- Ukraine vows to increase troops to fend off rebel attacks Updated: Aug-24-15 2:02 pm
KIEV, Ukraine - Ukraine's president vowed to increase troop numbers to fend off attacks by Russia-backed separatist rebels and warned his countrymen that there is still the threat of a "large-scale invasion," in an impassioned speech to mark Independence Day on Monday.
- Moscow urges Europe to get Ukraine to comply with truce Updated: Aug-19-15 1:43 pm
MOSCOW - Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov pushed Wednesday for European powers to get Ukraine to comply with a truce in eastern Ukraine.
- Iranian, Russian ministers present united front on Syria Updated: Aug-17-15 6:22 am
MOSCOW - The foreign ministers of Russia and Iran said after talks in Moscow that their two countries have a united position on Syria, with both diplomats warning against any outside attempt to dictate a resolution to the Syrian civil war.
- Syrian opposition leader: 'Russia isn't clinging to Assad' Updated: Aug-14-15 8:52 am
MOSCOW - Russia isn't committed to keeping Syrian President Bashar Assad in power, the leader of the main Syrian opposition group said Friday after talks in Moscow.
- Saudi FM in Moscow for Syria-focused talks Updated: Aug-11-15 9:34 am
MOSCOW - Pressing to mediate the Syrian conflict, Russia on Tuesday hosted the Saudi foreign minister for talks that revealed sharp differences about the fate of Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Iran nuclear deal opens diplomatic channels for Syria Updated: Aug-07-15 4:58 pm
BEIRUT - The nuclear deal with Iran was widely expected to affect other Middle East issues, and that may already be happening with Syria: A series of recent diplomatic maneuvers suggest a growing willingness to at least engage with the Iranian-backed government of Bashar Assad on ways to end the country's civil war.
- Kerry: Deal to bring justice for Syria chemical arms attacks Updated: Aug-06-15 7:20 am
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says he hopes an agreement reached with Russia to investigate chemical weapons attacks in Syria will hold the perpetrators accountable.