- Mississippi education leaders seek 8 percent budget increase Updated: Feb-09-16 6:51 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi's public schools, community colleges and universities are asking for an additional $372 million in the budget year beginning July 1, even as House Appropriations Committee Chairman Herb Frierson said lagging state revenue makes large increases more unlikely than ever.
- Bryant's State of the State calls for 'blue-collar' tax cuts Updated: Jan-26-16 8:38 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Mississippi Gov. Phil Bryant called for "blue-collar" tax cuts, public school choice and more spending on the state's troubled foster care system and crumbling highways during his annual State of the State address on Tuesday.
- Reeves keeps most of same leadership team in state Senate Updated: Jan-25-16 8:04 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - Second-term Republican Lt. Gov. Tate Reeves is keeping most of his same leadership team in the Mississippi Senate, including chairmen of two powerful money committees.
- State school board approves tweaks to academic standards Updated: Jan-21-16 6:22 pm
CLINTON, Mississippi - Mississippi's state Board of Education unanimously adopted a series of minor changes to the state's academic standards Thursday, in what could be a quiet end to a controversy over the Common Core-linked guidance over what students should learn.
- Powerball renews interest in state lottery Updated: Jan-17-16 7:53 pm
JACKSON, Mississippi - State Rep. Robert Johnson says all the money Mississippi residents spent on Powerball tickets could have helped Mississippi if it had been spent there instead of Louisiana. But Mississippi is one of six states that don't run lotteries.
- Mississippi editorial roundup Updated: Jan-13-16 9:33 am
Recent editorials from Mississippi newspapers: