- Here's a story of a lovely lady and Gomer at the Indy 500 Updated: May-28-16 12:42 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - They are the names that stamped the Indianapolis 500 as a four-wheeled slice of Americana from the heartland. Rick Mears. A.J. Foyt. The Andrettis. Helio Castroneves.
- IndyCar drivers find comfort in having strong safety team Updated: May-27-16 1:13 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Dario Franchitti doesn't remember the crash that ended his career three years ago in Houston.
- Indy 500 winners determine best drivers, greatest races Updated: May-27-16 10:52 am
INDIANAPOLIS - In the lead-up to the 100th running of the "The Greatest Spectacle in Racing," The Associated Press interviewed the 27 living race winners on topics ranging from the greatest driver to most memorable moment.
- Meet the man Indy 500 champions say saved the race Updated: May-26-16 9:54 am
INDIANAPOLIS - It was 1945 and the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway was in disrepair. Already in desperate need of improvements, a third of Gasoline Alley had burned four years earlier. Then came World War II and a four-year hiatus for the Indianapolis 500.
- Indy 500 champions choose the greatest rivalries of the race Updated: May-25-16 4:21 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Mario Andretti silently stewed as Bobby Unser celebrated winning the 1981 Indianapolis 500.
- Indianapolis 500 ticket prices soaring on secondary market Updated: May-25-16 4:07 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - The 100th running of the Indianapolis 500 is the hottest ticket in town, now that race organizers have announced all seats, suites and the infield have been sold out for Sunday's race.
- Indy 500 champions call safety measures greatest innovation Updated: May-24-16 2:20 am
INDIANAPOLIS - Imagine climbing into your sedan in the driveway and not putting on a seatbelt, then trying to back out onto a busy street without the benefit of a rear-view mirror.
- Indy 500 champions choose their most memorable moments Updated: May-23-16 1:56 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Long before he won the Indianapolis 500, Al Unser was an up-and-coming 25-year-old sprint car driver who had showed up at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to watch his older brother try to qualify.
- Highlights from the 96th running of the Indianapolis 500 Updated: May-22-16 10:01 am
RACE: 96th Indianapolis 500
- The AP's Indianapolis 500 All-Star starting lineup Updated: May-18-16 2:11 am
INDIANAPOLIS - As the Indianapolis 500 celebrates its centennial race May 29, The Associated Press has come up with a completely subjective all-star, 33-driver starting field. The list includes multiple winners, innovators, fan favorites and trend-setters. They may not be the best drivers in race history, but all of them have helped shaped the event. The field is listed in the traditional three-car, 11-row starting grid with a synopsis of each row.
- Montoya undeterred by spoils of defending Indy 500 champ Updated: May-15-16 1:10 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Juan Pablo Montoya spent his first week in Indianapolis surrounded by autograph seekers in Gasoline Alley.