- Survey shows enough votes to remove Confederate flag in SC Updated: Jun-29-15 8:07 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A survey of South Carolina legislators shows there is enough support to remove the Confederate flag from Statehouse grounds if all supporters cast a vote.
- Mourners recall SC shooting victim in funeral at church Updated: Jun-29-15 4:15 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - The day she was killed along with eight others during Bible study at a South Carolina church, Myra Thompson achieved her goal of becoming a minister
- Time will tell if furling the rebel flag means deeper change Updated: Jun-28-15 11:13 am
BIRMINGHAM, Alabama - Across the South, Confederate symbols are toppling, teetering or at least getting critical new looks. But is it a sign of real change in a region known for fiercely defending its complex traditions, or simply the work of frightened politicians and nervous corporate bean counters scrambling for cover in the wake of another white-on-black atrocity?
- NASCAR chairman wants Confederate flag eliminated at races Updated: Jun-27-15 3:54 pm
SONOMA, California - Calling the Confederate flag an "insensitive symbol" he personally finds offensive, NASCAR chairman Brian France said the sport will be aggressive in disassociating the symbol from its events.
- NASCAR's Dale Earnhardt Jr. backs ban on Confederate flag Updated: Jun-26-15 6:27 pm
SONOMA, California - Dale Earnhardt Jr., NASCAR's most popular driver, called the Confederate flag "offensive to an entire race" Friday while voicing his support for it being removed from the grounds of the South Carolina Statehouse.
- The Latest: Obama in Charleston for shooting victim funeral Updated: Jun-26-15 4:24 pm
The latest in the Charleston church shooting. (All times local.)
- Excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Jun-26-15 1:02 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, June 22
- Confederate heritage group loses its Southern influence Updated: Jun-25-15 7:28 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The Sons of Confederate Veterans knew an attack on their cherished symbols would come after seeing photos of the white man accused of killing nine black churchgoers displaying Confederate battle flags. They just didn't expect it from their right flank.
- High court ruling means more than 154K in SC keep subsidies Updated: Jun-25-15 4:23 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The U.S. Supreme Court's ruling Thursday on the federal health overhaul means more than 154,000 South Carolinians can continue to receive federal subsidies that help pay for their health insurance premiums.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jun-25-15 10:53 am
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers:
- Confederate symbols prompt Boise to remove Mississippi flag Updated: Jun-24-15 5:38 pm
BOISE, Idaho - Mississippi's flag, and the Confederate symbols embedded within it, has come down outside Boise's City Hall.
- Walker: Haley asked that he not talk about Confederate flag Updated: Jun-24-15 5:29 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Wednesday he didn't initially offer his opinion on whether the Confederate flag should be taken down from the Capitol grounds in South Carolina because Gov. Nikki Haley asked him to hold off speaking about it.
- Confederate, Jim Crow tributes go well beyond battle flag Updated: Jun-24-15 11:13 am
ATLANTA - South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley called for removing the Confederate battle flag that flies in front of her state's Capitol. But she hasn't said the Confederate veterans' monument alongside the flag should go.
- Wisconsin company says it will stop making Confederate flags Updated: Jun-24-15 3:22 am
OAK CREEK, Wisconsin - A flag maker in the Milwaukee area says it will stop making and selling the Confederate flag, saying the decision was motivated by last week's shooting at a historic black church in Charleston, South Carolina.
- AP EXPLAINS: Confederate battle flag, flown around US South Updated: Jun-23-15 8:59 pm
South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley, after the massacre of nine African-Americans at a historic black church in Charleston, has called for the removal of the rebel Confederate battle flag that stands outside South Carolina's Statehouse. Days earlier authorities charged Dylann Storm Roof, 21, who is white, with murder and described the shootings as a hate crime. Roof appears in widely-seen photos holding Confederate flags, and investigators have learned that he told a friend that blacks were taking over the world and said something needed to be done for the white race. Here's a brief explanation of the Confederate battle flag, a historic but deeply divisive symbol that remains ever-present in the American South.
- Lawmaker wants Confederate flag removed from Capitol grounds Updated: Jun-23-15 8:13 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - A Montgomery lawmaker on Tuesday said Alabama should remove Confederate flags that fly outside the Alabama Capitol next to a towering monument to Confederate soldiers.
- Big retailers feel pressure on Confederate flag merchandise Updated: Jun-23-15 7:55 pm
Even as national retailers pull Confederate flags from shelves and websites after the shooting deaths of nine black church members in South Carolina, manufacturers that produce the divisive symbol say that sales are now surging.
- NASCAR distances itself from Confederate flag after massacre Updated: Jun-23-15 7:06 pm
Confederate flags are as easy to find at NASCAR races as cutoff jeans, cowboy hats and beer.
- A look at calls to remove Confederate symbols across South Updated: Jun-23-15 6:25 pm
Following a massacre at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, a bipartisan mix of officials across the country is calling for the removal of Confederate flags and other symbols of the Confederacy.
- History of the Confederate flag on Statehouse grounds Updated: Jun-23-15 3:28 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - The shooting deaths of nine people at a black church in Charleston, South Carolina, have reignited calls for the Confederate flag flying on the grounds of the Statehouse in Columbia to come down.
- Wal-Mart removing Confederate flag items from stores, online Updated: Jun-22-15 9:38 pm
BENTONVILLE, Arkansas - Wal-Mart said Monday it is removing any items from its store shelves and website that feature the Confederate flag.
- Governors' trade missions have uneven record of success Updated: Jun-22-15 5:08 pm
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - Governors across the country have been packing their bags for all-expenses-paid trade missions abroad, spending taxpayer dollars on costly trips that have an uneven track record of yielding any tangible benefits for their states.
- Walker supports taking Confederate flag down Updated: Jun-22-15 5:00 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker says he supports South Carolina's governor's call to remove the Confederate flag from the grounds of that state's capitol.
- Call for death penalty in shooting, but state lacks the drug Updated: Jun-21-15 2:53 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Two days after the shooting deaths of nine people during a Bible study at a Charleston church, Republican Gov. Nikki Haley made a bold public statement: The gunman "absolutely" should be put to death. But her state, though largely pro-death penalty, can't secure one of the drugs needed for lethal injections and hasn't executed an inmate since 2011.
- Timeline of the shooting at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston Updated: Jun-19-15 6:58 pm
CHARLESTON, South Carolina - Here is a timeline of the shooting at the historic Emanuel AME Church in downtown Charleston, South Carolina: