- Obama says UK committed to 'orderly transition' out of EU Updated: Jun-24-16 3:51 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama tried to reassure Britons Friday that the special relationship between Washington and London would withstand an impending and likely messy divorce from Europe, as his administration scrambled to assess the fallout.
- After Orlando, slight cracks in gun-rights' grip on Congress Updated: Jun-24-16 2:03 pm
WASHINGTON - How has the Orlando shooting slaughter affected the politics of gun control in Congress? A bipartisan House measure barring firearms sales to some suspected terrorists nicely captures the mix of new and familiar forces in play.
- House Speaker Ryan proposes simpler tax code Updated: Jun-24-16 12:37 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans led by Speaker Paul Ryan unveiled a plan for a simpler tax code, the sixth and last installment of a GOP agenda designed to be a policy counterpoint to the personality-driven campaign of Donald Trump.
- Lewis, who shed blood for civil rights, leads Dems on guns Updated: Jun-23-16 3:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Rep. John Lewis, who shed blood in Selma for civil rights, sat shoulder to shoulder with fellow Democrats on the House floor as the leader of an extraordinary protest demanding votes on gun control.
- US Rep. Fattah steps down after racketeering conviction Updated: Jun-23-16 3:34 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Democratic U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah resigned from Congress on Thursday, two days after his conviction in a Philadelphia racketeering case.
- Democrats end 25-hour plus protest to demand House gun votes Updated: Jun-23-16 1:14 pm
WASHINGTON - House Democrats have ended their 25½-hour sit-in on the chamber's floor that they've been staging to demand votes on gun control.
- The Latest: Democrats say gun protest succeeded Updated: Jun-23-16 5:06 am
WASHINGTON - 4:15 a.m.
- Candidates avoid Medicare, Social Security finance woes Updated: Jun-23-16 4:54 am
WASHINGTON - The nation's framework for economic security and health care in retirement is financially unsustainable, but you wouldn't know it from listening to the presidential candidates.
- Dem congressman offers resignation after conviction Updated: Jun-22-16 7:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Rep. Chaka Fattah of Pennsylvania offered his resignation from the House effective Oct. 3 following his conviction on charges of racketeering, fraud and money laundering.
- Wisconsin Republicans still struggling with Trump Updated: Jun-22-16 3:20 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Even as some Wisconsin Republicans are urging delegates to the national convention to get aboard the movement to dump presumptive presidential nominee Donald Trump, others in the state GOP continue to urge unity.
- Dump Trump movement preparing fight at GOP convention Updated: Jun-22-16 8:10 am
WASHINGTON - The "dump Trump" movement is gaining followers among delegates to next month's Republican National Convention, an effort that could tarnish Donald Trump's coronation even if it ultimately fails.
- House Republicans offering proposals for health care changes Updated: Jun-22-16 3:06 am
WASHINGTON - House Republicans are unveiling new proposals to repeal and replace President Barack Obama's health care law, as Speaker Paul Ryan sought to showcase a GOP governing agenda amid the tumult of the presidential campaign.
- Walker says delegates should vote their conscience on Trump Updated: Jun-21-16 2:21 pm
WATERTOWN, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Tuesday he agrees that delegates to the Republican national convention should be free to vote their conscience, even if that means not supporting presumptive nominee Donald Trump.
- Walker says delegates should vote their conscience Updated: Jun-21-16 1:46 pm
WATERTOWN, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker says he agrees that delegates to the Republican national convention should be free to vote their conscience, even if that means not supporting presumptive nominee Donald Trump.
- Lagging in fundraising, Trump calls on GOP for more support Updated: Jun-21-16 12:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump acknowledged Tuesday that he is struggling to rally fellow Republicans as new fundraising reports show him badly lagging Hillary Clinton in campaign cash.
- Some excerpts from recent Wisconsin editorials Updated: Jun-20-16 8:32 pm
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, June 16
- Trump fires his campaign manager in dramatic shake-up Updated: Jun-20-16 5:57 pm
NEW YORK - Donald Trump abruptly fired campaign manager Corey Lewandowski on Monday in a dramatic shake-up designed to calm panicked Republican leaders and end an internal power struggle plaguing the billionaire businessman's unconventional White House bid.
- Trump backtracks on guns-in-clubs statement Updated: Jun-20-16 12:33 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump is backtracking from his contention that victims of the Orlando massacre should have been allowed to carry arms into the nightclub where they were attacked - a stance even the NRA says is untenable.
- Lineups for Sunday news shows Updated: Jun-18-16 11:45 am
WASHINGTON - Guest lineups for the Sunday TV news shows:
- Ryan: Republicans should follow 'conscience' on Trump Updated: Jun-17-16 11:05 pm
WASHINGTON - House Speaker Paul Ryan says Republican lawmakers should follow their conscience in deciding whether or not to support Donald Trump, the GOP's presumptive nominee for president.
- Congress stalemated on guns despite shooting, filibuster Updated: Jun-16-16 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The slaughter in Florida and an attention-grabbing filibuster in the Senate did little to break the election-year stalemate in Congress over guns Thursday, with both sides unwilling to budge and Republicans standing firm against any new legislation opposed by the National Rifle Association.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Jun-15-16 6:01 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in the United States and abroad:
- GOP-led House committee pushes through censure of IRS head Updated: Jun-15-16 2:28 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican-run House committee Wednesday voted along party lines to censure IRS Commissioner John Koskinen, saying he failed to provide information demanded by Congress and lied under oath as lawmakers investigated allegations the agency targeted tea party groups that had applied for tax-exempt status.
- Trump campaign hires Wisconsin state director Updated: Jun-15-16 1:28 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Donald Trump's presidential campaign has hired its first paid staff in Wisconsin, a state that's expected to be a key target for the Republican in the race against Democrat Hillary Clinton.
- Recent editorials published in Indiana newspapers Updated: Jun-14-16 10:01 am
The (Bloomington) Herald-Times. June 9, 2016