- In year of diplomatic triumphs, Obama still dogged by Syria Updated: Sep-29-15 4:35 pm
NEW YORK - In a year of diplomatic breakthroughs, President Barack Obama can't escape the shadow of Syria's intractable crisis.
- US, Cuba leaders meet for 2nd time in this year Updated: Sep-29-15 1:49 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Making good on a pledge to change U.S. posture toward Cuba, President Barack Obama held talks Tuesday with Cuban President Raul Castro, the second time the leaders of the once-estranged nations have met this year.
- Heitkamp meets with Cuban leader about agricultural exports Updated: Sep-28-15 12:25 pm
FARGO, North Dakota - North Dakota Sen. Heidi Heitkamp says she's hoping that a face-to-face meeting with Cuban President Raul Castro will open the door to more U.S. agricultural exports.
- After success with Iran, pope, next stop for Obama is UN Updated: Sep-27-15 3:31 pm
NEW YORK - Fresh from successes on Iran and with the pope, President Barack Obama still carried heavy burdens into critical meetings this week at the U.N. General Assembly.
- New York City mayor meets with Cuban President Castro Updated: Sep-26-15 8:36 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (dih BLAH'-zee-oh) has met with Cuban President Raul Castro.
- NY Gov. Cuomo, Cuban President Castro talk economic ties Updated: Sep-25-15 4:22 pm
NEW YORK - New York's governor and the president of Cuba have met to discuss economic development as relations between the Caribbean nation and the U.S. continue to thaw.
- Pope of the poor arrives in US denying he's a liberal Updated: Sep-22-15 11:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The pope of the poor arrived for his first-ever visit to the world's wealthiest superpower Tuesday denying he is a leftist and riding in a frugal little family car, windows rolled down.
- The Latest: Pope Francis settles in for first night in US Updated: Sep-22-15 5:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments in Pope Francis' visit to the United States. All times local:
- Pope calls on Cubans to live 'revolution of tenderness' Updated: Sep-22-15 5:14 pm
SANTIAGO, Cuba - Pope Francis ended his four-day trip to Cuba on Tuesday by calling on Cubans to rediscover their Catholic heritage and live a "revolution of tenderness," powerful words in a country whose 1959 revolution installed an atheist, communist government that sought to replace the church as the guiding force in people's lives.
- The Latest: Pope Francis serenaded by Cuban girls' choir Updated: Sep-21-15 8:41 pm
HOLGUIN, Cuba - The latest developments in Pope Francis' visit to Cuba and the United States. All times local:
- Pope in Cuba begs Colombia, rebels to end conflict Updated: Sep-20-15 2:42 pm
HAVANA - Pope Francis begged the Colombian government and rebels on Sunday to end South America's longest-running conflict, saying they simply had no right to let ongoing peace talks fail.
- A look at Cuba's Cardinal Jaime Ortega Updated: Sep-20-15 1:11 pm
HAVANA - A look at Cuba's top Roman Catholic churchman, Cardinal Jaime Ortega, who at Mass on Sunday thanked Pope Francis for his work promoting detente between Havana and Washington and called for reconciliation between Cubans living on the island and elsewhere.
- A glance at current and past papal visits to Cuba Updated: Sep-19-15 12:04 am
HAVANA - Pope Francis will be the third Roman Catholic pontiff to visit Cuba when he arrives on Saturday.
- Obama, Raul Castro speak ahead of pope's visit to US, Cuba Updated: Sep-18-15 5:42 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro had a rare phone call Friday ahead of Pope Francis' impending visit to both their nations.
- Pope plans to duck dissidents in Cuba, spawning criticism Updated: Sep-18-15 11:41 am
HAVANA - Pope Francis plans to meet with Cuba's president and its priests, its young and its sick, its churchgoers and its seminarians as he travels around the island starting Saturday. But not with its dissidents.
- US, Cuban diplomats meet at Haiti hospital to provide care Updated: Sep-17-15 6:27 pm
PORT-AU-PRINCE, Haiti - American and Cuban diplomats met Thursday at a hospital outside Haiti's capital where U.S. medical teams were providing free care to poor families.
- Cubans hope pope will accelerate warming with US Updated: Sep-17-15 11:49 am
HAVANA - Seventeen years ago, a newly named Argentine archbishop laid out his thoughts on the meaning of a papal visit to Cuba.
- 'Pope Plan' transforms Havana, Cuban city known for decay Updated: Sep-16-15 10:06 am
HAVANA - Windows looking out on the Church of the Sacred Heart were covered with tattered newspapers. Wheel-swallowing potholes pitted the streets. Paint peeled off the walls in sheets.
- Cuba's Raul Castro to address UN global gathering this month Updated: Sep-15-15 1:04 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Raul Castro is expected to address the annual U.N. gathering of world leaders later this month for the first time.
- As pope set to visit, Church has boosted social work in Cuba Updated: Sep-15-15 2:02 am
HAVANA - As vespers drew to a close at the St. Egidio Catholic community center, a dozen homeless men in threadbare pants and rumpled T-shirts shuffled into a side room where volunteers handed out cups of soda and soft yellow rolls spread with mayonnaise.
- Cuba releasing 3,522 prisoners ahead of pope's visit Updated: Sep-11-15 11:11 pm
HAVANA - Cuba announced Friday that it is releasing 3,522 prisoners ahead of next week's visit by Pope Francis, the third time Cuba has granted inmates freedom before a papal trip.