- Top Republican doubts Senate will confirm ambassador to Cuba Updated: Jul-02-15 4:32 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday that his chamber is unlikely to approve an American ambassador to Cuba, dishing out a quick rebuff to President Barack Obama and his drive to normalize relations with the U.S. neighbor and longtime Cold War foe.
- Arizona copper mine stirs debate pitting profits vs religion Updated: Jul-02-15 5:50 am
SUPERIOR, Arizona - Outside of an aging mining town in the mountains east of Phoenix, a copper company has burrowed a shaft 1.3 miles into the high desert landscape in what is believed to be the deepest such mine in the U.S.
- Arts panel gives final OK to Eisenhower memorial design Updated: Jun-18-15 4:52 pm
WASHINGTON - A key arts panel has given final approval to a design for a memorial to honor President Dwight D. Eisenhower in Washington, another step toward groundbreaking.
- Time capsule returns to Massachusetts Statehouse cornerstone Updated: Jun-17-15 2:24 pm
BOSTON - In an elaborate ceremony steeped in tradition, a time capsule dating to 1795 was returned Wednesday to the cornerstone of the Massachusetts Statehouse, with a set of 2015 U.S. mint coins and a silver plaque added to its contents for a future generation to discover.
- Owner of landmark Iowa soda fountain dies at 95 Updated: Jun-15-15 3:49 pm
WILTON, Iowa - For most of his life, George Nopoulos delighted customers at his family's soda fountain, helping turn the small-town gathering spot into an Iowa landmark visited by celebrities and politicians.
- Hand-sewn quilt reflects history of Lecompton Updated: Jun-14-15 4:35 pm
LECOMPTON, Kansas - A large quilt that tells the story of the former Kansas territorial capital of Lecompton is hanging at a museum in the northeast Kansas town.
- Man admits plotting suicide bomb attack at Kansas airport Updated: Jun-08-15 5:03 pm
WICHITA, Kansas - A former avionics technician who authorities said wanted to cause "maximum carnage" during the holiday season admitted Monday to plotting a suicide bomb attack at a Wichita airport.