- Palestinian kills Israeli girl, 13, sleeping in her bedroom Updated: Jun-30-16 3:21 pm
JERUSALEM - A Palestinian youth sneaked into a fortified Jewish settlement in the West Bank on Thursday, broke into a home and stabbed to death a 13-year-old Israeli-American girl as she slept in bed before frantic security guards arrived and killed him.
- Israel's security figures take aim at hard-line Netanyahu Updated: Jun-28-16 2:19 pm
JERUSALEM - Long-serving Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu faces a potentially formidable challenge to his hard-line rule - not from Israel's civilian politicians but instead from its revered security establishment.
- Israeli, Turkish leaders look to gain from reconciliation Updated: Jun-27-16 4:30 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel and Turkey struck a broad reconciliation pact Monday that will restore full diplomatic relations after six years of animosity between the once-close Mideast powers.
- Israeli official: Reconciliation deal reached with Turkey Updated: Jun-26-16 8:02 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel has reached a reconciliation deal with Turkey to end a bitter six-year rift between the Mideast powers, an official said Sunday.
- Kerry urges Britain, EU to manage their divorce responsibly Updated: Jun-26-16 8:18 am
ROME - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday urged Britain and the European Union to manage their divorce responsibly for the sake of global markets and citizens, a day before he was to become the first senior American official to visit London and Brussels since the United Kingdom's historic referendum.
- Actress Helen Mirren rejects efforts to boycott Israel Updated: Jun-22-16 11:38 am
JERUSALEM - Oscar-winning actress Helen Mirren said Wednesday she was a "believer" in Israel and rejected efforts to boycott it.
- Perlman: Trump gesture about disabled reporter 'terrible' Updated: Jun-21-16 1:40 pm
JERUSALEM - Violinist Itzhak Perlman, a longtime advocate for the disabled, is still upset over Donald Trump's derisive behavior toward a disabled reporter last fall and says he will be supporting Hillary Clinton in November's election.
- Israeli lawyer uses inside knowledge against settler group Updated: Jun-21-16 3:48 am
JERUSALEM - A few years ago, Mohammad Abu Ta'a discovered that some storage trailers had disappeared from a plot of land in Jerusalem belonging to his family. Then, the family received a letter informing them they were now trespassers.
- Israeli minister suggests offshore seaport for Gaza Updated: Jun-20-16 12:53 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's transportation minister said Monday he is pushing for the construction of an "artificial island" off the coast of Hamas-ruled Gaza, saying it will alleviate economic hardship in the blockaded coastal strip and reconnect it to the rest of the world.
- Ex-Israeli defense chief to challenge Netanyahu Updated: Jun-16-16 2:08 pm
JERUSALEM - Israel's newly resigned defense minister said Thursday he will challenge Benjamin Netanyahu in the country's next election, accusing the Israeli prime minister of scaring the public with exaggerated security threats and allowing a "radical minority" to take over the government.
- World in chaos, Israel gets singular focus at UN rights body Updated: Jun-13-16 8:32 am
GENEVA - Wars in Iraq, Syria and Yemen have killed hundreds of thousands of people. Enforced disappearances, torture and extremist attacks infringe on human rights worldwide. Tyrannical, autocratic leaders and their allies from Belarus to Burundi repel dissent with an iron fist.
- The Latest: UN Security Council condemns shooting in Israel Updated: Jun-09-16 8:36 pm
JERUSALEM - The Latest on the aftermath to a deadly shooting in Tel Aviv (all times local):
- Controversial religious activist enters Israel's parliament Updated: Jun-08-16 11:44 am
JERUSALEM - For years, Yehuda Glick has pushed for greater Jewish access to Jerusalem's most sensitive holy site - promoting an ideology that has unnerved Palestinians and made him the target of an assassination attempt. Now, as a new member of Israel's parliament, Glick is vowing to use his office to press his cause, bringing his explosive campaign to the nation's corridors of power.
- Russia's Putin hosts Israel's Netanyahu for Syria talks Updated: Jun-07-16 1:02 pm
MOSCOW - Russia and Israel will expand their cooperation in the fight against terrorism, Russian President Vladimir Putin said Tuesday.
- Nations struggle to craft new Mideast peace strategy Updated: Jun-03-16 3:02 pm
PARIS - Nations struggled Friday to craft a viable new strategy for Mideast peace, failing to agree on a French proposal for an international conference that would bring together Israel and the Palestinians. Diplomats nevertheless vowed to reinvigorate a peace process that has been all but dead for two years.
- Palestinian reality TV show shines light on democracy woes Updated: Jun-02-16 5:45 pm
RAMALLAH, West Bank - The winner of this "election" for Palestinian president was a 24-year-old lawyer from east Jerusalem, who defeated a woman and a Christian from Bethlehem. But this was reality television - not real life - and the vote came on a TV show called "The President" that is meant to educate young Palestinians about politics.
- Israeli leader under fire over wife's slew of scandals Updated: Jun-01-16 1:16 pm
JERUSALEM - Already under fire in Israel and abroad, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is now dealing with headaches on the home front following a series of scandals involving his wife.
- NPR ombudsman has issues with funding by pro-Iran deal group Updated: May-31-16 1:48 pm
WASHINGTON - National Public Radio should consider avoiding grants such as one the Ploughshares Fund provided for coverage of the Iran nuclear agreement and related issues, the radio network's ombudsman said. The White House recently identified Ploughshares as a group that helped sell the multinational deal to a skeptical public.