- Rauner: Illinois to review new federal power plant limits Updated: Aug-03-15 1:22 pm
ST. LOUIS - Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner is reviewing a federal plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions from U.S. power plants to determine whether the state should comply or challenge the new rules.
- House GOP says it has the votes to disapprove of Iran deal Updated: Aug-03-15 1:22 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans said Monday that they have the GOP votes to disapprove of the Iran nuclear deal as Democrats stepped up their support of the agreement the Obama administration and other world powers negotiated with Tehran.
- Gulf Arabs welcome Iran nuke deal but seek further assurance Updated: Aug-03-15 11:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - Gulf Arab states on Monday welcomed the nuclear deal negotiated between Iran and world powers but said they would like further assurances that the U.S. would help them counter increasing Iranian assertiveness in the region.
- Who wins and loses under Obama's stricter power plant limits Updated: Aug-03-15 9:23 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is mandating even steeper greenhouse gas cuts from U.S. power plants than previously expected, while granting states more time and broader options to comply.
- Analysis: US-Turkey deal on Syria a big gamble Updated: Aug-03-15 9:06 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan are both taking a big gamble as they agree to work together against the Islamic State group militants in Syria.
- Pelosi praises papal climate encyclical during Italy visit Updated: Aug-03-15 8:49 am
MILAN - Leading U.S. Democrat Nancy Pelosi on Monday called the pope's climate encyclical "an important new effective asset" in pushing forward policy to slow global warming by bringing aboard a new audience.
- Proof of Trump's charity giving elusive Updated: Aug-03-15 1:32 am
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump, widely believed to be the wealthiest American ever to run for president, is nowhere among the ranks of the country's most generous citizens, according to an Associated Press review of his financial records and other government filings.
- 5 things about Congress' fight over Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-02-15 8:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans will likely lose Monday's Senate showdown over halting federal aid to Planned Parenthood. Yet the political offensive by abortion foes has just started, prompted by a batch of unsettling videos that has focused attention on the group's little-noticed practice of providing fetal tissue to researchers.
- Lucky breaks with federal funds, pensions help Kansas budget Updated: Aug-02-15 1:53 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback's latest efforts to prevent a state budget deficit were assisted by a well-timed decision on health care funding from federal officials and better-than-expected news about teacher pensions.
- Biden for president? Allies mulling Clinton challenge Updated: Aug-02-15 7:41 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden's associates have resumed discussions about a 2016 presidential run after largely shelving such deliberations while his son was sick and dying earlier this year. But Biden has yet to tell his staff whether he will run or personally ask them to do any planning for a potential campaign, according to several people close to the vice president.
- Obama to speak at clean energy summit in Las Vegas Updated: Aug-01-15 11:13 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama will be the keynote speaker at a Las Vegas summit on clean energy later this month.
- Thomas longs for reunion with his mother Updated: Aug-01-15 8:18 pm
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - Demaryius Thomas is still waiting to see his mother out from behind bars for the first time since the police came busting into his house one morning when he was 11.
- Moulton says he'll support Iran deal as 'best viable option' Updated: Aug-01-15 4:22 pm
SALEM, Massachusetts - U.S. Rep. Seth Moulton is among a handful of Congressional Democrats announcing their support for a nuclear deal with Iran since meeting with President Barack Obama this past week.
- Telemundo interviews Bush on wide range of topics Updated: Aug-01-15 2:47 pm
MIAMI - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush says he's not worried about running against Donald Trump for the nomination or the fact that the billionaire businessman is in first place in several national polls.
- Florida power company gave $1 million to pro-Bush super PAC Updated: Aug-01-15 2:23 pm
WASHINGTON - The largest Florida corporate donor to a super political action committee backing former Gov. Jeb Bush's presidential run is NextEra Energy Inc., the company that owns electric utility giant Florida Power & Light.
- Feds: Action taken to fix mistakenly awarded work permits Updated: Aug-01-15 1:28 pm
HOUSTON - Problems have been fixed that led to about 2,100 work permits being mistakenly awarded under President Barack Obama's executive immigration action after a federal judge in Texas had put the plan on hold, the Justice Department said in newly filed court documents.
- 2 Republicans, 3 Dems seek nominations for Miss. governor Updated: Aug-01-15 12:13 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant appears confident of winning his party's nomination for re-election Tuesday.
- Top Russian, US and Saudi diplomats to meet in Qatar Updated: Aug-01-15 7:29 am
MOSCOW - Russia's foreign minister has scheduled a trilateral meeting in Qatar with his U.S. and Saudi counterparts.
- Pacific trade ministers fail to reach deal in Hawaii talks Updated: Aug-01-15 1:10 am
LAHAINA, Hawaii - Trade ministers from a dozen Pacific Rim nations failed to reach a deal on a new trade agreement that would cover nearly 40 percent of the global economy, U.S. Trade Representative Michael Froman said Friday.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.
- US envoy to UN visits Cuba's UN Mission, a first in decades Updated: Jul-31-15 8:59 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Samantha Power made the first visit by an American ambassador to the United Nations to Cuba's U.N. Mission in over a half-century on Friday.
- Manning and Thomas back together after 201-day separation Updated: Jul-31-15 5:54 pm
ENGLEWOOD, Colorado - Demaryius Thomas and Peyton Manning are a long ways from being on the same page. At least they're back on the same field.
- Taking on Bush and Rubio, Clinton calls for Cuba embargo end Updated: Jul-31-15 4:16 pm
MIAMI - Drawing a sharp distinction with Republican rivals in the pivotal election state of Florida, Hillary Rodham Clinton on Friday called on the GOP-run Congress to end the trade embargo the U.S. has imposed on Cuba since 1962
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- Obama to extend college aid grants to some prison inmates Updated: Jul-31-15 2:20 pm
WASHINGTON - More than 20 years after banning prisoners from receiving student aid, some federal and state inmates could be eligible for Pell grant money to take college courses while still behind bars.