- The Latest: UN Security Council to hold meeting on Aleppo Updated: May-03-16 10:02 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and the escalating violence in the contested northern city of Aleppo (all times local):
- Violence in Syria's Aleppo kills more than a dozen people Updated: May-03-16 11:35 am
BEIRUT - Syrian opposition fighters on Tuesday shelled government-held parts of Aleppo, killing at least 12 people, as the army claimed it was repelling a wide offensive by the rebels in the country's largest city. Activists, meanwhile, said government forces were also shelling rebel-held parts of the city, killing two people and wounding several.
- US defense chief: NATO ponders ground force in Baltics Updated: May-02-16 4:43 pm
STUTTGART, Germany - The NATO alliance is considering establishing a rotational ground force in the Baltic states and possibly Poland, reflecting deepening worry about Russian military assertiveness, U.S. Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Monday.
- Navy boss: Russian jets should stop buzzing US planes, ship Updated: May-02-16 2:08 pm
WASHINGTON - Russian jets buzzing a U.S. military ship and planes in the Baltics are escalating tension between the two nations, the chief of naval operations said Monday.
- US once again forced to turn to Russia for help on Syria Updated: May-01-16 4:15 pm
GENEVA - Scrambling to resuscitate a nearly dead truce in Syria, the Obama administration has again been forced to turn to Russia for help, with little hope for the desired U.S. outcome.
- Russia, China in agreement on North Korea, South China Sea Updated: Apr-29-16 3:21 am
BEIJING - Denouncing what they see as outside interference in the South China Sea and Korean Peninsula, the foreign ministers of Russia and China voiced mutual support Friday as they seek to counter the influence of Washington and its allies, particularly in Asia.
- UN envoy appeals to US, Russia to help Syria peace talks Updated: Apr-27-16 11:39 pm
GENEVA - The U.N. envoy for Syria appealed to the U.S. and Russia to intervene to help revive Syrian peace talks that sputtered to a pause Wednesday, saying a recent spike in fighting has overshadowed the talks and put an increasingly feeble truce in "great danger."
- Ukraine, Russia reach deal to release pilot, Poroshenko says Updated: Apr-19-16 4:23 pm
MOSCOW - Ukraine and Russia have reached a deal to free a jailed Ukrainian pilot, President Petro Poroshenko said Tuesday, suggesting that she will be swapped for two Russian servicemen imprisoned in Ukraine.
- Russia, Japan agree to leaders' meetings this year Updated: Apr-15-16 8:16 am
TOKYO - Top diplomats from Japan and Russia agreed Friday on scheduling their leaders' meetings this year, starting with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's visit to Russia, to deepen relations overshadowed by a World War II territorial dispute and the conflict in Ukraine.