- Either way, no more NSA collection of US phone records Updated: Jun-01-15 5:21 pm
WASHINGTON - However Congress resolves its impasse over government surveillance, this much is clear: The National Security Agency will ultimately be out of the business of collecting and storing Americans' calling records.
- GOP attack on water rule part of wider bid to 'rein in' EPA Updated: Jun-01-15 3:31 am
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration says a new federal rule regulating small streams and wetlands will protect the drinking water of more than 117 million people in the country.
- Kentucky GOP embraces Bevin's candidacy at annual dinner Updated: May-30-15 9:29 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - In one year, Matt Bevin has gone from party crasher to party leader.
- Obama: 'Handful of senators' standing in way of Patriot Act Updated: May-29-15 6:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Blaming a "handful of senators" for stalled national security legislation, President Barack Obama said Friday he has told Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell and other senators that he expects them to take action swiftly to extend key Patriot Act provisions.
- Paul claims new momentum ahead of second Senate showdown Updated: May-29-15 4:44 pm
CHICAGO - A confident Rand Paul claimed new momentum Friday in his fight against government surveillance programs, just days ahead of his second Capitol Hill showdown in as many weeks.
- Wisconsin governor: Obama power plant rule 'unworkable' Updated: May-28-15 7:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker, a Republican eyeing a presidential run in 2016, says President Barack Obama's plan to reduce pollution from coal-fired power plants is "unworkable."
- AP News in Brief at 9:58 p.m. EDT Updated: May-26-15 11:06 pm
The Latest on weather: Third body pulled from swollen Blanco River; Texas death toll now 13
- McConnell: 2016 goal is to maintain, not grow, GOP majority Updated: May-26-15 5:27 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Mitch McConnell said Tuesday the chances are "pretty slim" that Republicans will grow their majority in the U.S. Senate in 2016, saying his goal is to preserve the majority for what he hopes will be a Republican president.
- Bevin, McConnell joint appearances will have to wait Updated: May-26-15 4:45 pm
ELIZABETHTOWN, Kentucky - Kentucky Republicans waiting to see U.S. Sen. Mitch McConnell put his arm around his political nemesis Matt Bevin will have to wait a little longer.
- Sen. Mitch McConnell working on memoir Updated: May-26-15 1:22 pm
NEW YORK - Sen. Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, is working on a memoir.
- GOP likely to feel the heat if court decision guts Obamacare Updated: May-26-15 3:16 am
WASHINGTON - A Supreme Court ruling due in a few weeks could wipe out health insurance for millions of people covered by President Barack Obama's health care law. But it's Republicans - not White House officials - who have been talking about damage control.
- Senate clears White House-backed trade bill Updated: May-23-15 4:33 am
WASHINGTON - In a victory for President Barack Obama, the Senate passed bipartisan legislation Friday night to strengthen the administration's hand in global trade talks, clearing the way for a highly unpredictable summer showdown in the House.
- Senators sing blues over impasse; GOP hopefuls stuck in DC Updated: May-22-15 10:13 pm
WASHINGTON - Two senators have a plane to catch to Cuba, others were hoping to impress Republican presidential primary voters and then there's Sen. Lamar Alexander, who is slated to deliver a sunset piano performance of "Ol' Man River" on the banks of the Mississippi.
- Senate Democrats demand more money for Amtrak repair backlog Updated: May-21-15 5:25 pm
WASHINGTON - Senate Democrats on Thursday demanded that Republicans provide more money for Amtrak so the railroad can tackle a $21 billion maintenance and repair backlog, including replacing tunnels more than a century old.
- Obama, Senate GOP work together on trade bill Updated: May-19-15 7:46 pm
WASHINGTON - The Obama administration and Senate Republicans worked in unusual harmony Tuesday to advance major trade legislation opposed by many rank-and-file Democrats, an expanding struggle already leaving a mark on the 2016 campaigns for the White House and control of Congress.
- Grimes wins Democratic nomination for secretary of state Updated: May-19-15 7:06 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - Alison Lundergan Grimes has easily defeated a little-known primary challenger as she seeks a second term as Kentucky's secretary of state.
- Kentucky voters weigh hotly contested GOP governor's primary Updated: May-19-15 7:03 pm
LOUISVILLE, Kentucky - As a bitterly contested Republican primary for governor wound to a close, Kentucky voters headed to the polls Tuesday to sort through the contenders in both parties - and weigh in on some of the allegations that have surfaced on the Republican side.
- Mill Springs conservation being celebrated this weekend Updated: May-19-15 3:59 pm
SOMERSET, Kentucky - The Civil War Trust and the Mill Springs Battlefield Association are making an announcement during a Memorial Day weekend ceremony in south-central Kentucky.
- Hickenlooper rejects GOP call to ignore EPA coal rules Updated: May-19-15 3:35 pm
DENVER - Gov. John Hickenlooper rejected Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's call for states to defy new federal pollution controls on coal-burning power plants, saying Colorado has a long history of protecting its environment - despite its heavy reliance on coal.
- AFL-CIO president: Bad trade deal is worse than no deal Updated: May-18-15 10:20 pm
PORTLAND, Oregon - The head of the largest U.S. trade union federation said Monday that a bad deal is worse than no deal, and he urged Congress not to support fast-track legislation that would let President Barack Obama present Congress with proposed trade agreements that lawmakers can ratify or reject, but not amend.
- Sen. Ayotte highlights drug-exposed newborn legislation Updated: May-18-15 3:41 pm
MANCHESTER, New Hampshire - Medical providers and first responders on Monday urged Sen. Kelly Ayotte to consider further incorporating mental health treatment into her efforts to address New Hampshire's heroin and prescription drug crisis.
- GOP candidates for governor search for votes in last weekend Updated: May-16-15 9:52 pm
FALLS OF ROUGH, Kentucky - Three days before Kentucky's Republican primary for governor, three candidates have a chance to win.
- Ayotte co-sponsoring bill to protect infants from drugs Updated: May-16-15 3:46 pm
CONCORD, New Hampshire - Republican New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte is co-sponsoring a bill that would address a growing number of infants being exposed to opioids while in the womb.
- ABC faces credibility crisis over Stephanopoulos donations Updated: May-15-15 3:24 pm
NEW YORK - George Stephanopoulos apologized to viewers Friday for donating $75,000 to the Clinton Foundation and failing to disclose it earlier, as ABC News now finds its chief anchor in a credibility crisis on the eve of a presidential campaign.
- After Senate failure, Bevin returns with strong primary bid Updated: May-14-15 7:13 pm
LEXINGTON, Kentucky - About this time last year, Matt Bevin had a campaign rally where no one showed up.