- US expects to pay farmers $191 million for birds lost to flu Updated: Jul-28-15 4:10 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - The U.S. government expects to spend $191 million to pay chicken and turkey farmers for birds lost to avian flu, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said Tuesday as he called for Congress to consider a disaster program for poultry producers similar to that for other livestock farmers.
- Finding money for highways is becoming a bipartisan project Updated: Jul-24-15 6:17 pm
WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, West Virginia - As Congress considers a long-awaited transportation funding bill, some Republican governors as well as Democrats say they aren't waiting to raise or borrow money to fix or build roads, bridges and highways.
- Branstad requests presidential disaster declaration Updated: Jul-22-15 5:09 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad is asking President Barack Obama to issue a presidential disaster declaration for 19 Iowa counties to aid recovery from damaging storms in June.
- Branstad orders flags lowered to honor shooting victims Updated: Jul-21-15 3:20 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Iowa's governor has ordered that flags be lowered to half-staff at sites throughout the state in honor of the five servicemen killed last week in Tennessee.
- Federal disaster declaration denied for bird flu Updated: Jul-08-15 3:29 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Governor Terry Branstad's request for a federal disaster declaration to respond to the bird flu outbreak has been denied.
- Branstad: Parts of spending bill for K-12 wasn't enforceable Updated: Jul-07-15 6:51 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Gov. Terry Branstad said Tuesday that he vetoed part of a budget bill because there was no way to ensure schools wouldn't use allotted one-time funding to cover teacher salaries and other ongoing expenses.