- Congress' grade so far? Incomplete at best Updated: May-27-16 4:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is racing toward its summer break, but like a procrastinating college kid it has tons of work to catch up on to avoid a report card laden with grades of incomplete or even worse.
- Kentucky governor says he will join transgender lawsuit Updated: May-27-16 4:34 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Kentucky's Republican governor says he will join a lawsuit challenging a federal directive that public schools allow transgender students to use the bathroom or locker room of their choice.
- McCrory writes congressional leaders to act on LGBT conflict Updated: May-27-16 3:58 pm
RALEIGH, North Carolina - North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory wants Congress to clarify U.S. Civil Rights Act protections after President Barack Obama's administration challenged bathroom provisions in the state's new law known as House Bill 2.
- Spoleto Festival USA begins 40th season in South Carolina Updated: May-27-16 3:18 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The 40th season of the Spoleto Festival USA opened Friday amid tributes to the men who established the internationally known art festival and remembrances of the nine people fatally shot in a city church last year during a Bible study.
- Box Elder refuses to comply with transgender bathroom order Updated: May-27-16 3:13 pm
BRIGHAM CITY, Utah - A northern Utah school district is refusing to comply with the Obama administration's directive to let transgender students use bathrooms that match their gender identity.
- US orders troops in Syria to remove Kurdish insignia Updated: May-27-16 3:10 pm
WASHINGTON - American special operations troops were not authorized to wear the patches of Kurdish forces while advising them in Syria and have been told to remove them, the U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad said Friday, after Turkish leaders protested.
- Donald Trump breaks with nation's only Latina governor Updated: May-27-16 3:03 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - It was a stunning rebuke - even by Donald Trump's standards - aimed at the nation's only Latina governor at a political rally in her home state of New Mexico.
- Obama uses Hiroshima visit as opportunity to urge no nukes Updated: May-27-16 3:00 pm
HIROSHIMA, Japan - With an unflinching look back at a painful history, President Barack Obama stood on the hallowed ground of Hiroshima on Friday and declared it a fitting place to summon people everywhere to embrace the vision of a world without nuclear weapons.
- Alibaba won and lost a friend in Washington; how it happened Updated: May-27-16 2:41 pm
SHANGHAI - In 2011, a respected anti-counterfeiting coalition in Washington escalated its fight against the Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, saying its websites served as a 24-hour market "for counterfeiters and pirates" and should be blacklisted.
- Turkey upset over images of US soldiers with Kurdish symbols Updated: May-27-16 11:30 am
ANKARA, Turkey - Turkey on Friday lashed out at the United States after images surfaced apparently showing U.S. soldiers in Syria wearing the insignia of a Kurdish group opposed by Ankara.
- Will Trump continue to dominate media in 1-on-1 match? Updated: May-27-16 11:21 am
NEW YORK - During the height of the primary season, a sense of Donald Trump overload in the media united a divided electorate.
- Obama's hug of Hiroshima survivor epitomizes historic visit Updated: May-27-16 8:17 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - President Barack Obama may have faced the legacy of Hiroshima most directly with his embrace of a man who survived the devastating atomic blast.
- Dump Trump? Some millennials aren't so sure Updated: May-27-16 8:06 am
COSTA MESA, California - Brendan De Regla drove three hours and waited in line for half a day to see Donald Trump speak at a rally in Southern California.
- Abe claims success as G-7 leaders back action on economies Updated: May-27-16 6:02 am
SHIMA, Japan - Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe claimed success Friday in winning support for his approach to fighting off a possible economic crisis from fellow leaders of the Group of Seven wealthy nations, despite mounting evidence the formula is failing to yield promised results in Japan.
- The Latest: Obama greets atomic bomb survivors in Hiroshima Updated: May-27-16 5:23 am
HIROSHIMA, Japan - The Latest on U.S. President Barack Obama's visit to Hiroshima, Japan (all times local):
- The Latest: G-7 wants to close gaps on fighting extremism Updated: May-27-16 1:03 am
ISE, Japan - The latest news on the Group of Seven summit in Japan, where the leaders of the seven advanced economies are meeting for two days (all times local):
- Australian party leader says some Trump views 'barking mad' Updated: May-27-16 12:20 am
CANBERRA, Australia - Australia's opposition leader on Friday described some of the presumptive Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's views as "barking mad," breaking a longstanding Australian convention of avoiding taking sides in U.S. political contests.
- Iowa Democrats criticize Grassley during televised debate Updated: May-26-16 10:35 pm
JOHNSTON, Iowa - Democrats in Iowa vying to challenge Republican Sen. Charles Grassley in his upcoming re-election race used a televised debate Thursday to reiterate their criticism of the longtime senator's leading role in a U.S. Supreme Court nomination fight.
- Obama's every gesture will be scrutinized in Hiroshima visit Updated: May-26-16 9:22 pm
HIROSHIMA, Japan - Every gesture. Every word uttered or avoided. Every person Barack Obama speaks with, listens to and stands beside in Hiroshima. All of it will help determine the success of a trip with huge potential political and diplomatic pitfalls, both in America and Asia.
- Trump has rally in Billings after securing nomination Updated: May-26-16 8:43 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - A crowd of thousands, buoyed by word that Donald Trump had just locked down the Republican presidential nomination, gathered in a Billings arena Thursday to cheer the New York businessman and his unlikely ascent to the top of his party.
- The Latest: Trump holds rally before cheering Montana crowd Updated: May-26-16 7:44 pm
BILLINGS, Montana - The Latest on Donald Trump's rally in Billings (all times local):
- New US ambassador to Mexico arrives to take up post Updated: May-26-16 7:26 pm
MEXICO CITY - Roberta Jacobson arrived to assume her new role as the United States ambassador to Mexico on Thursday, coming at a time when immigration and Mexican trade have been heated themes in the U.S. presidential campaign.
- Obama: Allies 'rattled' by Trump; Trump blasts Obama Updated: May-26-16 6:16 pm
SHIMA, Japan - President Barack Obama said Thursday that foreign leaders are "rattled" by Donald Trump and have good reason to feel that way, as he accused the presumptive Republican presidential nominee of ignorance about world affairs.
- Ginsburg: Having only 8 justices hamstrings Supreme Court Updated: May-26-16 6:06 pm
SARATOGA SPRINGS, New York - Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg said Thursday that having only eight high court justices isn't good, resulting in some 4-4 splits this year that denied litigants an opinion.
- Correction: Commencement Speaker Costs story Updated: May-26-16 4:53 pm
BOSTON - In a story May 20 on fees paid by colleges to commencement speakers, The Associated Press, relying on information from Rutgers University, reported erroneously that it had paid PBS journalist Bill Moyer $35,000 for an address. The university now says that Moyers had informed a school official before the ceremony that he would not accept the fee.