- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Aug-25-15 2:14 pm
Congress will vote next month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to dismantle Iran's nuclear capabilities in exchange for billions in international sanctions relief.
- Hottest ticket in Washington? It's for the Pope at Capitol Updated: Aug-13-15 12:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Rep. Peter Welch's sister, Maureen, had better intelligence than the five-term Vermont congressman about Pope Francis' upcoming trip to the United States and his historic address to Congress.
- Billionaire wants oil refiners to disclose California profit Updated: Aug-05-15 8:12 pm
SANTA MONICA, California - Billionaire environmentalist Tom Steyer called on California legislators Wednesday to require oil companies to disclose how much they make in profits from refining oil in the state.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: GOP holds panel vote in lunchroom Updated: Aug-05-15 3:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Over the protests of boycotting Democrats, a Senate GOP-controlled panel Wednesday approved legislation designed to block the Obama administration from implementing tough new standards on greenhouse gas emissions from power plants.
- Obama, Netanyahu make dueling appeals on Iran to US Jews Updated: Aug-04-15 8:49 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu made dueling appeals to the American Jewish community Tuesday as they sought to rally support for their opposing positions on the Iranian nuclear deal.
- News Guide: A look at the Iran nuclear deal and Congress Updated: Aug-04-15 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress' vote on the international accord to curb Iran's nuclear program in exchange for billions of dollars in sanction relief stands as the most crucial national security decision since lawmakers voted in 2002 to authorize the invasion of Iraq.
- Congress passes 3-month highway, transit aid patch Updated: Jul-30-15 3:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama a three-month bill to keep highway and transit money flowing to states on Thursday, one day before the deadline for a cutoff of funds.
- Feinstein changes focus of new drought bill Updated: Jul-29-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California introduced a new drought relief bill Wednesday that emphasizes long-term investments in desalination, recycling and new or expanded reservoirs.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jul-29-15 4:00 pm
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers: