- Putin puts Crimean site under federal control after scandal Updated: Aug-01-15 11:56 am
MOSCOW - Russia's President Vladimir Putin on Saturday placed a major archaeological site in Crimea, which he has hailed as the country's most sacred spiritual symbol, under federal control following turmoil over the appointment of its director.
- Litvinenko widow accuses Putin of ordering husband killing Updated: Jul-31-15 12:31 pm
LONDON - Nine years after former KGB agent Alexander Litvinenko drank radioactive tea at a London hotel, an inquiry into his death ended Friday with his widow claiming President Vladimir Putin ordered the killing - and Moscow accusing Britain of politicizing the probe.
- Ukraine will try again for downed plane tribunal Updated: Jul-30-15 7:05 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Ukraine's foreign minister said Thursday that the five countries investigating the downing of a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago will try again to get U.N. Security Council approval for an international tribunal to prosecute the alleged perpetrators.
- Trump turns golf trip into extension of campaign trail Updated: Jul-30-15 1:55 pm
TURNBERRY, Scotland - Donald Trump turned a brief trip to a golf tournament in Scotland into an extension of his presidential campaign trail when he attended the Women's British Open at his plush Turnberry resort on Thursday.
- Kremlin says Russia and France agree on refund for Mistral Updated: Jul-30-15 12:55 pm
MOSCOW - A Kremlin aide says Russia and France have agreed on a refund amount for an undelivered French warship.
- Russia vetoes Security Council proposal on MH17 tribunal Updated: Jul-29-15 6:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia on Wednesday vetoed a U.N. Security Council resolution that would set up an international criminal court to prosecute those responsible for shooting down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago.
- Putin: Russia will oppose international tribunal for MH17 Updated: Jul-29-15 7:16 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin has indicated that Moscow will veto a U.N. Security Council resolution to set up an international criminal court to prosecute those responsible for shooting down a Malaysia Airlines plane over Ukraine a year ago.
- Sepp Blatter deserves the Nobel Prize, Vladimir Putin says Updated: Jul-28-15 7:46 am
MOSCOW - Vladimir Putin and Sepp Blatter just can't stop praising each other.
- Russia's synchro dynasty faces new wave of rivalries Updated: Jul-27-15 3:47 pm
KAZAN, Russia - For years they've been the queens of the pool, but now Russia's synchronized swimming stars are having to get used to something new - a fight for the gold.
- Putin, Xi, Rouhani to address annual UN high-level meeting Updated: Jul-27-15 10:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The presidents of China, Russia, Iran and the United States are scheduled to speak at the 70th annual U.N. General Assembly of world leaders in September - a rare appearance for Russian President Vladimir Putin and the first for Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Putin OKs maritime code calling for strong Atlantic presence Updated: Jul-26-15 1:14 pm
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin has approved a new version of the country's maritime doctrine that calls for maintaining a strong Russian presence in the Atlantic Ocean amid concerns about NATO expansion.
- Romanov palace imperial setting for imperious FIFA Updated: Jul-26-15 11:27 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Sepp the Great came to an old Romanov chateau for what he promises will be his final World Cup draw as FIFA president.
- Russia getting on with World Cup job as FIFA fights scandal Updated: Jul-26-15 7:30 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - As he shared the stage with FIFA's departing president Sepp Blatter, Russian President Vladimir Putin's message was simple. FIFA may be in chaos, but Russia is getting on with the job.
- The Latest: Conte says facing Spain 'very stimulating' Updated: Jul-25-15 5:51 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - The latest on Saturday's 2018 World Cup qualifying draw (times are local):
- FIFA, Blatter get back to World Cup business at Putin home Updated: Jul-25-15 5:16 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - FIFA and Sepp Blatter put their corruption crisis aside and got back to World Cup business at the 2018 tournament qualifying draw hosted by Vladimir Putin at a Russian state residence on Saturday.
- World Cup at center of Gazprom's sponsorship empire Updated: Jul-25-15 8:11 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - As FIFA descends on St. Petersburg for the World Cup preliminary draw Saturday, it is entering the capital of a sponsorship empire.
- Berlusconi says just a joke, no plans to be Russian minister Updated: Jul-24-15 6:05 am
ROME - Did Russian President Vladimir Putin offer former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi a job as economy minister? Berlusconi says it was just a joke and Putin says any support was "metaphorical."
- FIFA asks Russia why it banned player for reaction to racism Updated: Jul-23-15 10:08 am
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - FIFA has asked the Russian Football Union to explain the latest high-profile incident of racism that saw a Ghanaian player banned for two matches for his reaction to fan abuse and the alleged abusers' team escape action.
- Blatter heads to Russia for first foreign trip since crisis Updated: Jul-22-15 2:17 pm
ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - FIFA President Sepp Blatter is due in Russia on Thursday for his first overseas trip since the arrests of fellow soccer executives in May left him unwilling to leave the safety of Switzerland.
- American NGO MacArthur Foundation says it's leaving Russia Updated: Jul-22-15 5:43 am
MOSCOW - The MacArthur Foundation, a prominent American non-governmental organization that has operated in Russia for more than two decades, announced Wednesday it was leaving Russia because of the government's crackdown on foreign groups.
- Democrat, Republicans differ on Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-21-15 6:44 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama's nuclear deal with Iran drew support from a member of the Senate Democratic leadership and sharp criticism from a senior Republican on Tuesday, ahead of private briefings from Cabinet officials who negotiated the accord.
- Putin to attend World Cup draw in St. Petersburg Updated: Jul-21-15 2:03 pm
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin's spokesman says he will attend the World Cup 2018 preliminary draw on Saturday and will meet with FIFA President Sepp Blatter.
- Dutch, Ukrainians, Australians mark year since MH17 downing Updated: Jul-17-15 11:43 am
NIEUWEGEIN, Netherlands - Her voice cracking with emotion, Asmaa Aljuned delivered a parting message Friday that her late husband never got to tell passengers on Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 a year ago.
- Daughter of slain Russian opposition leader moves to Germany Updated: Jul-17-15 8:40 am
BERLIN - The daughter of slain Russian opposition leader Boris Nemtsov has left Russia to work for the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle.
- The Latest: Obama: Unlikely that deal benefits militants Updated: Jul-15-15 2:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Here are the latest developments involving the agreement between the United States, Iran and world powers to limit the Islamic Republic's nuclear program (all times EDT):