- Bush lauded at Tenn. GOP event, but will state vote follow? Updated: Jun-01-15 5:15 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The speakers at the Tennessee Republican Party fundraiser over the weekend took turns heaping praise on former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, the keynote speaker at the annual Statesmen's Dinner.
- Obama signs bill giving Congress a say on Iran nuclear deal Updated: May-22-15 4:11 pm
WASHINGTON - Though he once vigorously opposed its involvement, President Barack Obama signed legislation Friday that gives Congress the power to review and potentially reject a nuclear deal with Iran.
- Democrats seek return to relevance in Tennessee politics Updated: May-21-15 5:51 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - For a party once accustomed to dominating state politics, the outlook for Tennessee Democrats is bleak.
- Tennessee editorial roundup Updated: May-20-15 1:13 pm
Recent editorials from Tennessee newspapers:
- Alexander, Corker question renewable energy plans by TVA Updated: May-19-15 9:31 am
KNOXVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee's Republican U.S. senators, Lamar Alexander and Bob Corker, are questioning why the Tennessee Valley Authority is placing greater emphasis on renewable energy as part of its long-term plans.
- Push to write new war powers for Obama stalls in Congress Updated: May-18-15 10:55 am
WASHINGTON - A move to write new war powers to authorize the Obama administration's 9-month-old battle against Islamic State militants has stalled in Congress. It might even be dead.
- Lawmakers press admin over response to China island building Updated: May-13-15 5:05 pm
WASHINGTON - Senators pressured the Obama administration on Wednesday for a more robust response to China's provocative actions in East Asian seas, as concern grows in Washington that Beijing is building artificial islands to assert military control over disputed territory.
- Top senator: Domestic surveillance needs to be ramped up Updated: May-13-15 11:21 am
WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee says he is shocked at how little information the National Security Agency is collecting through American phone records. He says the American public should be less worried about privacy and should back increased collection as a means of foiling terrorist attacks.
- Obama administration urges approval of US-China nuclear pact Updated: May-12-15 5:05 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration on Tuesday urged senators to support a new 30-year agreement with China on civilian nuclear cooperation but faced a barrage of concern from both parties that Chinese companies are exporting sensitive technology to Iran and North Korea.
- Magazine drops Tenn. ranking over VW political interference Updated: May-12-15 10:16 am
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Tennessee has a dropped a spot in Chief Executive magazine's annual rating of the best and worst states for business over political interference on labor issues at the Volkswagen plant in Chattanooga.
- Iran Legislation is win-win for GOP, Obama Updated: May-08-15 10:26 am
WASHINGTON - Republicans in control of Congress want a say on negotiations to ease sanctions against Iran in exchange for concessions on nuclear research and development, and a bipartisan accomplishment signed into law to showcase an ability to govern sensibly.