- Indy 500 winners determine best drivers, greatest races Updated: May-27-16 10:52 am
INDIANAPOLIS - In the lead-up to the 100th running of the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," The Associated Press interviewed the 27 living race winners on topics ranging from the greatest driver to most memorable moment.
- Penske the standard of excellence at Indy after 50 years Updated: May-26-16 4:26 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1951 when Jay Penske scored a pair of tickets to the Indianapolis 500. He was an executive for a metal fabrication company in Cleveland that was sponsoring a few laps in the race, so he brought his 14-year-old son to Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- Greatest drivers at Indy? Try Foyt and Mears amid debate Updated: May-26-16 1:58 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - To win the Indianapolis 500, a driver must weather months of preparation then two stressful weeks of hype leading into "The Greatest Spectacle In Racing." When the race actually begins, every driver is tested on skill, talent, luck, strategy, endurance and perseverance.
- Meet the man Indy 500 champions say saved the race Updated: May-26-16 9:54 am
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1945 and the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway was in disrepair. Already in desperate need of improvements, a third of Gasoline Alley had burned four years earlier. Then came World War II and a four-year hiatus for the Indianapolis 500.
- Column: Hornish doesn't regret how career quietly faded Updated: May-23-16 5:09 pm
CHARLOTTE, North Carolina - Some drivers fear the end of their career. They hang on long past their prime, trying to find a ride, any ride, in every desperate attempt at another shot at a checkered flag.
- Innovation a hallmark of cars at Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-21-16 10:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - With the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 set for May 29, The Associated Press looks at cars that have changed the race over the years. The list is completely subjective:
- Indianapolis 500 moments, from four-time winners to tragedy Updated: May-19-16 2:10 am
INDIANAPOLIS - The Indianapolis 500 is full of significant moments, from the return of racing in 1946 to the celebration of four-time race winners, stirring finishes and tragic deaths. With the 100th running of one of the world's most famous races set for May 29, The Associated Press looks back at some of the most memorable moments in race history in a chronological and completely subjective list:
- The AP's Indianapolis 500 All-Star starting lineup Updated: May-18-16 2:11 am
INDIANAPOLIS - As the Indianapolis 500 celebrates its centennial race May 29, The Associated Press has come up with a completely subjective all-star, 33-driver starting field. The list includes multiple winners, innovators, fan favorites and trend-setters. They may not be the best drivers in race history, but all of them have helped shaped the event. The field is listed in the traditional three-car, 11-row starting grid with a synopsis of each row.
- Montoya undeterred by spoils of defending Indy 500 champ Updated: May-15-16 1:10 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Juan Pablo Montoya spent his first week in Indianapolis surrounded by autograph seekers in Gasoline Alley.
- Pagenaud expands IndyCar lead with 3rd straight victory Updated: May-14-16 7:40 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Simon Pagenaud turned up the heat in Indianapolis' record-breaking cold Saturday.
- Experience helping Pagenaud make early championship push Updated: May-12-16 5:37 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Simon Pagenaud is all business this week in Indianapolis.
- Highlights from the 85th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-11-16 3:51 pm
RACE: 85th Indianapolis 500
- Highlights from the 78th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-04-16 5:32 pm
RACE: 78th Indianapolis 500