- Rubio's presidential bid boosted by secret-money commercials Updated: Oct-08-15 12:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Voters are beginning to learn about Republican presidential hopeful Marco Rubio.
- Rubio criticizes government regulation of on-demand economy Updated: Oct-06-15 6:35 pm
NEW YORK - Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio vowed Tuesday to cap the number of regulations government can impose on businesses, particularly "on-demand" startups like Uber and Airbnb that he considers models for a changing national economy.
- Nevada lawmaker Jim Wheeler backs Cruz after Walker dropout Updated: Oct-06-15 12:40 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz is picking up an endorsement from a former member of Scott Walker's Nevada campaign team.
- Leaders who follow: What candidates' Twitter lists reveal Updated: Oct-05-15 2:34 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Jeb Bush follows Donald Trump on Twitter but that's a one-way street: Trump mainly follows people with a connection to himself. Ted Cruz's follow list is a big tea party, though he keeps an eye on President Barack Obama, too.
- Familiar, divisive social issues on Supreme Court agenda Updated: Oct-05-15 2:04 pm
WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court's new term began Monday with no cross words between the justices, although a steady stream of divisive social issues awaits them in the coming months.
- Cruz, Santorum, Fiorina in New Hampshire for GOP forum Updated: Oct-03-15 8:17 am
HOOKSETT, New Hampshire - Republican White House hopefuls Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum and Carly Fiorina are appearing at a New Hampshire forum on limiting the powers of the federal government.
- Bush donors embrace new mantra: He's built to last Updated: Oct-02-15 4:17 pm
WASHINGTON - Jeb Bush's challenge in the first half of the year was daunting yet simple. To be considered a fundraising success, the Republican presidential candidate had to hit the magic number of $100 million, an ambitious goal set by some in his campaign. And he did.
- Trump not coming to Hispanic Chamber of Commerce event Updated: Oct-02-15 3:51 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Donald Trump won't be doing a question-and-answer session with the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce in Washington next week.
- Rand Paul announces 2 endorsements from Nevada Assembly Updated: Oct-01-15 8:30 pm
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Republican presidential hopeful Rand Paul is lining up support among freshman lawmakers in the Nevada Assembly.
- Field for SC's Republican presidential primary set at 15 Updated: Sep-30-15 6:32 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina Republican Party officials say 15 candidates have paid the $40,000 fee to be on the state GOP presidential primary ballot next year.
- Cruz announces endorsements of 41 Texas state lawmakers Updated: Sep-30-15 1:14 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - Home-state presidential hopeful and U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz says he's secured endorsements from 36 Republican Texas state representatives and five state senators.
- New Hampshire's Ayotte plays foil to Ted Cruz Updated: Sep-30-15 11:14 am
WASHINGTON - New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is boldly taking on a role most of her fellow Republicans have been unwilling to bear: public foil to Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz.
- Senate majority leader seems safe for now after Boehner exit Updated: Sep-29-15 1:41 pm
WASHINGTON - Try as they may, there's no sign that conservatives chirping over the departure of House Speaker John Boehner will be able to claim Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell as their next pelt.
- GOP presidential contender Cruz to campaign in Kalamazoo Updated: Sep-28-15 6:10 pm
KALAMAZOO, Michigan - Republican presidential contender Ted Cruz will campaign in Michigan next week.
- Former President Bush campaigning for brother in Arkansas Updated: Sep-28-15 12:25 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Former President George W. Bush is campaigning in northwest Arkansas to help his brother Jeb's White House bid.
- GOP religious conservatives channeling anger toward victory Updated: Sep-27-15 5:11 am
WASHINGTON - Religious activists in the Republican Party, bolstered by House Speaker John Boehner's sudden exit, say the next GOP presidential nominee must share their uncompromising stance on abortion rights, gay marriage and other priorities to get to the White House.
- Boehner's resignation prompts cheers among GOP's right wing Updated: Sep-26-15 2:49 am
WASHINGTON - The news of House Speaker John Boehner's resignation brought hundreds of religious conservatives to their feet to cheer - and one after another, much of the Republican Party's presidential class joined in their rejoicing.
- 'I believe in the Bible': Trump courts Christian right Updated: Sep-25-15 8:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump recently showed up at a gathering of Iowa conservative Christian voters with a copy of the Bible in hand.
- Cruz pushes Senate on renaming street for Chinese dissident Updated: Sep-24-15 7:00 pm
WASHINGTON - Shortly before Chinese President Xi Jinping's arrival in the United States Thursday, Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz tried to get the Senate to back renaming a Washington street after a Chinese dissident.
- AP FACT CHECK: No clear evidence that Clinton aided birthers Updated: Sep-23-15 7:39 pm
WASHINGTON - When GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump doubled down Wednesday on his previous claim that rival Democratic candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton played a key role in sparking "birther" critics who insist President Barack Obama is not a native-born American, his charge was based on little more than a vague Clinton comment from 2008 and old political rumors.
- Senate blocks anti-abortion bill; new showdown set Updated: Sep-22-15 5:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats thwarted a Republican effort to ban late-term abortions on Tuesday as GOP leaders strained to avoid a government shutdown in eight days over the dispute - all against a tangled backdrop of presidential politics.
- GOP candidates scramble to win over Scott Walker supporters Updated: Sep-22-15 3:41 am
WASHINGTON - Even before Scott Walker dropped out of the race for president, his Republican rivals for the White House were chasing after the remnants of his once high-flying campaign.
- As Georgia race heats up, Rubio gets congressman's support Updated: Sep-21-15 12:25 pm
ATLANTA - As the Republican presidential scramble heats up ahead of Georgia's March 1 primary, the state's elected leaders are starting to take sides, with Marco Rubio picking up support Monday from a conservative congressman from south Georgia.
- GOP leaders face tough test in Congress to keep gov't open Updated: Sep-21-15 4:55 am
WASHINGTON - Congress' Republican leaders face stark tests as they fight to keep the government open past month's end, amid fears a shutdown could imperil their party's White House ambitions.
- Gay marriage fight shifts as politicians spy an opportunity Updated: Sep-20-15 10:55 am
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Politicians who may have thought they wouldn't have to say much at all about gay marriage once the U.S. Supreme Court effectively legalized it now must answer a different question: Do you support Kim Davis?