- Ukraine vows to increase troops to fend off rebel attacks Updated: Aug-24-15 2:02 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's president vowed to increase troop numbers to fend off attacks by Russia-backed separatist rebels and warned his countrymen that there is still the threat of a "large-scale invasion," in an impassioned speech to mark Independence Day on Monday.
- Moscow urges Europe to get Ukraine to comply with truce Updated: Aug-19-15 1:43 pm
MOSCOW - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov pushed Wednesday for European powers to get Ukraine to comply with a truce in eastern Ukraine.
- Iranian, Russian ministers present united front on Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 am
MOSCOW - The foreign ministers of Russia and Iran said after talks in Moscow that their two countries have a united position on Syria, with both diplomats warning against any outside attempt to dictate a resolution to the Syrian civil war.
- Syrian opposition leader: 'Russia isn't clinging to Assad' Updated: Aug-14-15 8:52 am
MOSCOW - Russia isn't committed to keeping Syrian President Bashar Assad in power, the leader of the main Syrian opposition group said Friday after talks in Moscow.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- Kerry: Deal to bring justice for Syria chemical arms attacks Updated: Aug-06-15 7:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says he hopes an agreement reached with Russia to investigate chemical weapons attacks in Syria will hold the perpetrators accountable.
- US begins armed drone flights from Turkey Updated: Aug-03-15 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is expanding its combat role in Syria in defense of coalition-backed rebels, conducting armed drone missions into Syria from an air base in Turkey and imposing new rules allowing the U.S. to defend rebels against attacks from any hostile force, including the Assad government.
- Gulf Arabs welcome Iran nuke deal but seek further assurance Updated: Aug-03-15 11:05 am
DOHA, Qatar - Gulf Arab states on Monday welcomed the nuclear deal negotiated between Iran and world powers but said they would like further assurances that the U.S. would help them counter increasing Iranian assertiveness in the region.
- Top Russian, US and Saudi diplomats to meet in Qatar Updated: Aug-01-15 7:29 am
MOSCOW - Russia's foreign minister has scheduled a trilateral meeting in Qatar with his U.S. and Saudi counterparts.
- Kerry off to Mideast with Egypt, Iran deal, Syria on agenda Updated: Jul-31-15 11:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Secretary of State John Kerry headed to the Middle East on Friday for security talks in Egypt and discussions in Qatar with Arab foreign ministers whose countries are wary of the nuclear deal struck with Iran.