- Louisiana files response to Planned Parenthood lawsuit Updated: Aug-31-15 7:10 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration told a federal judge that Louisiana can boot Planned Parenthood from Medicaid under both federal law and the terms of the organization's state contract.
- Planned Parenthood sues Alabama over end to Medicaid funds Updated: Aug-28-15 9:41 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Planned Parenthood Southeast on Friday filed a federal lawsuit over Gov. Robert Bentley's effort to cut off Medicaid payments to the organization's Alabama clinics.
- Obama to people of New Orleans: You inspire me, and America Updated: Aug-27-15 9:01 pm
NEW ORLEANS - Visiting residents on tidy porch stoops and sampling the fried chicken at a corner restaurant, President Barack Obama held out the people of New Orleans on Thursday as an extraordinary example of renewal and resilience 10 years after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina.
- Tim Scott hosting Rick Perry at town hall in Columbia Updated: Aug-27-15 4:06 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Rick Perry is the latest Republican presidential candidate to take part in a town hall meeting with South Carolina's junior senator.
- Jindal to Obama: No climate change talk for Katrina visit Updated: Aug-26-15 6:20 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Gov. Bobby Jindal is urging President Barack Obama to skip talking about climate change when he visits New Orleans on Thursday to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Hurricane Katrina.
- Bush talks tax-cutting in speech to tea party group Updated: Aug-21-15 3:38 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush is highlighting his experience cutting taxes and overhauling Florida's education system in an appeal to tea party conservatives.
- Top South Carolina prosecutor hosting presidential hopefuls Updated: Aug-20-15 3:15 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - South Carolina's top prosecutor is taking part in a series of conversations with more than a dozen of the contenders seeking the Republican presidential nomination.
- Gov. Bobby Jindal joining US Sen. Tim Scott's town hall Updated: Aug-20-15 9:16 am
ANDERSON, South Carolina - Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal is in South Carolina this week for a town hall meeting with one of the state's senators.
- GOP presidential hopefuls gather for education summit Updated: Aug-19-15 4:05 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Six Republican presidential hopefuls are heading to New Hampshire to discuss elementary and secondary education policy.
- Candidates for La. governor back plans to divert river water Updated: Aug-18-15 8:59 pm
THIBODAUX, Louisiana - The four candidates in the race to become the next Louisiana governor each said fixing Louisiana's dire coastal land loss will require moving ahead with multibillion-dollar plans - opposed by many fishermen - to divert Mississippi River water into disappearing estuaries.
- GOP hopeful Scott Walker offers health plan with tax credits Updated: Aug-18-15 2:28 pm
BROOKLYN CENTER, Minnesota - Republican presidential candidate Scott Walker on Tuesday offered an alternative to President Barack Obama's health care law that would provide tax credits and restructure Medicaid, and took a swipe at GOP rivals in Congress for their inability to repeal the law.
- Treasurer: Put Charity Hospital development plans on hold Updated: Aug-17-15 6:55 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Treasurer John Kennedy wants Gov. Bobby Jindal's administration to leave any planning about the future of the shuttered, historic Charity Hospital in New Orleans to Louisiana's next governor and lawmakers.
- 2016 hopefuls hit the gym, try to skip pie on campaign trail Updated: Aug-17-15 3:44 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Scott Walker is counting steps on his FitBit. Jeb Bush swears by the Paleo diet. Bobby Jindal is a "gym rat."
- Tab to protect visiting governors and state officials rising Updated: Aug-14-15 7:29 pm
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - The cost to Florida taxpayers to provide around-the-clock security for visiting governors and other officials jumped in the past year, partly because of high-profile Republicans who were in the state to campaign for Gov. Rick Scott.
- Increase to child care assistance program gets BESE support Updated: Aug-12-15 1:25 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Louisiana's state school board agreed Wednesday to boost day care assistance to low-income families.
- Transportation group pressing candidates to support gas tax Updated: Aug-10-15 4:53 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - With Louisiana's highway and bridge needs topping $12 billion, a transportation advocacy group said Monday that the state's next governor should back an increase in the gasoline tax to shrink the backlog, fill potholes and ease traffic.
- Constitutional convention sparking buzz, but odds still long Updated: Aug-10-15 12:32 pm
AUSTIN, Texas - With Republicans controlling more than half the state legislatures across the country, some want to use that power to push for a federal spending limit through a mechanism unused since George Washington's day.
- As Kasich takes stage, Democrats push back against claims Updated: Aug-06-15 6:36 pm
CLEVELAND - As Ohio Gov. John Kasich joined a crowd of fellow Republicans appearing in his home state at Thursday's first presidential debate, national and state Democrats criticized the record he touts of improving the state's economy, adding jobs and helping the less fortunate.
- Governor to cut state Medicaid money to Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-06-15 6:24 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley said Thursday that he is cutting off state Medicaid payments to Planned Parenthood in the face of undercover videos shot by anti-abortion activists that implied the group was selling fetal tissue to researchers.
- Candidates for governor differ on how to serve elderly Updated: Aug-06-15 4:41 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana - Three contenders to be Louisiana's next governor pledged Thursday they'd elevate elderly affairs issues to a cabinet-level department, rather than a small agency inside the governor's office.
- Spared death in 2008, man continues appeals in child rape Updated: Aug-06-15 2:37 pm
NEW ORLEANS - He was spared the death penalty by the U.S. Supreme Court in a landmark 2008 decision. Now a man convicted in the 1998 rape of his 8-year-old stepdaughter wants a federal appeals court in New Orleans to uphold a ruling that could lead to his freedom - or a new trial.
- Debate line-up illustrates power of Fox News in GOP campaign Updated: Aug-04-15 6:19 pm
NEW YORK - Iowa and New Hampshire are still on the horizon - but first there's the Fox primary, and the buildup to this week's first Republican presidential debate shows that the influence of Fox News Channel on the GOP selection process is stronger than ever.
- AP News in Brief at 5:58 a.m. EDT Updated: Aug-04-15 6:05 am
Debate stage drama: Republican presidential candidates await top 10 announcement