- First plane carrying dead from hajj disaster arrives in Iran Updated: Oct-03-15 8:26 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The first plane carrying bodies of Iranian pilgrims killed in the hajj stampede in Saudi Arabia arrived in Tehran Saturday, nine days after the disaster that escalated tensions between the two regional rivals.
- Iran tycoon stands trial on corruption charges Updated: Oct-03-15 7:16 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran's state TV says the trial has begun for a well-known tycoon charged with corruption, fraud and money laundering.
- Saudi hajj disaster toll rises higher with Iran's 465 dead Updated: Oct-02-15 12:48 am
TEHRAN, Iran - The death toll in the Saudi hajj disaster rose sharply Thursday as Iran announced 465 of its pilgrims died in last week's stampede and crush, nearly doubling its earlier count and likely further straining relations between the two Mideast rivals.
- Obama, Iran foreign minister shook hands at luncheon Updated: Sep-29-15 9:08 am
TEHRAN, Iran - President Barack Obama and Iran's foreign minister shook hands when they ran into one another on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly in New York.
- Iranian-Americans rally near United Nations Updated: Sep-28-15 7:45 pm
NEW YORK - Iranian-American protesters said Monday that the country's current regime has executed about 2,000 dissidents in less than two years, making human rights a key issue in U.S.-Iran relations.
- News Guide: A look at the UN General Assembly Updated: Sep-28-15 8:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The annual U.N. General Assembly ministerial meeting is always a major event, but this year's is extraordinary. It could bring a record number of world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, who hasn't attended in years. Most of the attention will be on Putin and President Barack Obama who will have their own separate meeting in New York at a time of tensions over Russia's military involvement in Syria.
- US acts to open dialogue with Iran about Syria, Yemen crises Updated: Sep-26-15 12:37 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The U.S. took steps Saturday to open a dialogue with Iran and others about the crises in Syria and Yemen.
- Rouhani, meeting editors, hopes for better US relations Updated: Sep-25-15 4:57 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is holding out the possibility for improved relations with the United States if the international nuclear deal that has caused controversy in both the U.S. and Iran gets fully implemented later this year.
- Interview: UN nuke chief pushback against Iran probe critics Updated: Sep-24-15 8:10 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The head of the U.N. nuclear agency pushed back on Thursday against critics questioning the wisdom of letting Iranian experts take samples meant to help determine whether their own country clandestinely worked in the past on atomic arms, saying he is convinced the process was faultless.
- UN: Record 154 heads of state, government set for gathering Updated: Sep-17-15 1:57 pm
UNITED NATIONS - A U.N. spokesman says a record 154 heads of state or government are expected to attend the gathering this month that begins the day of Pope Francis' first-ever address to the General Assembly.
- Iran Parliament speaker expects heated debate on nuke deal Updated: Sep-03-15 3:48 pm
UNITED NATIONS - Iran's Parliament speaker said Thursday he expects a heated debate among Iranian lawmakers before they vote on the nuclear deal between his country and six world powers in about a month.