- Capitals assistant Reirden a 'future head coach' in the NHL Updated: May-13-16 2:42 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Todd Reirden's road to coaching started as a journeyman defenseman playing in the minors for Todd McLellan's Houston Aeros during the 2004-05 NHL lockout.
- Capitals consider season a 'failure' after second-round exit Updated: May-12-16 4:58 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - Alex Ovechkin looked up at the clock on the scoreboard and knew exactly what he would've been doing if the Washington Capitals were preparing for a Game 7. Instead, he was left to address another early playoff exit that has become an unwelcome rite of spring.
- Penguins heading to Eastern Conference finals with momentum Updated: May-11-16 2:35 am
- Penguins edge Capitals 4-3 in OT to win series in 6 games Updated: May-11-16 1:23 am
- Capitals get playoff payoff from Williams against Penguins Updated: May-08-16 2:46 pm
WASHINGTON - When the Los Angeles Kings blew two chances to win the Stanley Cup in 2012, the pressure was on going into Game 6 back at home. Justin Williams gave a pregame speech that defenseman Drew Doughty said he'll never forget.
- Ovechkin a force as Capitals beat Penguins to stay alive Updated: May-07-16 11:22 pm
WASHINGTON - Alex Ovechkin's teammates watched him turn his game up to a whole new level. Then the Washington Capitals followed him all the way to Game 6.
- Sacrificing body to block shots crucial in NHL playoffs Updated: May-06-16 2:52 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - The only good thing about taking a puck to the head from the man with the NHL's hardest shot is just how fast it happens.
- Trotz, Ruff, Gallant are Jack Adams Award finalists Updated: May-05-16 7:51 pm
NEW YORK - Washington's Barry Trotz, Dallas' Lindy Ruff and Florida's Gerard Gallant are the finalists for the Jack Adams Award as the NHL coach who has "contributed the most to his team's success."
- Lesser names hogging spotlight for Penguins, Capitals Updated: May-05-16 5:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - The well-traveled defenseman filling in for his team's most indispensable player scored the first goal. The seemingly ageless center closing in on his 40th birthday scored the second. And the winger who makes a living trying to create space for Pittsburgh captain Sidney Crosby delivered the overtime winner that brought the Penguins within one victory of a spot in the Eastern Conference finals.
- Rookie goaltender Murray stealing the show for Penguins Updated: May-03-16 6:39 pm
PITTSBURGH - Matt Murray isn't in the mood to think about what it all means, this ride that he's on. The NHL's best team on the other side of the ice. His mentor watching from bench. An arena chanting his name.
- Penguins defenseman Letang suspended 1 game for interference Updated: May-03-16 5:49 pm
NEW YORK - The Penguins will be without Kris Letang for Game 4 against Washington after the NHL suspended him one game Tuesday after interfering with Washington's Marcus Johansson early in Pittsburgh's 3-2 win over the Capitals on Monday night.
- Capitals defenseman Orpik thinks 3-game suspension is fair Updated: May-02-16 2:11 pm
PITTSBURGH - Brooks Orpik was trying to be physical. Yet the instant the Washington Capitals defenseman made contact with Pittsburgh defenseman Olli Maatta's head early in Game 2 on Saturday night, Orpik knew he had crossed a sometimes vague line between aggressive and illegal.
- Caps' Tom Wilson fined $2,400 for knee hit to Pens' Sheary Updated: Apr-29-16 2:51 pm
ARLINGTON, Virginia - The NHL fined Capitals forward Tom Wilson $2,404 on Friday for his knee-on-knee hit on Pittsburgh's Conor Sheary, sparing him a suspension that could have altered the second-round playoff series against the Penguins.