- Congress passes 3-month highway, transit aid patch Updated: Jul-30-15 3:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress sent President Barack Obama a three-month bill to keep highway and transit money flowing to states on Thursday, one day before the deadline for a cutoff of funds.
- Feinstein changes focus of new drought bill Updated: Jul-29-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Dianne Feinstein of California introduced a new drought relief bill Wednesday that emphasizes long-term investments in desalination, recycling and new or expanded reservoirs.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jul-29-15 4:00 pm
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers:
- Senate moves forward on 6-year highway, transit bill Updated: Jul-22-15 9:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate agreed Wednesday to take up a sweeping transportation bill a little over a week before states will face a cutoff of highway and transit aid in the middle of the summer construction season.
- White House seeking Democrats to support Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Just hours after announcing a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran on Tuesday, the White House launched a robust lobbying campaign to persuade skeptical Democrats in Congress to approve the deal.
- Kamala Harris has more than $3 million for Senate race Updated: Jul-13-15 12:18 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. Senate campaign of Democratic candidate Kamala Harris says it raised more than $1.6 million during the most recent fundraising quarter that ended June 30.
- Obama designates national monuments in Texas, Calif., Nevada Updated: Jul-10-15 2:48 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama designated new national monuments Friday in California, Nevada and Texas, setting aside millions of acres that are home to prehistoric rock carvings, Mammoth bones and popular outdoors destinations. The presidential move ran into immediate resistance from some Republicans, who accused Obama of a sneaky land grab that ignored the interests of local residents.
- New national monuments coming in Texas, California, Nevada Updated: Jul-10-15 9:59 am
WASHINGTON - Mammoth bones, prehistoric rock carvings and more than a million acres of wilderness will be protected as part of three new national monuments that President Barack Obama is creating in California, Nevada and Texas.
- Democratic Senate hopefuls react cautiously to pier shooting Updated: Jul-09-15 7:13 pm
WASHINGTON - California's U.S. senators are reacting to the shooting death of a San Francisco woman at a popular sightseeing pier by saying something is broken with an immigration system that allowed the shooting suspect to be free despite an extensive criminal history and five deportations.