- Israel defense minister says Russian plane breached airspace Updated: Nov-29-15 12:40 pm
JERUSALEM - A Russian jet recently penetrated Israeli airspace but was not shot down thanks to an open communication system between the two countries, Israel's defense minister said Sunday as tensions continued to flare between Ankara and Moscow after Turkish troops downed a Russian warplane.
- Turkey says pilot's body to be flown back to Russia Updated: Nov-29-15 5:01 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The Turkish prime minister says Turkey has taken delivery of the body of a Russian pilot who was killed after Turkish F-16s shot down a Russian warplane.
- Russia suspends visa-free travel with Turkey Updated: Nov-27-15 3:05 pm
MOSCOW - Russia announced Friday that it will suspend visa-free travel with Turkey amid the escalating spat over the downing of a Russian warplane by a Turkish fighter jet at the Syrian border.
- Strikes on IS city, focus of international campaign, kill 8 Updated: Nov-27-15 11:30 am
BEIRUT - A new wave of airstrikes targeting the Syrian city of Raqqa, the headquarters of the extremist Islamic State group and the focus of an international military campaign, killed at least eight people, including five children, Syrian opposition groups said Friday.
- The Latest: Russia supports closing of Turkish=Syria border Updated: Nov-27-15 10:20 am
ANKARA, Turkey - The latest developments regarding the war in Syria. All times local.
- After Paris attacks, increased resolve for UN climate talks Updated: Nov-27-15 3:37 am
PARIS - Still gripped by shock and grief, Paris will play host to a long-awaited U.N. climate conference under tragic circumstances that none could have foreseen.
- Russia, France agree to tighten cooperation against IS Updated: Nov-27-15 12:58 am
MOSCOW - The presidents of France and Russia agreed Thursday to tighten cooperation in the fight against the Islamic State group, although they remained at odds over their approach toward Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Russia strikes back at Turkey with economic sanctions Updated: Nov-26-15 11:59 am
MOSCOW - Russia plans to retaliate against Turkey for the downing of a warplane by imposing sanctions, cutting economic ties and scrapping major investment projects.
- Russian crackdown on Muslims fuels exodus to Islamic State Updated: Nov-25-15 6:15 am
KOMSOMOLSKOYE, Russia - Rashid Magomedov had had enough, his father said. The devout Muslim was detained several times by Russian security police, spent two months in jail on charges that later were dismissed, and complained that police repeatedly planted weapons at his home as a pretext to arrest him.
- Obama and Hollande pledge solidarity against Islamic State Updated: Nov-24-15 8:53 pm
WASHINGTON - In a show of Western solidarity, President Barack Obama and French President Francois Hollande vowed Tuesday to escalate airstrikes against the Islamic State and bolster intelligence sharing following the deadly attacks in Paris. They called on Russia to join the international efforts, but only if Moscow ends its support for Syria's embattled president.
- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- The Latest: France says it has struck IS center in Iraq Updated: Nov-24-15 4:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest on President Barack Obama's meeting with French President Francois Hollande at the White House on the fight against the Islamic State group:
- White House asks allies to step up in IS campaign Updated: Nov-23-15 7:22 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House urged allies on Monday to do more in the campaign against the Islamic State, while President Barack Obama faced pressure in return to show the U.S.-led coalition will intensify efforts in response to the Paris attacks, even without a major shift in strategy.
- Russia's Putin in Iran for talks focusing on Syria Updated: Nov-23-15 4:36 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Russia's President Vladimir Putin visited Tehran on Monday for talks with Iranian leaders that focused on the Syrian crisis and an international peace plan intended to end the conflict.
- Obama warns against overreaction to Islamic State attacks Updated: Nov-22-15 12:35 pm
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Trying to reassure a nation on edge, President Barack Obama said Sunday the Islamic State group "cannot strike a mortal blow" against the U.S., and he warned that overreacting to the Paris attacks would play into extremists' hands. "We will destroy this terrorist organization," he vowed.
- Obama calls on Russia to focus on Islamic State group Updated: Nov-22-15 3:11 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - President Barack Obama says Russia needs to make a strategic decision to go after the Islamic State group, not the moderate opposition forces trying to topple Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- IOC president proposes overhaul of WADA doping operations Updated: Nov-20-15 4:27 pm
PRAGUE - IOC President Thomas Bach proposed an overhaul of the World Anti-Doping Agency's operations Friday, including the creation of independent testing and professional intelligence-gathering units to avoid the kind of scandals that have embroiled Russia and track and field.
- Egypt's el-Sissi says security at airports being revised Updated: Nov-19-15 1:11 pm
CAIRO - Egypt's president said Thursday that his country has taken several steps to boost security at ports of entry following the Oct. 31 crash of a Russian airliner and vowed to not stop until all security loopholes are closed.
- Russia 2018 World Cup CEO defends Mutko's reputation Updated: Nov-19-15 11:35 am
ZURICH - The reputation of Russia's 2018 World Cup organizing head is not at risk in the country's athletics doping scandal, the tournament CEO insisted on Thursday.
- Canadian newcomer Trudeau a fresh face among APEC leaders Updated: Nov-19-15 11:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - He's younger than the next youngest leader by six years and nearly a full generation behind the 60-year-old average age of his Pacific Rim peers.
- Official says 160 Russian IS fighters killed in Syria Updated: Nov-19-15 5:33 am
MOSCOW - A Russian deputy foreign minister says that 160 Russians fighting for the Islamic State group have been killed in Syria.
- IS releases picture of bomb it says downed Russian plane Updated: Nov-18-15 1:49 pm
CAIRO - The Islamic State group has released a photo of the bomb it says was used to bring down a Russian passenger plane in Egypt's Sinai Peninsula last month, killing all 224 people on board.
- Narrowing rift, US and Russia entertain cooperation in Syria Updated: Nov-18-15 7:19 am
MOSCOW - In a striking shift, President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin are embarking on a tentative path toward closer ties and possible military cooperation, as the bitter rift over Ukraine gives way to common cause against the Islamic State group.
- Kerry says ceasefire in Syria potentially weeks away Updated: Nov-18-15 12:28 am
PARIS - A ceasefire between Syria's government and opposition could be just weeks away from reality, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Tuesday as he visited Paris to show solidarity with France after last week's attacks.
- France demands EU support in Syria, Iraq and other missions Updated: Nov-17-15 11:25 am