- Rio Olympic flame visits UN office in Geneva Updated: Apr-29-16 12:56 pm
GENEVA - The Olympic flame for the Rio de Janeiro Games came to the United Nations in Geneva on Friday, where officials said a team of refugee athletes will bring a message of hope for refugees around the world.
- Iran calls on UN to help with US court asset award Updated: Apr-28-16 7:54 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Iran asked the United Nations on Thursday to intervene with the U.S. government over a Supreme Court ruling that allows nearly $2 billion in frozen Iranian assets to be paid to victims of terrorist attacks for which the Middle Eastern country has been blamed.
- Group: Western Sahara war is possible if no vote date set Updated: Apr-26-16 12:08 pm
MADRID - A top member of a group seeking independence for Western Sahara warned Tuesday that war is possible over the disputed territory annexed by Morocco if the U.N. Security Council fails to set a timetable for a vote on self-determination.
- 175 states sign landmark Paris deal on climate change Updated: Apr-22-16 6:08 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The historic agreement on climate change marked a major milestone on Friday with a record 175 countries signing on to it on opening day. But world leaders made clear more action is needed, and quickly, to fight a relentless rise in global temperatures.
- The Latest: US says world closer to key goal on climate deal Updated: Apr-22-16 4:52 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The Latest on the U.N. signing ceremony for the Paris Agreement on climate change (all times local):
- Paris climate agreement on track for early start Updated: Apr-21-16 12:51 pm
UNITED NATIONS - As many as 170 countries are expected to sign the Paris Agreement on climate change Friday in a symbolic triumph for a landmark deal that once seemed unlikely but now appears on track to enter into force years ahead of schedule.
- Argentine foreign minister questioned on being next UN chief Updated: Apr-20-16 7:51 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Argentina's Foreign Minister Susanna Malcorra said Wednesday that whether she is nominated as a candidate to be the next secretary-general of the United Nations "is in the hands of my president."
- The Latest: UN Security Council condemns Taliban attack Updated: Apr-19-16 7:57 pm
KABUL, Afghanistan - The Latest on the militant assault on an Afghan government security compound in Kabul (all times local):
- Dutch king formally opens new ICC headquarters Updated: Apr-19-16 12:00 pm
THE HAGUE, Netherlands - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has used the official opening of the International Criminal Court's new headquarters to renew calls for more countries to join the world's first permanent criminal tribunal and cooperate in its investigations.
- UN: Moroccan peacekeeper killed in Central African Republic Updated: Apr-18-16 1:57 pm
BANGUI, Central African Republic - The U.N. says a Moroccan peacekeeper has been killed by unknown gunmen in Central African Republic.
- 3 detained Gambia opposition members dead, says UN Updated: Apr-17-16 1:12 pm
DAKAR, Senegal - Three Gambian opposition party members have died in detention following a demonstration earlier this week calling for electoral reforms in the tiny West African nation, the United Nations said Sunday.
- Senators express disgust over sex crimes by UN peacekeepers Updated: Apr-13-16 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans and Democrats on Wednesday decried an epidemic of sex crimes committed by United Nations peacekeepers and called on the State Department to act more urgently to end the abuse by cutting off foreign aid to countries that won't hold their troops accountable.
- UN: Over 130 countries will sign climate agreement April 22 Updated: Apr-07-16 3:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A record number of more than 130 countries will sign the landmark agreement to tackle climate change at a ceremony at U.N. headquarters on April 22, the United Nations said Thursday.
- Ex-New Zealand leader Clark announces bid for top UN post Updated: Apr-05-16 12:19 am
WELLINGTON, New Zealand - Helen Clark, a former New Zealand prime minister who is now a senior U.N. official, announced Tuesday she is running for the top position at the United Nations, saying she would bring nearly 30 years of leadership skills to the job of secretary-general in a world of increasing challenges.
- Bond actor calls for more funding for UN anti-mine agency Updated: Apr-04-16 4:53 pm
UNITED NATIONS - British actor Daniel Craig on Monday called for more funding for the U.N. agency that defuses mines and other unexploded ordnance, saying the work it does increases the chances of survival for people and aid workers in conflict zones around the world.
- Audit finds UN deficiencies linked to alleged bribery case Updated: Apr-04-16 4:32 am
UNITED NATIONS - An internal audit has found important deficiencies and lapses in the U.N.'s involvement with two foundations and several non-governmental organizations linked to an alleged bribery case involving former General Assembly president John Ashe.
- Austria claims much of the credit for EU migrant deal Updated: Apr-03-16 7:21 am
VIENNA - Just weeks ago, thousands of migrants a day were streaming into northern Europe. Now the influx has been dramatically crimped and Austria is claiming much of the credit.