- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- CAPITOL HILL BUZZ: Boehner says golf with Obama is a game Updated: Jul-29-15 1:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Speaker John Boehner has a message for everyone wondering what happens when he plays golf with President Barack Obama: It's just a game.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Seating will be limited for papal address Updated: Jul-28-15 8:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Seats on the floor of the House chamber are not for everybody. But when Pope Francis addresses Congress this fall, they're going to be even harder to get than usual - and this means you, former senators and representatives.
- NY Gov. Cuomo burnishes labor ties at Lake George events Updated: Jul-28-15 2:55 pm
BOLTON LANDING, New York - New York's governor has travelled to Lake George to address two meetings of labor unions and tout investments in big construction projects like the new Tappan Zee Bridge and a plan to rebuild LaGuardia Airport.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 11:29 pm
NEW YORK - A year after comparing New York's LaGuardia Airport to "some Third World Country," Vice President Joe Biden helped unveil an ambitious plan Monday to rebuild its collection of aging terminals into a modern, unified hub while easing congestion by doubling the space available for planes to operate.
- NY wins $600 million hub for photonics research, development Updated: Jul-27-15 5:12 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - Rochester, whose fortunes have risen and fallen with the demand for futuristic technologies from former powerhouses like Xerox and Kodak, is looking for its next big breakthrough in the field of integrated photonics, a light science with the potential to transform communications, medicine and national defense.
- New York Gov. Cuomo announces new LaGuardia Airport Updated: Jul-27-15 4:55 pm
NEW YORK - Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Monday introduced a plan to redesign and rebuild LaGuardia airport, replacing the cramped, outdated hub with a unified terminal that will have more than double the operational space for airliners.
- State of the Race: The campaign for Pennsylvania's US seat Updated: Jul-26-15 10:49 am
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - Democrats can expect to decide a primary contest in nine months to see who will challenge U.S. Sen. Pat Toomey, a Republican who is seeking his second six-year term in the 2016 election. The seat is expected to be crucial to determining control of the U.S. Senate, and Democrats hope their four-to-three registration advantage in Pennsylvania and heightened voter interest in the presidential election will deliver a victory to their eventual nominee. Here is a look at the race and the candidates:
- Higher minimum-wage proposals gain ground on both coasts Updated: Jul-22-15 11:29 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - The push for a higher minimum wage gained momentum on both sides of the country Wednesday, with New York embracing an eventual $15 an hour for the state's 200,000 fast-food workers and the huge University of California system announcing the same raise for its employees.
- Los Angeles County pushes $15 minimum wage for some workers Updated: Jul-21-15 8:07 pm
LOS ANGELES - Los Angeles County on Tuesday became the latest area in the country to take a step toward lifting the minimum wage to $15 an hour after officials were told it would either kill business or help lift bread-winners out of poverty.
- Obama marks 25th anniversary of federal disability act Updated: Jul-20-15 9:06 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama on Monday celebrated the 25th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act, which he said has ushered in a "bright new era of equality, freedom and independence" for millions of Americans.
- Ruff-and-tumble: VP Biden bruised after playing with his dog Updated: Jul-20-15 8:20 pm
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden is on the mend from a minor bruise after a little canine roughhousing.
- Obama praises Nigerian leader for pursuing safety, security Updated: Jul-20-15 4:28 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama welcomed Nigeria's new president to the Oval Office on Monday and praised him for working to bring "safety, security and peace" to a nation challenged by economic strains, a history of corruption and violence unleashed by the Islamic extremist group Boko Haram.
- High-stakes lobbying on Iran deal; pressure for Congress Updated: Jul-19-15 2:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Israel's ambassador to the United States raced in and out of offices on Capitol Hill, trying to persuade lawmakers that the nuclear deal with Iran is a historic mistake.
- Race the clock: Key Democrats size up Obama's Iran deal Updated: Jul-17-15 3:20 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic lawmakers say they're going to make those 60 days count.
- White House seeks support at home and abroad for Iran deal Updated: Jul-16-15 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - At home and abroad, the White House courted support for a landmark nuclear deal with Iran on Thursday as congressional leaders in both parties pointed toward a politically charged showdown this fall over Republican attempts to scuttle the agreement.
- House Dem leader Pelosi backs Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-16-15 11:26 am
WASHINGTON - House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi said Thursday the nuclear deal negotiated by the United States, Iran and Western powers "will have my strong support."
- The Latest: Obama: Unlikely that deal benefits militants Updated: Jul-15-15 2:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Here are the latest developments involving the agreement between the United States, Iran and world powers to limit the Islamic Republic's nuclear program (all times EDT):
- White House seeking Democrats to support Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Just hours after announcing a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran on Tuesday, the White House launched a robust lobbying campaign to persuade skeptical Democrats in Congress to approve the deal.
- Obama warns Congress not to stand in way of Iran deal Updated: Jul-14-15 10:28 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama heralded a historic nuclear agreement with Iran Tuesday as an opportunity for the longtime foes to move in a "new direction," while sharply warning Congress that it would be irresponsible to block the accord.
- Biden celebrates same-sex marriage, says more to be done Updated: Jul-09-15 8:52 pm
NEW YORK - As he praised a recent Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage, Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday said more still needs to be done to protect LGBT Americans.
- Jill Biden to promote education, military families in Asia Updated: Jul-09-15 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - Vice President Joe Biden's wife will promote girls' education and supporting military families during a tour of four Asian countries beginning next week.
- Obama hosts Vietnam Communist Party chief at White House Updated: Jul-07-15 5:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Bolstered by new trade negotiating powers from Congress, President Barack Obama held an unprecedented meeting Tuesday with the head of Vietnam's Communist Party as the U.S. pressed ahead to conclude talks on a groundbreaking Asia-Pacific economic pact.
- World Cup moments distanced women from FIFA scandal Updated: Jul-06-15 5:32 pm
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - For a few moments over the past month, the Women's World Cup seemed to push aside the FIFA scandal that is simmering a half planet away.
- Who will make us laugh during upcoming presidential campaign Updated: Jul-06-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - A presidential campaign is beginning without late-night television hosts who helped us laugh through past ones, both a cultural loss and an opportunity for new voices.