- Obama to preach 'better politics' at testy Illinois Capitol Updated: Feb-10-16 9:25 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Illinois state Capitol where President Barack Obama returns Wednesday with a plea for "better politics" is awash in an acidic partisan feud. Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner, Democratic legislative leaders led by longtime Speaker Michael Madigan and even Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel have engaged in sometimes uncomfortably personal attacks over the state budget mess, Chicago schools, the governor's appointments and more, taking finger-pointing to a new level.
- School funding overhaul again faces long odds in Springfield Updated: Feb-07-16 10:10 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Lawmakers of all stripes have pledged support in recent weeks for overhauling the state's outdated school funding formula, a nearly 30 year old system that nearly everyone agrees penalizes students in poorer districts.
- Illinois school funding will be topic for legislative panel Updated: Feb-04-16 11:50 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Democratic House Speaker Michael Madigan is forming a legislative panel to discuss changes to how Illinois funds its schools.
- Illinois governor creates privately funded economic agency Updated: Feb-03-16 6:07 pm
CHICAGO - Gov. Bruce Rauner used his executive powers Wednesday to establish a privately run and funded economic development corporation that'll take over a state agency's role in luring new business to Illinois, despite concerns from top Democrats about transparency.
- Democrats will wait to send Rauner college funding bill Updated: Feb-02-16 4:10 am
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Illinois Democratic Senate President John Cullerton says he's delaying sending a funding bill for colleges to Gov. Bruce Rauner in the hopes he'll reconsider his threat to veto it.
- Pension bill on hold despite Rauner, Cullerton agreement Updated: Feb-01-16 4:09 pm
CHICAGO - Democrats are unlikely to address Illinois' worst-in-the-nation pension crisis until the state has a budget, despite a rare agreement between Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner and Senate President John Cullerton and calls from the governor to send him a bill "right away."
- With no budget, Rauner repeats calls for pro-business reform Updated: Jan-27-16 4:30 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - Republican Gov. Bruce Rauner used his State of the State address Wednesday to make another case for changes he says would make Illinois more competitive, even as he acknowledged that huge opposition from Democrats has prompted a record budget stalemate and crippled social services and other programs.
- The Latest: Madigan says he's open to new pension deal Updated: Jan-27-16 4:28 pm
SPRINGFIELD, Illinois - The Latest on Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner's State of the State address on Wednesday (all times local):
- Excerpts from recent editorials by newspapers in Illinois Updated: Jan-25-16 6:53 pm
January 25, 2016
- Illinois Senate president wants school funding formula fix Updated: Jan-25-16 3:53 pm
CHICAGO - A top Democrat says inequity in Illinois' school funding formula is the "defining crisis of our time" and an overhaul is a top priority.