- Iran authorities detain former BBC Persian reporter Updated: Feb-04-16 5:41 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranian authorities on Wednesday detained a former BBC Persian service reporter, an Iranian opposition website reported.
- Car-making deals, protests greet Iranian president in Paris Updated: Jan-28-16 3:09 pm
PARIS - France's government welcomed Iranian President Hassan Rouhani on Thursday with promises of a new beginning in an old relationship, starting with investments to boost Iran's flagging economy that has been crippled by decades of sanctions.
- The Latest: France, Iran sign trade deals Updated: Jan-28-16 1:46 pm
PARIS - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- AP Exclusive: Officials say France wants more Iran sanctions Updated: Jan-27-16 4:54 pm
VIENNA - France has asked the European Union to consider new sanctions against Iran over recent missile tests, in a request made shortly after the EU ended sanctions over Iran's nuclear program, officials have told The Associated Press.
- Religion news in brief Updated: Jan-27-16 2:43 pm
Cruz supporters in Iowa take Trump to task
- Italy minister says Iran statue cover-up 'incomprehensible' Updated: Jan-27-16 11:15 am
ROME - Italy's culture minister has criticized as "incomprehensible" the decision to cover up naked statues at a Rome museum where Iranian President Hassan Rouhani was visiting, adding a new twist to the controversy that has dominated Rouhani's deal-making visit to Italy.
- Vatican: Iran must join fight against terrorism Updated: Jan-26-16 3:22 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis held talks with Iran's president at the Vatican Tuesday, calling on Tehran to play a key role in stopping the spread of terrorism as Iran tries to improve its image in the global arena following an agreement on its nuclear program.
- Iranian leader gives pope rug, wants Francis to pray for him Updated: Jan-26-16 10:00 am
VATICAN CITY - Iran's president and Pope Francis have exchanged gifts and wishes for hope and prayers after they met privately at the Vatican.
- The Latest: Iran's president, Pope Francis exchange gifts Updated: Jan-26-16 8:52 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Iranian President Hassan Rouhani's visit to Europe (all times local):
- Grandson of Iran's Islamic Republic founder barred from poll Updated: Jan-26-16 7:18 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The grandson of the founder of Iran's Islamic Republic has been barred from running for a top clerical body, his family said Tuesday, as the country prepares for crucial elections next month.
- Amnesty: Dozens of juvenile offenders face death in Iran Updated: Jan-25-16 7:21 pm
DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Dozens of people who were arrested in Iran for crimes committed before they turned 18 remain at risk of the death penalty despite recent reforms, with many having already spent years on death row, according to a report by Amnesty International released Tuesday.
- Iranian president Rouhani begins 4-day European visit Updated: Jan-25-16 4:56 pm
ROME - Italy's premier said Monday that Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, kicking off the first state visit to Europe by an Iranian president in nearly two decades, "can play a fundamental role in the stability" of the Middle East.
- China seeks 'new chapter' with Iran after sanctions end Updated: Jan-23-16 12:52 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Chinese President Xi Jinping said Saturday he hopes to open a "new chapter" in relations with Iran after the lifting of international sanctions under a historic nuclear deal, as he paid the first visit by a Chinese leader to the Islamic Republic in 14 years.
- Pakistan offers to host Saudi-Iran reconciliation talks Updated: Jan-19-16 2:38 pm
ISLAMABAD - Pakistan's prime minister offered Tuesday to host talks between Iran and Saudi Arabia aimed at resolving disputes between the Middle Eastern rivals.
- Iran moves assets, awaits benefits as sanctions are lifted Updated: Jan-19-16 10:25 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran successfully transferred some of the billions of dollars' worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of the nuclear deal with world powers, the head of the country's central bank said Tuesday. But ordinary Iranians are still waiting to see how their daily lives will improve and how fast Iranian companies will gain access to financial markets worldwide.
- Iran's top leader expresses 'pessimism' after nuclear deal Updated: Jan-19-16 6:40 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's top leader on Tuesday called for vigilance in ensuring that world powers meet their commitments under a newly implemented nuclear deal while expressing "pessimism" about U.S. intentions, state media reported.
- The Latest: Massachusetts man freed from Iran returns home Updated: Jan-18-16 12:16 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The latest developments as Iran and world powers implement a landmark deal reached last year to curb Iran's nuclear activities in exchange for the lifting of international sanctions (all times local).
- Rouhani: All happy about deal except Israel, US hard-liners Updated: Jan-17-16 12:02 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that the official implementation of the landmark deal reached between Tehran and six world powers has satisfied all parties except radical extremists.
- Rouhani: All happy about deal except Israel, US hard-liners Updated: Jan-17-16 6:12 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's President Hassan Rouhani said Sunday that the official implementation of the landmark nuclear deal has satisfied all parties except radical extremists, while Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu pledged that Israel would remain vigilant to ensure that Iran was not violating its commitments.
- Iran warmly welcomes sanctions' end, though long thaw ahead Updated: Jan-16-16 6:32 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - The announcement on Saturday that Iran had satisfied its obligations under a nuclear deal with world powers was expected to pave the way for a new economic reality in the Islamic Republic, free from years of harsh international economic sanctions.
- Iran holds mass protests against Saudi Arabia amid tensions Updated: Jan-08-16 2:59 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Iranians held mass protests on Friday across the Islamic Republic, angered by Saudi Arabia's execution of a Shiite cleric that has enflamed regional tensions between the Mideast rivals.