- Agriculture secretary to talk opioid abuse in Appalachia Updated: Jun-29-16 12:56 pm
CHARLESTON, West Virginia - As President Barack Obama's administration prods Congress to pump $1.1 billion more into substance abuse treatment, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack is heading to Appalachia on Thursday to discuss how opioid addiction is devastating the region.
- US giving $48 million to help West deal with drought Updated: Jun-23-16 6:23 pm
BRIGHTON, Colorado - The Obama administration is awarding $48 million in grants in 13 states, mostly in the West, to help farmers and others conserve water and energy amid drought and climate change.
- Feds: Drought kills 66 million trees in California's Sierra Updated: Jun-22-16 10:57 pm
FRESNO, California - The number of trees in California's Sierra Nevada forests killed by drought, a bark beetle epidemic and warmer temperatures has dramatically increased since last year, raising fears they will fuel catastrophic wildfires and endanger people's lives, officials said Wednesday.
- Maine governor threatens to halt federal food stamp program Updated: Jun-21-16 1:58 pm
PORTLAND, Maine - Republican Gov. Paul LePage is threatening to halt Maine's administration of the federal food stamp program if he can't ban recipients from buying products such as Mars bars and Mountain Dew.
- Obama administration designates 9 new promise zones Updated: Jun-06-16 6:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration has added nine communities to its effort to ease access to federal aid and cut red tape for areas beset by joblessness, hunger, crime and poor housing.