- Senior Republicans rebuke Cruz over his attacks on McConnell Updated: Jul-26-15 9:21 pm
WASHINGTON - Senior Senate Republicans lined up Sunday to rebuke Texas Republican Sen. Ted Cruz for harshly criticizing Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, an extraordinary display of intraparty division played out live on the Senate floor.
- Ted Cruz goes to Senate floor to call GOP leader a liar Updated: Jul-25-15 5:47 pm
WASHINGTON - In a stunning, public attack on his own party leader, Republican Sen. Ted Cruz accused Majority Leader Mitch McConnell of lying, and said he was no better than his Democratic predecessor and couldn't be trusted.
- Walker announces senior presidential campaign team Updated: Jul-24-15 3:04 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Gov. Scott Walker announced the leaders of his presidential campaign team on Friday, a mixture of longtime, close advisers from Wisconsin, employees of the Republican National Committee and veterans of previous national races.
- Senate GOP setting up 'Obamacare' vote on highway bill Updated: Jul-24-15 10:15 am
WASHINGTON - Senate Republican leaders announced plans Friday to use a must-pass highway bill to try to overturn President Barack Obama's health care law, in the latest GOP assault on "Obamacare."
- The Latest: Kerry says US allies won't back military force Updated: Jul-23-15 1:52 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest in a hearing the Senate Foreign Relations Committee is conducting on the agreement the United States and five other world powers struck this month with Iran to rein in its nuclear weapons program in exchange for relief from economic sanctions (asterisk)(all times local):
- Senate moves forward on 6-year highway, transit bill Updated: Jul-22-15 9:43 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate agreed Wednesday to take up a sweeping transportation bill a little over a week before states will face a cutoff of highway and transit aid in the middle of the summer construction season.
- Chiding Congress, Obama urges fast Ex-Im Bank renewal Updated: Jul-22-15 6:15 pm
WASHINGTON - Chiding Congress in no uncertain terms, President Barack Obama warned Wednesday that American businesses are suffering while the Export-Import Bank lapses, and called on lawmakers to reauthorize the bank within days.
- US Capitol flags lowered in memory of Tennessee victims Updated: Jul-21-15 12:00 pm
WASHINGTON - The flags at the U.S. Capitol were lowered to half-staff on Tuesday to honor the five service members killed in Chattanooga, Tennessee, last week.
- McConnell to attend Fancy Farm picnic Updated: Jul-21-15 4:09 am
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Kentucky - Kentucky Republicans will have their longtime standard-bearer at this year's Fancy Farm picnic.
- Fierce fight looms on Ex-Im Bank as outside groups weigh in Updated: Jul-20-15 5:37 pm
WASHINGTON - Congress is about to decide the fate of an obscure federal agency that has become improbably tangled in presidential politics and Republican Party infighting, and the billionaire Koch Brothers may end up on the losing side.
- McConnell talks up presidential race, mum on governor's race Updated: Jul-20-15 2:59 pm
SHEPHERDSVILLE, Kentucky - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is handicapping next year's presidential race, but the Kentucky Republican didn't mention his home state's pivotal campaign for governor in a speech to a business group.
- Robertson stepping down as Kentucky GOP executive director Updated: Jul-16-15 1:18 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - The Republican Party of Kentucky will have new leadership four months ahead of a pivotal election for governor.
- House passes bill to keep highway aid flowing to states Updated: Jul-15-15 4:26 pm
WASHINGTON - The House passed a bill Wednesday to temporarily shore up funding for transportation programs and prevent a shutdown in highway and transit aid to states at the end of this month. But Senate Republicans are trying to cobble together a longer-term bill that could provide money for several years.
- White House seeking Democrats to support Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Just hours after announcing a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran on Tuesday, the White House launched a robust lobbying campaign to persuade skeptical Democrats in Congress to approve the deal.
- Veto struggle with Congress possible over Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-controlled Congress can't block the complex nuclear agreement the Obama administration announced with Iran on Tuesday, but a veto struggle is a virtual certainty as lawmakers try to undermine the deal by insisting that numerous sanctions remain in place.
- Myanmar opposition to run in November polls despite doubts Updated: Jul-11-15 8:52 am
NAYPYITAW, Myanmar - The Myanmar opposition party led by Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi announced Saturday it will contest the general election on Nov. 8 despite misgivings about transparency, in an effort to challenge the ruling military-backed party.
- House GOP working to extend highway funding to end of year Updated: Jul-10-15 3:37 pm
WASHINGTON - With money for roads and bridges running out, House Republicans are working on a package to extend highway funding through the end of the year, a top GOP congressman said Friday.
- Bipartisan plan would overhaul business taxes, fund highways Updated: Jul-08-15 6:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Senators unveiled a bipartisan framework Wednesday aimed at making business taxes more competitive while generating much-needed funding to repair the nation's roads and bridges.
- Pentagon, lawmakers mark Vietnam War at Capitol ceremony Updated: Jul-08-15 6:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter and congressional leaders thanked Vietnam War veterans for their service and presented pins to dozens of veterans at a Capitol ceremony Wednesday that marked 50 years since U.S. ground troops arrived in Vietnam.
- Piano-playing senator's latest tune: New education policy Updated: Jul-06-15 4:09 am
WASHINGTON - How does a musician-senator fill the time during yet another partisan Senate stalemate?
- Jackley, other AGs send religious liberty letter to Congress Updated: Jul-03-15 6:06 pm
PIERRE, South Dakota - As same-sex couples begin to marry in South Dakota, Attorney General Marty Jackley wants to make sure the religious liberties of citizens who object to gay marriages are protected, the state's top law enforcement official said.
- McConnell: Senate unlikely to confirm ambassador to Cuba Updated: Jul-02-15 5:28 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the Republican majority is unlikely to confirm an ambassador to Cuba as the United States prepares to re-open its embassy in the communist country after more than 50 years of hostile relations.
- Federal Export-Import Bank set for midnight expiration Updated: Jun-30-15 7:19 pm
WASHINGTON - Conservatives cheered the demise of the federal Export-Import Bank Tuesday and vowed to beat back efforts to revive it, even as business leaders and the White House issued dire warnings that letting the agency expire at midnight would hurt U.S. competitiveness globally.
- Questions and answers about the expiring Export-Import Bank Updated: Jun-30-15 11:58 am
WASHINGTON - The Export-Import Bank expires Tuesday at midnight for the first time since the small federal agency was created during the Depression to help U.S. businesses export their products. Congress failed to renew the bank's charter because of opposition from Republicans who say it amounts to corporate welfare. However, the shutdown may end up being only temporary.
- After mercury ruling, scrutiny of Obama climate rules grows Updated: Jun-30-15 7:59 am
WASHINGTON - Sweeping pollution limits at the center of President Barack Obama's climate change plan are facing increased scrutiny in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling that showed that the justices aren't afraid to thwart perceived overreach by Obama or his Environmental Protection Agency.