- Senate leader: Not enough votes to defund Planned Parenthood Updated: Sep-01-15 5:51 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate's top Republican is conceding that his party will have to await the next president before it can cut off federal funds that go to Planned Parenthood, prompting heated rebuffs from conservatives.
- A look at where Senate Democrats stand on the Iran deal Updated: Sep-01-15 2:31 pm
Congress will vote this month on a resolution to disapprove of the White House-backed nuclear deal struck with Iran by the U.S., Russia, China, Britain, France and Germany. The deal aims to dismantle Iran's nuclear capabilities in exchange for billions in international sanctions relief.
- Illinois' Durbin gets a shot at political redemption Updated: Aug-29-15 9:53 am
WASHINGTON - For all its fraught politics and geopolitical import, the Iran nuclear agreement offers something very personal for Sen. Dick Durbin of Illinois: a chance at political redemption.
- Ex-Energy Secretary Richardson: Keep MOX project going Updated: Aug-28-15 1:11 pm
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - Former U.S. Energy Secretary Bill Richardson wants the Obama administration to keep alive a South Carolina project to turn weapons-grade materials into commercial nuclear reactor fuel.
- Ex-Energy Secretary Richardson: Keep MOX project going Updated: Aug-28-15 11:16 am
COLUMBIA, South Carolina - A former U.S. Energy Secretary wants the U.S. Senate's top Democrat to push the Obama administration to keep alive a South Carolina project to turn weapons-grade materials into commercial nuclear reactor fuel.
- White House: Obama's 'crazies' reference a 'little too flip' Updated: Aug-25-15 3:56 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama's reference to "the crazies" in Congress may have been "a little too flip" and was not about Iran.
- Cotton: Iran agreement could spark second 'nuclear age' Updated: Aug-25-15 1:01 pm
LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Republican U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton said Tuesday that he thinks an agreement aimed at dismantling Iran's nuclear program could instead create a "second nuclear age" that would threaten the United States and its allies.
- Solar, wind power draw Obama support at Vegas energy summit Updated: Aug-24-15 9:46 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama brought presidential star power to tout the benefits of solar electricity in Western states during an annual green power conference Monday in Las Vegas hosted by U.S. Sen. Harry Reid.
- President Obama lands in Vegas for energy summit, fundraiser Updated: Aug-24-15 9:23 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama is visiting the home of Las Vegas Sun publisher Brian Greenspun for a Democratic party fundraiser following remarks at the National Clean Energy Summit.
- Iran deal picks up support following Reid's endorsement Updated: Aug-24-15 11:48 am
WASHINGTON - With Senate Democratic leader Harry Reid on board, the nuclear agreement between Iran and six world powers is picking up momentum to survive fierce opposition from Republican and Israeli opponents.
- Kansas Democratic chairman resigns after rebranding remark Updated: Aug-21-15 2:02 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - The chairman of the Kansas Democratic Party resigned Friday amid a backlash over comments he made about rebranding the state party's message to emphasize it is more conservative than the national party.
- Reid: 'I will do everything I can' to stop Nevada tax repeal Updated: Aug-20-15 8:10 pm
RENO, Nevada - Sen. Harry Reid said he's willing to do everything he can to help Gov. Brian Sandoval's $1.1 billion tax package survive a potential challenge at the ballot, even though he's not actively involved in the fight now.
- Regulators issuing draft report on Nevada nuclear dump plan Updated: Aug-14-15 5:56 pm
LAS VEGAS - A key study in a series leading to licensing hearings for the long-stalled Yucca Mountain national nuclear waste dump in Nevada finds what the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is calling a small chance that radioactive contamination could get into the environment.
- Obama to co-host fundraiser for Senate hopeful Cortez Masto Updated: Aug-06-15 1:18 pm
LAS VEGAS - President Barack Obama is co-hosting a fundraiser in Las Vegas for Democratic Senate candidate Catherine Cortez Masto.
- New veterans clinic in Pahrump gets $12.1 million federal OK Updated: Aug-05-15 6:49 pm
LAS VEGAS - Veterans in Pahrump, Nevada are getting a long-sought larger outpatient clinic now that a federal construction contract has been awarded a year after a plan was approved.
- Officials calling Nevada solar future bright under EPA rules Updated: Aug-03-15 6:06 pm
LAS VEGAS - Several Nevada government and business leaders said Monday they see a bright future for renewable energy projects in the state under federal rules tightening pollution controls for greenhouse gas emissions from existing power plants.
- 5 things about Congress' fight over Planned Parenthood Updated: Aug-02-15 8:47 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans will likely lose Monday's Senate showdown over halting federal aid to Planned Parenthood. Yet the political offensive by abortion foes has just started, prompted by a batch of unsettling videos that has focused attention on the group's little-noticed practice of providing fetal tissue to researchers.