- Germany wants quick clarification of new NSA spy allegations Updated: Jul-03-15 8:32 am
BERLIN - Germany's foreign minister said Friday that new allegations of U.S. eavesdropping on senior German government officials' telephones need to be clarified "as quickly as possible" and that he hoped Washington would be forthcoming with information.
- The Latest: British leader says Greek vote is a vote on euro Updated: Jun-29-15 8:04 am
ATHENS, Greece - The latest news on Greece's financial woes as it closes its banks and limits money withdrawals (all times local):
- Merkel faces Greek challenge with strong political capital Updated: Jun-27-15 3:06 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel has emerged undamaged from the global financial crisis, European bailouts, an astonishing U-turn on nuclear power and the crisis over Ukraine.
- White House: Putin calls Obama, discuss Ukraine, IS, Iran Updated: Jun-25-15 11:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Barack Obama spoke by telephone Thursday and discussed continued tensions in eastern Ukraine and the fight against the Islamic State in the Middle East. The last time the men spoke was in February, the White House said.
- Putin: US and France will hush up eavesdropping scandal Updated: Jun-25-15 10:24 am
MOSCOW - Russian President Vladimir Putin says he expects the United States and France will try to quickly contain an uproar caused by WikiLeaks' revelations that the NSA was eavesdropping on three French presidents.
- Meet the protagonists in the Greek bailout drama Updated: Jun-24-15 11:45 am
BRUSSELS - Even if the policy talk can be deadening, the main protagonists in the Greek bailout drama have brought their big, sometimes oversized, personalities to the negotiating table.
- Queen Elizabeth II begins state visit to Germany Updated: Jun-23-15 2:17 pm
BERLIN - Queen Elizabeth II began a state visit to Germany on Tuesday that will include her first trip to a former Nazi concentration camp.
- Putin discusses Ukraine in call with Merkel, Hollande Updated: Jun-22-15 12:01 pm
MOSCOW - The Kremlin says leaders of Russia, France and Germany have discussed the Ukraine crisis before a new round of diplomatic efforts.
- Merkel: EU should deal seriously with British reform demands Updated: Jun-18-15 5:19 am
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel says the European Union should deal "seriously and conscientiously" with British demands for changes to the bloc, but is stressing that fundamental principles such as the free movement of workers aren't up for negotiation.
- Bush happy to echo father's legacy in eastern Europe Updated: Jun-13-15 9:01 am
TALLINN, Estonia - Jeb Bush strolled the halls of the Polish parliament, praised Germany's economic boom since the fall of the Berlin Wall and visited Estonia, a once-bleak Soviet state that now has a growing, free-market high-tech economy.
- Greek anti-austerity protesters hold finance ministry sit-in Updated: Jun-11-15 4:01 am
ATHENS, Greece - Greek left-wing demonstrators are staging a sit-in at the finance ministry building in central Athens, in a protest against the radical, left-led government, which they accuse of planning new austerity measures.
- From fossil fuels to epidemics: What the G-7 decided Updated: Jun-09-15 1:25 pm
BERLIN - German Chancellor Angela Merkel went into the Group of Seven summit in the Bavarian Alps with a broad agenda, but combating climate change was a top priority. At the two-day meeting of the leaders of Germany, Britain, Canada, France, Italy, Japan and the U.S., the G-7's most eye-catching pledge was a commitment to move away from using fossil fuels by the end of this century.
- Queen Elizabeth II to visit ex-concentration camp in Germany Updated: Jun-08-15 2:27 pm
LONDON - Queen Elizabeth II will visit a former concentration camp for the first time during her state visit to Germany later this month, Buckingham Palace said Monday.
- THE LATEST: Obama says G-7 studying more sanctions on Russia Updated: Jun-08-15 11:35 am
ELMAU, Germany - 5:27 p.m. (1527GMT; 12:27 a.m. EDT)
- Obama's trade quest in Congress trails him across Atlantic Updated: Jun-07-15 6:10 pm
ELMAU, Germany - President Barack Obama's politically fraught trade quest in Washington trailed him across the Atlantic Sunday, as he met with world leaders anxiously watching a debate on Capitol Hill that could impact the status of economic pacts with the Asia-Pacific and Europe.
- UK's David Cameron urges global fight against corruption Updated: Jun-06-15 5:54 am
LONDON - British Prime Minister David Cameron says the bribery scandal engulfing soccer's governing body should spur world leaders to tackle corruption in governments, businesses and international organizations.
- At G-7, Japan's energy plan is not all that green Updated: Jun-06-15 2:04 am
TOKYO - Japan may find itself the odd man out when Prime Minister Shinzo Abe presents his government's blueprint for combating climate change at this weekend's summit of the world's leading industrialized democracies.
- German court: up to 50 people can protest near G7 summit Updated: Jun-05-15 11:48 am
BERLIN - A German court has ruled that up to 50 demonstrators can stage a protest within sight and earshot of the Group of Seven summit venue in the Bavarian Alps.
- Dijsselbloem is candidate for 2nd term as euro group leader Updated: Jun-05-15 9:58 am
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - Dutch Finance Minister Jeroen Dijsselbloem announced his candidacy for a second term as leader of the group of euro area finance ministers Friday and will face a challenge from his Spanish counterpart Luis de Guindos.
- EU weighs unprecedented reform as Britain threatens to leave Updated: Jun-05-15 7:52 am
BRUSSELS - The prospect that economic and diplomatic heavyweight Britain might leave the European Union within two years has pushed EU leaders to consider concessions to keep the country in the fold.
- Merkel pursues ambitious agenda for G7 summit Updated: Jun-05-15 5:38 am
BERLIN - When Germany last hosted a summit of the world's leading industrialized democracies, Chancellor Angela Merkel was a relative newcomer on the world stage. With less than two years in office she focused on one major theme: the fight against climate change.