- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- China issues book commemorating reformist leader Hu Yaobang Updated: Nov-20-15 6:34 am
BEIJING - President Xi Jinping and other top Chinese leaders gathered Friday to commemorate reformist leader Hu Yaobang, whose death catalyzed the 1989 pro-democracy protest movement that was brutally crushed on Beijing's Tiananmen Square.
- A China-Taiwan handshake, 66 years in the making Updated: Nov-07-15 11:54 am
It was just a handshake. Just two prosperous-looking men in dark suits walking across a hotel meeting room to say hello.
- Singapore is natural choice for China-Taiwan talks Updated: Nov-07-15 4:57 am
SINGAPORE - If the historic summit this weekend between the leaders of China and Taiwan is laden with symbolism, so is the location, the city-state of Singapore.
- The Latest: China, Taiwan leaders end historic meeting Updated: Nov-07-15 4:50 am
SINGAPORE - The latest on the historic meeting between the presidents of China and Taiwan in Singapore. All times Singapore.
- Historic China-Taiwan meeting about symbolism, not substance Updated: Nov-06-15 6:44 am
BEIJING - Saturday's first-ever meeting between the presidents of China and Taiwan presents a formidable challenge: How can they ensure the event's place in history when nothing of substance should happen?
- Taiwan defined by conflicted identity, diplomatic isolation Updated: Nov-04-15 4:26 am
BEIJING - It has no membership in the United Nations. In the Olympics, it competes as "Chinese Taipei." Most nations don't recognize it as a country.
- Cartoonists a casualty of China's intolerance of dissent Updated: Nov-01-15 2:20 am
BEIJING - Bai Budan took a morning stroll on Tiananmen Square to find inspiration for a new series of satirical cartoons, an art form only barely alive in China.