- The Latest: Traditional GOP ally blast Trump proposals Updated: Jun-28-16 3:41 pm
WASHINGTON - The Latest on the U.S. presidential campaign. (all times EDT):
- Republican group reserves $6M airtime for Nevada Senate race Updated: Jun-28-16 2:21 pm
LAS VEGAS - A group affiliated with Republican Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has reserved $6 million worth of TV airtime in Nevada ahead of the November elections.
- Super PAC linked to Senate leader reserves air time for fall Updated: Jun-28-16 1:25 pm
WASHINGTON - A super political action committee tied to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has announced its first round of fall TV media ad reservations - including a small buy in Missouri where the GOP incumbent is considered safe.
- Editorial Roundup: Recent editorials in Arkansas newspapers Updated: Jun-28-16 9:05 am
Here are excerpts from recent editorials in Arkansas newspapers:
- Days before deadline, Senate to consider Puerto Rico bill Updated: Jun-27-16 6:34 pm
WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary Jacob Lew is warning of widespread consequences, from layoffs of police officers to a hospital closure, if the Senate fails to act before Friday on a rescue package for debt-stricken Puerto Rico.
- Fiorina campaigns for Rand Paul in Kentucky Senate race Updated: Jun-24-16 10:10 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Carly Fiorina is campaigning for Rand Paul in Kentucky, reuniting the two one-time presidential candidates as part of the Kentucky senator's slow but steady re-election campaign.
- Guns re-emerge as issue in tight Ayotte, Hassan race Updated: Jun-22-16 9:03 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - After the Florida gay nightclub shooting that left 49 people dead, guns are once again emerging as an issue in New Hampshire's U.S. Senate race between Republican Sen. Kelly Ayotte and Democratic Gov. Maggie Hassan.
- Senate Dem leader Reid now backs proposed gun compromise Updated: Jun-22-16 5:55 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid is now backing a compromise gun control bill by a moderate Republican senator that's supported by a handful of lawmakers from both parties.
- Kentucky governor outlines Medicaid overhaul Updated: Jun-22-16 4:09 pm
FRANKFORT, Kentucky - Most of the 1.2 million Kentuckians who have health insurance through the state's Medicaid program would have fewer benefits and pay monthly premiums to keep their coverage under a proposal Republican Gov. Matt Bevin released Wednesday.
- Senate blocks access to online data without warrant Updated: Jun-22-16 2:07 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate on Wednesday blocked an expansion of the government's power to investigate suspected terrorists, a victory for civil libertarians and privacy advocates emboldened after a National Security Agency contractor's revelations forced changes in how the communications of Americans are monitored.
- Republican senator seeks bipartisan support for gun deal Updated: Jun-21-16 5:48 pm
WASHINGTON - A moderate Republican senator sought broad bipartisan support Tuesday for a compromise to block gun purchases by some suspected terrorists, a day after the chamber split along party lines to derail far more sweeping proposals.
- Lagging in fundraising, Trump calls on GOP for more support Updated: Jun-21-16 12:01 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump acknowledged Tuesday that he is struggling to rally fellow Republicans as new fundraising reports show him badly lagging Hillary Clinton in campaign cash.
- Trump fires his campaign manager in dramatic shake-up Updated: Jun-20-16 5:57 pm
NEW YORK - Donald Trump abruptly fired campaign manager Corey Lewandowski on Monday in a dramatic shake-up designed to calm panicked Republican leaders and end an internal power struggle plaguing the billionaire businessman's unconventional White House bid.
- Lawmakers seek to lift ban on IVF treatments for veterans Updated: Jun-17-16 3:09 pm
WASHINGTON - Veterans whose injuries have left them unable to conceive children may soon be getting long-sought help as congressional negotiations on legislation funding the Department of Veterans Affairs near a close.
- Congress stalemated on guns despite shooting, filibuster Updated: Jun-16-16 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - The slaughter in Florida and an attention-grabbing filibuster in the Senate did little to break the election-year stalemate in Congress over guns Thursday, with both sides unwilling to budge and Republicans standing firm against any new legislation opposed by the National Rifle Association.
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Jun-15-16 6:01 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in the United States and abroad:
- Some on terror list can buy guns, and Dems try to capitalize Updated: Jun-14-16 5:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Omar Mateen, investigated twice by the FBI, was on the government's terrorist watch list for 10 months before being removed. Yet even had he remained on that listing, it wouldn't have stopped him from buying the firearms he used in Sunday's Orlando shooting rampage.
- With benefits at risk, coal miner union rallies in Kentucky Updated: Jun-14-16 4:55 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - Thousands of retired coal miners rallied Tuesday in Kentucky to call on Congress to protect their benefits as the industry struggles and operators seek bankruptcy protection from debts.
- Dems seek Senate vote on barring guns for terror suspects Updated: Jun-13-16 6:38 pm
WASHINGTON - Democrats will try forcing a Senate vote on a proposal making it harder for suspected terrorists and people on government terror watch lists to buy guns and explosives, they said Monday as Congress moved toward a possible partisan fight following the weekend's mass shooting in Orlando.
- GOP Sen. David Perdue: Pray that Obama's 'days be few' Updated: Jun-10-16 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican senator told conservatives Friday they should pray for President Barack Obama and suggested a biblical passage that says, "Let his days be few."
- Iowa GOP senator suspends party membership to protest Trump Updated: Jun-07-16 7:53 pm
DES MOINES, Iowa - A senior member of the Iowa Senate says he has dropped his Republican Party affiliation in protest of what he calls Donald Trump's "bigotry," in light of the presumptive GOP presidential nominee's comments about a federal court judge's ethnicity.
- Senate GOP drops push to 'defund Obamacare' Updated: Jun-07-16 12:03 pm
WASHINGTON - Republicans controlling the Senate are abandoning an effort to use their power over the federal purse strings to block implementation of the Affordable Care Act.
- Democratic congressman calls Trump a racist Updated: Jun-06-16 6:06 pm
WASHINGTON - Donald Trump's criticism of a Latino judge overseeing a lawsuit involving Trump University shows that the presumptive Republican nominee for president is a racist, a Democratic congressman said Monday, and he told Trump to take his proposed border wall and "shove it up your ass."
- Tempers likely to soar in summer congressional session Updated: Jun-06-16 4:27 am
WASHINGTON - Both temperatures and tempers are likely to run hot as lawmakers return to Washington for an abbreviated 6-week summertime session featuring a handful of must-do legislation and the roll-out of a House GOP campaign agenda that's a pet priority for House Speaker Paul Ryan.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: McConnell dishes on Obama, conservatives Updated: May-31-16 8:45 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama is condescending. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid veers from friendly in private to nasty before TV cameras. And one of Washington's leading conservatives backstabs fellow Republicans.