- Okla. senators thank Garland for bombing work, oppose vote Updated: Apr-27-16 5:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Oklahoma Republican Sens. Jim Inhofe and James Lankford say they have thanked Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland for his lead role investigating the 1995 bombing at the federal building in Oklahoma City.
- House panel approves bipartisan drug-abuse legislation Updated: Apr-27-16 1:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The House Judiciary Committee took an election-year swipe Wednesday at the nation's growing drug addiction problem, approving federal grants that would bolster state and local efforts against the abuse of opioid painkillers.
- Grayson, Jolly get crowd-sourced questions in debate Updated: Apr-25-16 9:07 pm
ORLANDO, Florida - U.S. Reps. Alan Grayson and David Jolly answered questions Monday about allowing a vote on the U.S. Supreme Court nominee, the financial system, the influence of money on the political system and climate change from actor Mark Ruffalo, as well as regular voters, during a debate in which questions were crowd-sourced.
- Utah senators push for 1 Obama pick but not the other Updated: Apr-22-16 6:36 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - Two U.S. senators from Utah are pushing for the confirmation of President Barack Obama's Utah federal judicial nominee, but they have said they won't attend hearings to consider his Supreme Court pick.
- High court nominee praises lawyers for helping the poor Updated: Apr-21-16 6:39 pm
WASHINGTON - Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland praised lawyers for their work with low-income Washingtonians Thursday in his first public remarks since his nomination last month.
- Planned Parenthood targets Ayotte in first 2016 Senate TV ad Updated: Apr-19-16 12:26 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte is the target of Planned Parenthood's first television ad of the 2016 Senate cycle, a spot hitting New Hampshire's freshman senator for her anti-abortion stance and opposition to holding hearings on President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee.
- Oklahoma City a defining moment in Merrick Garland's career Updated: Apr-18-16 7:47 pm
WASHINGTON - In Judge Merrick Garland's courthouse office in Washington, there's a framed photo of Oklahoma City's Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building after the 1995 bombing that ripped away most of its front. There's also a courtroom artist's sketch from the prosecution of bomber Timothy McVeigh and a medal honoring Garland for his work on the case.
- Sen. Warren meets with Obama Supreme Court nominee Garland Updated: Apr-14-16 6:58 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is calling President Obama's Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland an impressive candidate after meeting with him in her Washington office.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: Republicans want answers on visit to Iran Updated: Apr-13-16 6:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Stop us if you've heard this one. Three guys walk into ... the Iranian Interests Section in Washington.
- King reiterates his support for hearings for Garland Updated: Apr-13-16 5:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Maine Sen. Angus King says he is "more convinced than ever" that the Senate should hold nomination hearings for Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.
- Public wants Senate action on court, but interest is modest Updated: Apr-13-16 3:07 pm
WASHINGTON - Nearly 2 in 3 Americans back Democrats' demands that the Republican-run Senate hold hearings and a vote on President Barack Obama's pick for the Supreme Court. But an Associated Press-GfK poll also suggests that GOP defiance against considering the nominee may not hurt the party much because to many people, the election-year fight is simply not a big deal.
- Republican Kelly Ayotte to meet with Supreme Court nominee Updated: Apr-13-16 12:32 am
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte of New Hampshire is going to be meeting with President Barack Obama's nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Iowa coffee shop menu reflects Grassley meeting with Garland Updated: Apr-12-16 6:03 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - A downtown Des Moines coffee shop is changing its menu to commemorate Sen. Charles Grassley's meeting with U.S. Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland.
- GOP Senate OKs Obama judicial nominee for Tennessee Updated: Apr-11-16 11:28 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led Senate easily confirmed President Barack Obama's pick for a Tennessee federal judgeship on Monday, even as the GOP maintained its blockade against considering Obama's nominee for the Supreme Court vacancy.
- Sotomayor talks about court diversity, mingles with people Updated: Apr-11-16 7:50 pm
PISCATAWAY, New Jersey - U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor on Monday renewed her hope for the court to become more diverse in professional and life experience.
- Ex-American Bar Association chiefs push for vote on Garland Updated: Apr-11-16 6:03 am
WASHINGTON - Fifteen former American Bar Association presidents are joining the push to urge Republicans to consider President Barack Obama's Supreme Court nominee.
- Garland a court moderate who would frustrate both sides Updated: Apr-11-16 3:43 am
President Barack Obama's nominee for the U.S. Supreme Court, Merrick Garland, has been characterized as a moderate who, if confirmed, would nudge his divided colleagues slightly to the left because he would replace conservative stalwart Antonin Scalia.
- Independent Sen. Angus King to meet with Merrick Garland Updated: Apr-11-16 1:04 am
PORTLAND, Maine - Independent Sen. Angus King of Maine will meet this week with President Barack Obama's nominee to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Obama says Democrats are good for American government Updated: Apr-08-16 11:45 pm
SAN FRANCISCO - President Barack Obama on Friday praised Democratic lawmakers for having his back through some politically tough votes and encouraged supporters to help elect more of them in November. "A Democratic Congress is good for America," he said.
- Strickland continues to lag Portman in US Senate money race Updated: Apr-08-16 4:11 pm
COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland continues to lag in cash as he seeks to unseat Republican incumbent Rob Portman in one of the year's most closely watched U.S. Senate contests.
- Kirk tweets picture of Obama thank you for meeting Garland Updated: Apr-07-16 12:31 pm
CHICAGO - U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois has tweeted a photo of a note from President Barack Obama thanking him for meeting with Supreme Court nominee Judge Merrick Garland.
- Justice Sotomayor pleads for students to vote Updated: Apr-07-16 3:13 am
SANTA FE, New Mexico - Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor delivered an impassioned plea to an admiring audience to get involved in politics and legislative elections during a public appearance at a private college perched in the hills of northern New Mexico.
- The Latest: Sotomayor says court getting more complicated Updated: Apr-06-16 10:48 pm
SANTA FE, New Mexico - The Latest on Sonia Sotomayor's visit to a private college in New Mexico (all times local):
- Whitehouse praises Supreme Court nominee Garland Updated: Apr-06-16 8:06 pm
WASHINGTON - U.S. Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse says Supreme Court nominee Merrick Garland is a qualified jurist who should receive a hearing and a vote.
- Nominee Garland smiles, stays quiet while in public view Updated: Apr-06-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - "Cubs or White Sox?"