- Turkey shoots down Russian jet it says violated its airspace Updated: Nov-24-15 5:41 pm
MOSCOW - Turkey shot down a Russian warplane on Tuesday that it said ignored repeated warnings and crossed into its airspace from Syria, killing at least one of the two pilots in a long-feared escalation in tensions between Russia and NATO. Russian President Vladimir Putin denounced what he called a "stab in the back" and warned of "significant consequences."
- Diplomats set plan for political change in Syria Updated: Nov-15-15 12:39 am
VIENNA - Invoking the need for joint action after the attacks in Paris, foreign ministers of nearly 20 nations agreed Saturday to an ambitious yet incomplete plan for bringing peace to Syria and ending its role as a breeding ground for ISIS and other radical Islamic groups.
- Russia warns against pressing demands for Assad's ouster Updated: Nov-09-15 3:04 pm
YEREVAN, Armenia - Russia's foreign minister said Monday the next round of Syria talks expected to be held this weekend must not focus squarely on demands for Syrian President Bashar Assad's resignation, which he called a "simplistic approach."
- US escalates involvement in Syria amid talks on Assad future Updated: Oct-30-15 11:17 pm
WASHINGTON - The United States escalated its fight against the Islamic State in Syria on Friday, pledging the first open deployment of military boots on the ground, even as U.S., Russian and other diplomats pressed a new peace effort that America hopes will hasten the departure of Bashar Assad.
- Iran to attend international talks on Syria's future Updated: Oct-28-15 12:43 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran said Wednesday it will attend the international talks on Syria's future this week in Vienna, following an invitation from the Russian envoy that would mark Tehran's first appearance at such a gathering.
- US, world powers save space for Iran at Syria talks Updated: Oct-28-15 8:05 am
WASHINGTON - This week's international talks over Syria's future will have a new player at the table: Iran, a key ally of Syria's Bashar Assad.
- Analysis: Meetings and more meetings yield no Syria solution Updated: Oct-26-15 5:04 pm
WASHINGTON - Another meeting in another luxury hotel in another European city oozing with diplomatic history.