- Russia accuses Turkey of supplying Islamic State extremists Updated: May-25-16 5:42 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Russia has accused Turkey of supplying the Islamic State extremist group with components for improvised explosive devices.
- UN chief calls for restraint amid Congo political tension Updated: May-25-16 4:18 pm
UNITED NATIONS - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is calling on politicians in the Congo to place the interests of their country ahead of their own, amid reports of rising political tension in the African nation.
- Slovak foreign minister Lajcak a candidate for UN's top post Updated: May-25-16 11:06 am
BRATISLAVA, Slovakia - Slovakian Foreign Minister Miroslav Lajcak has become an official candidate for the post of U.N. secretary-general to replace Ban Ki-moon.
- UN laments absence of G-7 from key humanitarian summit Updated: May-24-16 1:46 pm
ISTANBUL, Turkey - U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday criticized the leaders of the world's wealthiest countries for failing to attend a pivotal humanitarian summit in Turkey which culminated with a long list of commitments and question marks over their implementation.
- The Latest: UN says 50,000 civilians in Fallujah at risk Updated: May-23-16 3:03 pm
DAMASCUS, Syria - The Latest on a violent day in the Middle East, with deadly bombings in Syria and Yemen and the start of an Iraqi government offensive to retake the city of Fallujah from the Islamic State group (all times local):
- Hospitals a deadly target in Middle East conflicts Updated: May-23-16 4:03 am
BEIRUT - As one of the few pediatricians remaining in the Syrian city of Aleppo, Dr. Mohammed Wassim Maaz offered hope to tens of thousands of children and their parents trapped in the horror and misery of the five-year civil war. But last month, an airstrike widely believed to have been carried out by the Syrian government destroyed the al Quds hospital where he worked, killing Maaz and dozens of colleagues, patients and other civilians.
- AP Interview: Argentinian FM envisions 'inspirational' UN Updated: May-22-16 2:25 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The latest candidate to enter the race to become the next United Nations secretary-general said Sunday the world body must become more inspirational and geared toward finding ways to tackle emerging new challenges.
- UN chief urges Mideast states to press for Syria transition Updated: May-21-16 4:17 pm
DOHA, Qatar - The United Nations chief used a visit to Qatar on Saturday to call on Middle Eastern countries and world powers to press Syria's warring parties to turn their attention to a political transition in the war-torn nation.
- Argentina president backs Malcorra as candidate for UN chief Updated: May-20-16 4:04 pm
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina - Argentina's president formally nominated Foreign Minister Susana Malcorra on Friday as a candidate for next secretary-general of the United Nations.
- Afghan cyclists present UN chief with peace message Updated: May-20-16 1:46 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Two Afghan cyclists on a round-the-world trip to promote peace presented United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon with a traditional silk embroidered chapan coat on Friday, along with a message saying their countrymen are tired of war and violence.
- UN appoints Mexican diplomat as new climate chief Updated: May-19-16 5:30 am
STOCKHOLM - The United Nations has appointed a Mexican diplomat as the top U.N. official leading the fight against global warming.
- Muslim nations block gay groups from UN Aids conference Updated: May-18-16 7:22 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Major Western nations are protesting a move to block gay and transgender groups from attending a high-level United Nations conference on AIDS.
- UN elects Norway's Solheim to head UN environment agency Updated: May-13-16 1:17 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.N. General Assembly elected Norway's former environment minister Erik Solheim on Friday to head the U.N. environment agency.
- UN envoy warns that Iraq's political crisis helps extremists Updated: May-06-16 5:54 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The top U.N. envoy in Iraq strongly urged the country's political leaders and civil society on Friday to work together to resolve the current political deadlock, warning that the ongoing crisis and chaos are only serving the interests of Islamic State extremists.
- 120 nations accuse US top court of violating law over Iran Updated: May-05-16 7:16 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The 120-nation Nonaligned Movement headed by Iran accused the U.S. Supreme Court on Thursday of violating international law by ruling that nearly $2 billion in frozen Iranian assets can be paid to victims of attacks linked to the country.
- Candidate for next UN chief asks to meet Security Council Updated: May-05-16 2:34 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Croatia's former foreign minister, who is campaigning to be the next secretary-general of the United Nations, said she has asked to meet members of the U.N. Security Council who will make the final decision.
- Doctors Without Borders pulls out of UN humanitarian summit Updated: May-05-16 2:02 pm
PARIS - The international medical aid agency Doctors Without Borders has pulled out of the first U.N. humanitarian summit, saying the meeting won't address the growing needs caused by war and violence across the world because of its non-binding nature.
- Global, local leaders vow hard work against temperature rise Updated: May-05-16 1:14 pm
WASHINGTON - International leaders and local officials on Thursday pledged to work hard to stem the rise of global temperatures by investing in public transportation and electric cars, planting trees and switching to solar energy.
- UN secretary-general to visit DC school Updated: May-05-16 6:12 am
WASHINGTON - The leader of the United Nations will visit a District of Columbia public school while he's in Washington for an international climate conference.
- AP names Fernando Gonzalez deputy news director for LatAm Updated: May-04-16 12:33 pm
MEXICO CITY - Fernando Gonzalez, a veteran video journalist who has spent more than 30 years covering Latin America and the Caribbean, has been named to a new role as The Associated Press' deputy news director for the region.
- Michael Douglas promotes peace and disarmament through art Updated: May-04-16 2:56 am
UNITED NATIONS - Actor Michael Douglas says the winning posters in a global competition to commemorate the first U.N. General Assembly resolution 70 years ago calling for the abolition of nuclear weapons "instantly create a universal message of peace."
- The Latest: UN Security Council to hold meeting on Aleppo Updated: May-03-16 10:02 pm
BEIRUT - The Latest on Syria's civil war and the escalating violence in the contested northern city of Aleppo (all times local):
- UN chief names choices for top UN environments posts Updated: May-03-16 7:58 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The newly-appointed head of the U.N. environment agency said Tuesday he wants to change the organization to relate more to the average person and plans to further engage the private sector to achieve global environmental goals.