- CDC urges speed on Zika as House moves to negotiate funding Updated: May-26-16 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. must act more quickly to protect pregnant women from birth defect-causing Zika, a top health official said Thursday even as the House left town for its Memorial Day recess with no visible progress toward a congressional compromise on emergency funding to battle the virus.
- GOP conservatives scuttle spending bill over gay rights Updated: May-26-16 3:40 pm
WASHINGTON - Angry House conservatives voted down a routine spending bill Thursday in a fight over gay rights, underscoring the passions surrounding a social issue that is dividing the Republican Party and the nation in this election year.
- Puerto Rico clears first hurdle with committee vote Updated: May-25-16 6:13 pm
WASHINGTON - A bipartisan deal to help Puerto Rico manage its crippling finances cleared its first hurdle Wednesday with approval from a Republican-led House committee.
- The Latest: Congressional Dems play down Clinton report Updated: May-25-16 3:09 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the State Department audit that faulted Hillary Clinton's email practices and cybersecurity (all times local):
- Before island's primary, Sanders criticizes Puerto Rico plan Updated: May-23-16 5:18 pm
LOS ANGELES - Two weeks before Puerto Rico's primary, Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders says a deal between House leaders and the Obama administration to help the island out of debt has colonialist overtones.
- Relief and anger in Puerto Rico as Congress acts on debt Updated: May-20-16 6:01 am
SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico - After months of pleading from Puerto Rico's government, the U.S. Congress has agreed to help the territory restructure its massive public debt. But it comes at a steep cost: a degree of lost sovereignty with the imposition of a fiscal control board as well as a potential lower minimum wage for young workers on the island.
- US Rep. Mark Takai will not seek re-election due to cancer Updated: May-20-16 1:51 am
HONOLULU - U.S. Rep. Mark Takai has announced he will not seek a second term in Congress due to health problems.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Gowdy remarks stir partisan Benghazi feud Updated: May-18-16 2:36 pm
WASHINGTON - It's a question congressional investigators have long been seeking to answer: Could the military have reached the besieged diplomatic outpost in Benghazi, Libya, in time to prevent the killings of four Americans, including U.S. Ambassador Chris Stevens, the night of Sept. 11, 2012?
- Revamped San Francisco Museum of Modern Art reopens Updated: May-14-16 5:21 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The revamped San Francisco Museum of Modern Art reopened Saturday with a marching band, jumbo red balloons and red confetti raining down from the top of the new 10-story white building with a bulging side.
- The Latest: Kasich calls for balance on gay rights, religion Updated: Apr-29-16 7:40 pm
BURLINGAME, California - The Latest on the California Republican Party's convention, a stage for the GOP presidential candidates (all times local):