- Timing is everything: Obama's budget same day as NH primary Updated: Feb-08-16 11:38 am
WASHINGTON - The main thing to know about President Barack Obama's final, $4 trillion budget is that it comes on the same day as the New Hampshire primary, ensuring it gets minimal attention with all the focus on the White House contenders.
- US struggling to build anti-Islamic State strategy in Libya Updated: Feb-04-16 4:29 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration is struggling to find the right mix of military and diplomatic moves to stop the Islamic State in Libya, where the extremist group has taken advantage of the political chaos in the country to gain a foothold with worrying implications for the U.S. and Europe - particularly Italy, just 300 miles away.
- Obama visits US mosque, says impression of Muslims distorted Updated: Feb-03-16 3:25 pm
CATONSVILLE, Maryland - President Barack Obama sought Wednesday to correct what he called a "hugely distorted impression" of Muslim-Americans as he made his first visit to a U.S. mosque. He said those who demonize all Muslims for the acts of a few are playing into extremists' hands.
- High hopes, wide gulf as Obama, GOP look for common ground Updated: Feb-02-16 6:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Can President Barack Obama and Republicans put aside years of ill will to secure a few big breakthroughs in Obama's final year? Don't get your hopes up.
- FBI creates Facebook page in Farsi for case of missing agent Updated: Feb-02-16 2:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The FBI has launched a Facebook page in Farsi to solicit tips on the whereabouts of Robert Levinson, a former FBI agent who went missing in Iran nine years ago.
- The Latest: US looking closely at UK report on Litvinenko Updated: Jan-21-16 2:02 pm
LONDON - The latest developments in the lengthy British public inquiry into the 2006 poisoning death of former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko.
- Obama tours auto show, pledges help for Flint's water crisis Updated: Jan-20-16 8:31 pm
DETROIT - President Barack Obama on Wednesday hailed the revival of the nation's auto industry while acknowledging the water crisis in nearby Flint, Michigan, saying the detection of high levels of lead serve as a reminder that the government can't shortchange basic services.
- High court could give Obama his final chance on immigration Updated: Jan-20-16 4:07 am
WASHINGTON - After seven years, 2 million-plus deportations, two executive actions and 720,000 "Dreamers," the bottom line on President Barack Obama's immigration record still remains an open question for many immigrants and their advocates.
- The Latest: Obama pledges federal support for Flint Updated: Jan-19-16 7:36 pm
LANSING, Michigan - The latest on the Gov. Rick Snyder's annual State of the State speech, which was devoted mostly to Flint's drinking water crisis (all times local):
- White House says Levinson may no longer be in Iran Updated: Jan-19-16 2:52 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. officials believe Robert Levinson may no longer be in Iran, a White House spokesman said Tuesday, vowing that the U.S. would keep up the search for the former FBI agent who disappeared from an Iranian resort nearly nine years ago.
- White House appoints federal official to lead Flint response Updated: Jan-19-16 2:32 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House is appointing a Health and Human Services Department official to lead federal efforts to help the city of Flint, Michigan, deal with its water crisis.
- Kerry to meet Iranian FM ahead of imminent sanctions relief Updated: Jan-15-16 7:58 pm
WASHINGTON - Amid signs that a decision to provide Iran with billions of dollars in nuclear sanctions relief is imminent, Secretary of State John Kerry will meet Saturday with Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and a top European Union official, the State Department said Friday.
- Obama, Putin call for tough response to North Korea Updated: Jan-13-16 4:21 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Russian President Vladimir Putin joined Wednesday in calling for a tough global response to North Korea's recent nuclear test, even as they remained at odds over Ukraine and Syrian President Bashar Assad.
- Obama greets Jordan's king as planes wait on tarmac Updated: Jan-13-16 1:33 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama and Jordan's King Abdullah II have met informally at Andrews Air Force Base.
- The Latest: Elton John remembers Bowie as 'an amazing life' Updated: Jan-11-16 7:23 pm
LONDON - The latest on the death of singer David Bowie. All times local.
- House votes to strengthen government records law Updated: Jan-11-16 6:14 pm
WASHINGTON - The House approved legislation Monday making it easier to obtain government records, as a new congressional report concluded that the freedom of information process under the Obama administration is broken and in need of serious change.
- Sanders, O'Malley criticize immigration raids at Iowa forum Updated: Jan-09-16 8:44 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - Democratic presidential hopefuls Bernie Sanders and Martin O'Malley used a liberal forum in Iowa on Saturday to rail against holiday-season raids seeking Central American immigrants for deportation.