- Anti-austerity Portuguese government gets EU's OK for budget Updated: Feb-05-16 1:09 pm
LISBON, Portugal - In a tug of war over budgets, the European Commission approved Portugal's so-called anti-austerity spending plan on Friday, but only after extracting a promise for almost $1 billion in additional cost cuts.
- German state governor draws criticism over Putin visit Updated: Feb-04-16 2:39 am
BERLIN - Bavaria's governor is drawing criticism in Germany for traveling to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin and sounding a softer tone on sanctions than his country's government.
- Scientists in Germany switch on nuclear fusion experiment Updated: Feb-03-16 11:58 am
GREIFSWALD, Germany - Scientists in Germany flipped the switch Wednesday on an experiment they hope will advance the quest for nuclear fusion, considered a clean and safe form of nuclear power.
- As Europe grapples with migrant influx, benefits limited Updated: Feb-02-16 9:38 am
BERLIN - Germany is mulling taking away benefits from asylum-seekers if they refuse to try to learn the language and integrate; Denmark has just approved a measure to let police seize valuables from migrants to help cover their housing and food costs; and an Austrian province this week is expected to more than halve payments to many refugees.
- Germany's Merkel presses Putin on Ukraine separatists Updated: Feb-02-16 5:46 am
BERLIN - The German government says Chancellor Angela Merkel has urged President Vladimir Putin to use Russia's influence with separatists in eastern Ukraine to help secure progress toward a political solution.
- Merkel and Davutoglu seek solutions to migrant crisis Updated: Jan-22-16 12:33 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Turkish Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu pledged Friday to continue to work intensively together to solve Europe's migrant crisis - not only to stem the flow of people but to improve conditions in camps in Turkey and to try and bring about a peace deal in Syria.
- Obama calls Germany's Merkel to talk Syrian refugee crisis Updated: Jan-21-16 7:01 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is trying to round up support for his plans to host a high-level summit on refugees at the United Nations later this year.
- Merkel's migrant troubles flare but chancellor stands firm Updated: Jan-17-16 5:19 am
BERLIN - Chancellor Angela Merkel's migrant troubles have reignited in the new year but the German leader is sticking to her guns, insisting her country will manage the challenge and that diplomacy can bring solutions.
- German finance chief floats gasoline tax in migrant crisis Updated: Jan-16-16 7:38 am
BERLIN - Germany's finance minister on Saturday floated the idea of a European tax on gasoline to help finance the continent's efforts to manage the migrant crisis.
- German politician sends bus with refugees to Merkel Updated: Jan-14-16 2:17 pm
BERLIN - A bus carrying 31 Syrian refugees arrived from southern Germany in Berlin on Thursday night as a district councilor in Bavaria followed up on his pledge to Chancellor Angela Merkel that he'd send refugees her way if his district could no longer provide accommodation for them.
- 10 dead, 15 wounded in Istanbul tourist district explosion Updated: Jan-12-16 10:52 am
ISTANBUL - A suicide bomber affiliated with the Islamic State group detonated a bomb in a historic district of Istanbul popular with tourists Tuesday morning, killing at least 10 people - nine of them German tourists - and wounding 15 others, Turkish officials said.