- Ex-NY Speaker balks at reporting income, cites federal probe Updated: Jul-03-15 12:32 pm
ALBANY, New York - Former New York Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver is declining to report his outside income on a state disclosure form, citing federal charges that he collected nearly $4 million in kickbacks.
- NY legislators score tax breaks, rent controls in overtime Updated: Jun-27-15 10:08 am
ALBANY, New York - As the 2015 legislative session ended in overtime last week, many New York lawmakers claimed at least partial victory for their constituents with rent controls and property tax breaks.
- Arrests, leadership changes mean hard year for lawmakers Updated: Jun-20-15 2:13 pm
ALBANY, New York - For decades, it was the way Albany did business: The governor and the two legislative bosses gathered behind closed doors to hammer out deals affecting millions of New Yorkers.
- NY lawmakers OK 5-day rent extension so talks can continue Updated: Jun-18-15 11:40 pm
ALBANY, New York - In a bid to buy time, New York lawmakers approved a five-day renewal of New York City's now-expired rent regulations Thursday night so Gov. Andrew Cuomo and top lawmakers can continue negotiating a longer-term extension.
- US to judge: Uphold charges against ex-NY assembly speaker Updated: Jun-12-15 7:46 pm
NEW YORK - Prosecutors urged a judge Friday to reject former New York state Assembly Speaker Sheldon Silver's bid to throw out an indictment accusing him of using the powerful legislative post to collect $4 million in kickbacks.