- UN chief appeals for resumption of Israeli-Palestinian talks Updated: Jun-02-15 7:44 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon used the 65th anniversary of the U.N. agency that helps Palestinian refugees to appeal Tuesday for an immediate resumption of Israeli-Palestinian peace negotiations and an end to unilateral actions "that erode trust."
- UN chief urges all nations to help end Ebola in West Africa Updated: Jun-02-15 7:15 pm
- German foreign minister visits Gaza Updated: Jun-01-15 1:46 pm
GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip - Germany's foreign minister paid a rare visit to the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip on Monday, calling on Israel to ease a blockade on the territory and urging Hamas prevent rockets from being fired into Israel.
- Quartet Mideast envoy Tony Blair resigns Updated: May-27-15 12:23 pm
JERUSALEM - Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on Wednesday stepped down as the international community's Mideast envoy, officials said, leaving a post that began with great promise but which struggled to deliver dramatic changes in its quest to promote peace between Israel and the Palestinians.
- UN delays Yemen peace talks scheduled to start Thursday Updated: May-26-15 3:43 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A conference aimed at restoring peace to conflict-torn Yemen has been postponed following a request from Yemen's government and other parties for more time to prepare, the U.N. announced Tuesday.
- Cholera infects 3,000 Burundian refugees, UN calls for help Updated: May-22-15 1:27 pm
KAMPALA, Uganda - An outbreak of cholera has infected 3,000 people in a Tanzanian border region where refugees fleeing political unrest in Burundi have massed, the U.N. Refugee Agency said Friday.
- UN chief urges peaceful solution of South China Sea dispute Updated: May-22-15 10:32 am
HANOI, Vietnam - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon called Friday for a peaceful solution to territorial disputes in the South China Sea, where China's increased assertiveness has alarmed its smaller neighbors.
- UN chief to visit inter-Korean factory park in North Korea Updated: May-19-15 8:01 am
SEOUL, South Korea - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday that he will visit an inter-Korean factory park just north of the two Koreas' heavily fortified border, saying he hopes his trip to the last major cooperation project between the rivals helps improve ties.
- UN chief concerned at death sentence for Egypt's Morsi Updated: May-18-15 6:07 pm
- Macedonia charges 30 over weekend battle with militants Updated: May-11-15 3:10 pm
KUMANOVO, Macedonia - Macedonian authorities on Monday jailed 30 people captured in a weekend gun battle in a northern town that left 22 police and suspected ethnic Albanian militants dead, at a time of heightened political tension in the small Balkan country
- UN chief, head of North Korea's parliament met in Moscow Updated: May-11-15 12:44 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A spokesman says the U.N. secretary-general had a brief meeting with the head of North Korea's parliament when both were in Moscow over the weekend.
- Europe marks 70 years since Nazi defeat, end of epochal war Updated: May-08-15 6:35 pm
PARIS - With quiet moments of memory or military pomp, leaders and ordinary citizens across Europe are marking 70 years since the Nazi defeat and the end of a war that ravaged the continent. But the East-West alliance that vanquished Hitler is deeply divided today.
- Poland marks 70th anniversary of end of WWII Updated: May-07-15 7:23 pm
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's president led international commemorations late Thursday and into Friday marking the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, a gathering meant as an alternative celebration to Moscow's Red Square parade this weekend.
- UN confirms Ban will visit Moscow for WW2 Victory Day Updated: May-04-15 3:11 pm