years earlier. Then came World War II and a four-year hiatus for the Indianapolis 500.
- Indy 500 champions choose the greatest rivalries of the race Updated: May-25-16 4:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Mario Andretti silently stewed as Bobby Unser celebrated winning the 1981 Indianapolis 500.
- The Greatest Spectacle in Racing remains an American icon Updated: May-25-16 3:49 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 has outlasted two world wars, the decline of the automobile industry, a bitter split in open-wheel racing and more death than anyone cares to recall.
- Indy 500 champions choose Andretti as best to never win Updated: May-25-16 9:16 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The words were stunning as they flew out of announcer Paul Page's mouth in the waning laps of the 1992 Indianapolis 500.
- Highlights from the 98th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-24-16 1:01 pm
RACE: 98th Indianapolis 500
- Column: Hornish doesn't regret how career quietly faded Updated: May-23-16 5:09 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Some drivers fear the end of their career. They hang on long past their prime, trying to find a ride, any ride, in every desperate attempt at another shot at a checkered flag.
- Indy 500 champions choose their most memorable moments Updated: May-23-16 1:56 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Long before he won the Indianapolis 500, Al Unser was an up-and-coming 25-year-old sprint car driver who had showed up at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to watch his older brother try to qualify.
- Indianapolis 500 moments, from four-time winners to tragedy Updated: May-19-16 2:10 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 is full of significant moments, from the return of racing in 1946 to the celebration of four-time race winners, stirring finishes and tragic deaths. With the 100th running of one of the world's most famous races set for May 29, The Associated Press looks back at some of the most memorable moments in race history in a chronological and completely subjective list: