- Beyonce's Super Bowl show bringing both praise and criticism Updated: Feb-08-16 7:46 pm
A day after the Super Bowl, people are still parsing over each frame from Beyonce's halftime performance, trying to glean the messages, both subtle and overt, that made for a stunning display of unapologetic blackness and political activism during one of the most-watched events of the year.
- Michael B. Jordan wins big at NAACP Image Awards Updated: Feb-06-16 3:56 am
LOS ANGELES - It was a total knockout for Michael B. Jordan at the NAACP Image Awards in a ceremony that took several jabs at Hollywood for the lack of racial diversity.
- Singer Andra Day rises as soul songstress Updated: Feb-04-16 12:54 pm
ATLANTA - A phone call from Stevie Wonder changed Andra Day's life. He called Day and asked if he could work with her.
- 'Teen Wolf' Tyler Posey shows his funny side at Sundance Updated: Jan-28-16 6:58 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - Tyler Posey is having the ultimate Sundance experience.
- In Oscars crisis, Chris Rock and a microphone loom large Updated: Jan-26-16 2:40 pm
NEW YORK - When Chris Rock first hosted the Oscars in 2005, the four black actors nominated that year - Morgan Freeman, Don Cheadle, Sophie Okonedo and Jamie Foxx (twice!) - didn't escape his notice.
- Spike Lee's Michael Jackson doc a tribute to his music Updated: Jan-25-16 1:56 am
PARK CITY, Utah - As a young artist, Michael Jackson knew he wanted to be legendary.
- Obamas' love blooms in 'Southside With You' Updated: Jan-24-16 7:02 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - It's the sweet, romantic story of a first date - albeit the fictionalized first date of the couple who currently occupy the White House.
- Spike Lee lauds academy changes, still plans to skip Oscars Updated: Jan-23-16 5:14 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - Spike Lee applauds the Academy for making changes to increase diversity in its ranks, but he is still skipping the Oscars.
- Macklemore explores his 'White Privilege' in new rap song Updated: Jan-23-16 3:48 pm
NEW YORK - Macklemore explores racism and hip-hop in a new song called "White Privilege II," rapping about a white person's position in society with black people fighting injustice and even namechecking Iggy Azalea for appropriating black culture, along with himself.
- Hollywood reax swift, positive to Oscar diversity measures Updated: Jan-22-16 7:31 pm
The Academy's proposed changes to increase diversity in the Oscars prompted swift and positive reaction in Hollywood, with many praising the moves while still noting that the Academy Awards are only part of the problem, and only part of the solution.
- The Latest: Cheadle says diversity issue goes beyond Academy Updated: Jan-22-16 7:15 pm
BEVERLY HILLS, California - The latest on Friday's statement by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences on a series of diversity reforms approved by the board of governors late Thursday (all times PST):
- Robert Redford addresses diversity in film at Sundance Updated: Jan-21-16 5:49 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - As the Sundance Film Festival kicked off on Thursday, founder Robert Redford weighed in on the controversy over the lack of diversity this year among Oscar nominees in acting categories.
- Sundance fest promises films on race, sexuality, violence Updated: Jan-21-16 3:20 pm
PARK CITY, Utah - The culmination of the Sundance Institute's year-round work developing fresh perspectives in drama and documentary films is taking over Park City, Utah, for the next 11 days.
- Will Smith joins Oscars boycott, says he won't attend Updated: Jan-21-16 1:59 pm
NEW YORK - Will Smith says he will not attend the Academy Awards next month, joining his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, and others in protest against two straight years of all-white acting nominees.
- Path to reform for Oscars starts with studios, academy Updated: Jan-20-16 4:30 pm
NEW YORK - Change at the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences, where membership is for life, does not come easily. As Spike Lee said on Tuesday, its 6,000-plus membership can't be changed "hocus pocus, presto chango" overnight.
- Lupita Nyong'o says Oscar nominations 'disappointing' Updated: Jan-20-16 3:54 pm
NEW YORK - Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong'o says she's "disappointed" by "the lack of inclusion" in this year's Oscar nominations.
- Calls for boycott of Oscars grow over diversity of nominees Updated: Jan-19-16 10:24 am
NEW YORK - Amid calls for a boycott of the Academy Awards over its all-white acting nominees and Spike Lee and Jada Pinkett Smith both announcing they would sit out this year's ceremony, the academy's president said it was time for major changes - and soon.
- Ruby Dee documentary offers her pearls of wisdom Updated: Jan-14-16 1:37 pm
NEW YORK - The late Ruby Dee was many things - an artist, an activist and a pioneer of stage and screen. But she was also something equally important - a grandmother.
- Nets beat Knicks 110-104 to end 10-game home skid Updated: Jan-13-16 11:26 pm
NEW YORK - With Spike Lee barking at referees from a sideline seat and the Knicks wearing their white uniforms, it felt like a game at Madison Square Garden.
- Veteran Hollywood publicist talks movies, memories Updated: Jan-11-16 2:28 pm
LOS ANGELES - Publicist Dick Guttman, a prominent part of the Hollywood dream machine for 60 years, is sharing memories and his favorite movies with Turner Classic Movies host Robert Osborne.