- Down a man after Orpik hit, Pens top Caps 2-1; series 1-all Updated: May-01-16 12:36 am
WASHINGTON - Already down a game in their second-round playoff series, Kris Letang and the Pittsburgh Penguins suddenly were down a man, too, on Saturday night, when Olli Maatta was leveled by a high hit from Washington's Brooks Orpik less than 5 minutes in.
- At ease in Pittsburgh, Kessel making impact for Penguins Updated: Apr-25-16 4:42 pm
PITTSBURGH - Phil Kessel speaks in a polite whisper, as if he's worried talking too loudly might inadvertently attract the spotlight and well, he doesn't want that.
- New faces making instant impact during Penguins' surge Updated: Apr-24-16 3:49 pm
PITTSBURGH - Sidney Crosby danced through the neutral zone, slipped across the New York Rangers' blue line and waited for help. It arrived in the form of a blurring No. 43 black-and-gold jersey, the one worn by a player whose speed and relentlessness propelled him from prospect to unlikely catalyst for a Stanley Cup contender in all of five months.
- Penguins close out Rangers 5 games with 6-3 rout Updated: Apr-23-16 7:56 pm
PITTSBURGH - The end of two springs' worth of playoff angst for the Pittsburgh Penguins came suddenly, crammed into 14 minutes of pure exhilaration, one highlight-reel sequence piled atop another.
- Rangers trying to overcome 3-1 deficit yet again Updated: Apr-22-16 5:40 pm
GREENBURGH, New York - Trailing 3-1 in a series is nothing new for the New York Rangers.
- Malkin stars as Penguins push Rangers to playoff brink Updated: Apr-21-16 11:01 pm
NEW YORK - The Pittsburgh Penguins might have been the NHL's hottest team at the end of the regular season, playing the last month with Evgeni Malkin out of the lineup with an arm injury.
- High-profile injuries around NHL muddle playoff landscape Updated: Apr-12-16 5:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The defending Eastern Conference Tampa Bay Lightning are a lot more uneasy going into the playoffs than they were a year ago. Not having Steven Stamkos and Anton Stralman can do that.
- Youth-laden Buffalo Sabres finally showing signs of progress Updated: Apr-11-16 6:39 pm
BUFFALO, New York - Sabres general manager Tim Murray acknowledged it was unrealistic to expect Buffalo to transform into an overnight contender based on the wholesale changes that took place last offseason.
- Surging Penguins complete turnaround in time for playoffs Updated: Apr-11-16 5:55 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Cullen can't quite find the right words to describe it. Maybe because the seemingly ageless Pittsburgh Penguins center has never experienced a season quite like this in a career that spans eight cities and nearly two decades.
- Flyers beat Penguins 3-1, clinch playoff spot Updated: Apr-09-16 7:25 pm
PHILADELPHIA - With their ailing owner watching from home, the Philadelphia Flyers clinched a playoff berth.
- Penguins rolling without Malkin as Cullen steps it up Updated: Apr-08-16 4:02 pm
WASHINGTON - Do the Pittsburgh Penguins need Evgeni Malkin if they have Matt Cullen?