- Lawmakers say special session likely after budget bill fails Updated: May-28-15 9:47 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Legislators say a special session on the budget appears inevitable after lawmakers couldn't reach a revenue agreement Thursday.
- Bill would cut Board of Education from charter school plan Updated: May-15-15 9:16 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama State Board of Education, having already suffered a sapping of power this legislative session, could soon be cut from confirming the state's new charter school commission.
- Alabama House delays votes on bills related to tax hikes Updated: May-12-15 9:01 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - The Alabama House of Representatives on Tuesday delayed debate on proposed tax increases that have divided some Republican legislators, despite being backed by the GOP caucus.
- Alabama editorial roundup Updated: May-06-15 12:37 pm
Recent editorials from Alabama newspapers:
- House GOP unveils proposal to end state budget shortfall Updated: May-05-15 10:52 pm
MONTGOMERY, Alabama - Alabama House Republicans on Tuesday threw their support behind a proposal to raise taxes while cutting and consolidating state government to solve the state's looming general fund budget crisis.
- Bentley says gambling won't fix budget problems Updated: May-04-15 7:55 pm
DOTHAN, Alabama - Gov. Robert Bentley on Monday said gambling is not the solution to the state's budget woes and will not provide enough money to prevent deep cuts to law enforcement and other state agencies.