- Comic Amy Schumer, Sen. Schumer call for better gun control Updated: Aug-03-15 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Comedian Amy Schumer spoke tearfully of two women who were shot to death during a screening of her movie, "Trainwreck," and asked lawmakers Monday to support a gun control bill sponsored by her second cousin, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer.
- House GOP says it has the votes to disapprove of Iran deal Updated: Aug-03-15 2:34 pm
WASHINGTON - House Republicans said Monday that they have the GOP votes to disapprove of the Iran nuclear deal as Democrats stepped up their support of the agreement the Obama administration and other world powers negotiated with Tehran.
- Monster of a fall awaits Congress after summer break Updated: Jul-31-15 3:20 pm
WASHINGTON - As lawmakers head out of the Capitol for a five-week summer recess, they leave behind a pile of unfinished business that all but guarantees a painful fall.
- NY wins $600 million hub for photonics research, development Updated: Jul-27-15 5:12 pm
ROCHESTER, New York - Rochester, whose fortunes have risen and fallen with the demand for futuristic technologies from former powerhouses like Xerox and Kodak, is looking for its next big breakthrough in the field of integrated photonics, a light science with the potential to transform communications, medicine and national defense.
- 8 people, including NY assemblyman, arrested at Iran protest Updated: Jul-23-15 3:16 pm
NEW YORK - Authorities say eight people, including a state politician, have been arrested at a Manhattan demonstration against the proposed U.S. deal with Iran.
- Iran deal with US brings thousands to Times Square protest Updated: Jul-22-15 11:38 pm
NEW YORK - Thousands of protesters packed into Times Square Wednesday evening to demand that Congress vote down the proposed U.S. deal with Iran.
- High-stakes lobbying on Iran deal; pressure for Congress Updated: Jul-19-15 2:24 pm
WASHINGTON - Israel's ambassador to the United States raced in and out of offices on Capitol Hill, trying to persuade lawmakers that the nuclear deal with Iran is a historic mistake.
- Race the clock: Key Democrats size up Obama's Iran deal Updated: Jul-17-15 3:20 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic lawmakers say they're going to make those 60 days count.
- Sen. Schumer squeezed on Obama's Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-16-15 5:44 pm
WASHINGTON - No sooner had President Barack Obama announced a nuclear deal with Iran than Sen. Chuck Schumer issued a statement pledging to go through it with a fine-tooth comb, talk with administration officials, listen to experts on all sides and carefully study it.
- Yellen: Higher rates won't derail recovery Updated: Jul-16-15 5:23 pm
WASHINGTON - Federal Reserve Chair Janet Yellen sought to reassure worried lawmakers on Thursday that when the Fed begins to raise interest rates, it will be careful not to derail the economy.
- Schumer: Bring WWI hero's Medal of Honor to his NY hometown Updated: Jul-16-15 12:27 pm
ALBANY, New York - The Medal of Honor posthumously awarded last month to a World War I soldier from Albany should be put on public display in his hometown, U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer said Thursday.
- White House seeking Democrats to support Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Just hours after announcing a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran on Tuesday, the White House launched a robust lobbying campaign to persuade skeptical Democrats in Congress to approve the deal.
- Veto struggle with Congress possible over Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-controlled Congress can't block the complex nuclear agreement the Obama administration announced with Iran on Tuesday, but a veto struggle is a virtual certainty as lawmakers try to undermine the deal by insisting that numerous sanctions remain in place.
- Schumer walks into Hollywood, and leaves armed with material Updated: Jul-13-15 10:56 am
NEW YORK - A recurring feeling has accompanied Amy Schumer's rapid ascent in show business.
- House GOP working to extend highway funding to end of year Updated: Jul-10-15 3:37 pm
WASHINGTON - With money for roads and bridges running out, House Republicans are working on a package to extend highway funding through the end of the year, a top GOP congressman said Friday.
- Congress votes to rename post office after NY politician Updated: Jul-09-15 3:24 pm
NEW YORK - Congress has passed a bill to rename a Bronx post office in honor of former New York Congressman Herman Badillo.
- Bipartisan plan would overhaul business taxes, fund highways Updated: Jul-08-15 6:51 pm
WASHINGTON - Senators unveiled a bipartisan framework Wednesday aimed at making business taxes more competitive while generating much-needed funding to repair the nation's roads and bridges.
- NYC City Council Speaker: Washington must help Puerto Rico Updated: Jul-08-15 6:04 pm
NEW YORK - New York City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito, who is arguably becoming one of the nation's most influential Puerto Rican politicians, is urging Congress and the Obama administration to step in and help the island commonwealth struggling under the weight of its debt.
- House GOP opposes bankruptcy protections for Puerto Rico Updated: Jul-08-15 5:36 pm
WASHINGTON - Leading House Republicans declared their opposition Wednesday to allowing debt-ridden Puerto Rico access to Chapter 9 bankruptcy protections, raising new uncertainty about how the island can emerge from its financial crisis.
- Clinton says Puerto Rican economy deserves 'fair shot' Updated: Jul-07-15 4:28 pm
WASHINGTON - Hillary Rodham Clinton on Tuesday said Congress and the Obama administration should help Puerto Rico restructure its debts under a Chapter 9 bankruptcy, saying the island commonwealth needs partners to "get on a path toward stability and prosperity."