- New York attorney general to investigate woman's jail death Updated: Aug-03-15 9:17 pm
WHITE PLAINS, New York - The state's top prosecutor said Monday that he will investigate the jail cell death of a mother of eight who waited two days for arraignment on a shoplifting arrest.
- New York attorney general praises federal power plant rules Updated: Aug-03-15 6:36 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York Attorney General Eric Schneiderman says he'll join nine other states in defending President Barack Obama's plan to dramatically cut U.S power plant emissions if it's challenged in court.
- Ferguson spurs 40 new state measures; activists want more Updated: Aug-02-15 10:47 am
JEFFERSON CITY, Missouri - When a white Ferguson policeman fatally shot a black 18-year-old nearly a year ago, the St. Louis suburb erupted in violent protests and the nation took notice. Since then, legislators in almost every state have proposed changes to the way police interact with the public.
- New York lawmakers at odds over proposed Billy Joel highway Updated: Aug-01-15 8:49 am
HICKSVILLE, New York - New York lawmakers are battling over whether to rename part of a Long Island road after Billy Joel.
- Amtrak repairing tunnel cable, investigating power failures Updated: Jul-30-15 6:23 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Amtrak workers continued repairs Thursday on a 300-foot-long section of electrical cable in the railroad's tunnel under the Hudson River as officials work around them to determine what caused power failures last week that led to a series of delays for train travelers.
- Ex-NY Senate leader heading to trial on corruption charges Updated: Jul-30-15 1:40 pm
NEW YORK - A former state Senate leader is set to go to trial this fall on charges he sold his office for the sake of his adult son.
- NY Gov. Cuomo: Feds must contribute more for Hudson tunnels Updated: Jul-29-15 5:20 pm
ALBANY, New York - New rail tunnels under the Hudson River are needed to reduce delays, but the expensive project won't work without a greater financial commitment from the federal government, New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Wednesday.
- Cuomo, Schneiderman to brief clergy on special prosecutor Updated: Jul-29-15 10:43 am
NEW YORK - New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Attorney General Eric Schneiderman are scheduled to meet with clergy members and community leaders in New York City to brief them on the new special prosecutor responsible for investigating killings of unarmed civilians by police.
- NY Gov. Cuomo burnishes labor ties at Lake George events Updated: Jul-28-15 2:55 pm
BOLTON LANDING, New York - New York's governor has travelled to Lake George to address two meetings of labor unions and tout investments in big construction projects like the new Tappan Zee Bridge and a plan to rebuild LaGuardia Airport.
- NJ Transit trains back on schedule in and out of New York Updated: Jul-28-15 12:20 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - New Jersey Transit says trains into and out of Penn Station are operating on or close to schedule after earlier delays of up to 30 minutes.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 11:29 pm
NEW YORK - A year after comparing New York's LaGuardia Airport to "some Third World Country," Vice President Joe Biden helped unveil an ambitious plan Monday to rebuild its collection of aging terminals into a modern, unified hub while easing congestion by doubling the space available for planes to operate.
- NY wins $600 million hub for photonics research, development Updated: Jul-27-15 5:12 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - Rochester, whose fortunes have risen and fallen with the demand for futuristic technologies from former powerhouses like Xerox and Kodak, is looking for its next big breakthrough in the field of integrated photonics, a light science with the potential to transform communications, medicine and national defense.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday introduced a plan to redesign and rebuild LaGuardia airport, replacing the cramped, outdated hub with a unified terminal that will have more than double the operational space for airliners.
- As Democrats fret over 'sharing economy,' GOP moves in Updated: Jul-26-15 2:55 am
DENVER - The debate over ride-hailing firm Uber is laying bare divides in the Democratic Party and on the left about how to handle the new "sharing" economy. Republicans are hungry to exploit that ambivalence and make inroads into a wealthy sector of the tech industry.
- NY comptroller urges more scrutiny of Long Island utility Updated: Jul-24-15 4:40 pm
ALBANY, New York - New York's state comptroller says more oversight is needed of Long Island Power Authority, whose customers remain plagued by high electricity rates and rising debt despite reform efforts.
- Where's the beef? Fast-food franchisees pan NY wage hike Updated: Jul-23-15 8:59 pm
NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo wants to have it his way with New York's fast-food industry - and restaurant owners aren't loving it.
- Fallout from Uber deal keeps tensions high at NYC City Hall Updated: Jul-23-15 5:59 pm
NEW YORK - The deal that, for now, decided the ride-hailing behemoth Uber's future in New York City began with a phone call to Rome.
- Uber growth unhampered in surprise deal with NYC Updated: Jul-23-15 1:37 am
NEW YORK - Uber cars can continue to be a growing presence on the streets of New York City now that an agreement has been reached between the ride-hailing company and the city.
- NYC to MTA: Let's work to fill $14 billion funding gap Updated: Jul-22-15 7:35 am
NEW YORK - Mayor Bill de Blasio's administration wants the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to work with New York City to figure out how to fund a $14 billion gap in the transportation agency's capital plan.
- Cuomo fills health and human services post in cabinet Updated: Jul-21-15 3:05 am
ALBANY, New York - New York gov. Andrew Cuomo has appointed Paul Francis as his deputy secretary for health and human services.
- New York Assembly speaker to kick off upstate tour Updated: Jul-20-15 11:26 am
SYRACUSE, New York - The new speaker of the New York state Assembly is heading north to visit with leaders and residents in the upstate region.
- NY environmental commissioner exiting after bike ride Updated: Jul-20-15 9:31 am
ALBANY, New York - Joe Martens didn't get out too much as New York's environmental commissioner, responsible for millions of acres of wilderness and other protected land, yet he made up some lost ground last week bicycling east across the state.
- Cuomo hits Adirondacks to promote New York state tourism Updated: Jul-19-15 8:14 pm
INDIAN LAKE, New York - Gov. Andrew Cuomo headed north Sunday to the Adirondack Mountains to promote the area's outdoor recreational activities - from whitewater rafting and hiking to fishing, canoeing and horseback riding.
- Shrinking Kodak takes on new role: startup landlord Updated: Jul-18-15 3:34 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - The chemical know-how and machines that spooled out countless miles of film are being eyed for medical marijuana and solar cells, while the private rail line now carries tomatoes alongside coal as photography pioneer Kodak, its bankruptcy behind it, embraces a new role: startup landlord.
- State's new legislative leaders see jump in contributions Updated: Jul-16-15 4:51 pm
ALBANY, New York - In Albany, it pays to be in charge.