- Things to know about Obama's summit with SE Asian leaders Updated: Feb-13-16 3:07 am
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama hosts Southeast Asian leaders at an unprecedented summit in California starting Monday as he looks to deepen ties with the region's fast-growing economies. But a nation not invited - neighboring power China - will be the proverbial elephant in the room as the leaders grapple with sensitive territorial disputes.
- US intel: China to keep building on artificial islands Updated: Feb-09-16 12:15 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. intelligence chief says he expects China to keep building on artificial islands to sustain its "exorbitant" territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.
- Obama, Xi coordinate response to NKorea provocations Updated: Feb-05-16 2:58 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House says President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping (shee jihn-peeng) agree that a planned ballistic missile test by North Korea would be another "provocative and destabilizing" action in violation of multiple U.N. Security Council resolutions.
- Big spending Chinese clubs show global ambitions Updated: Feb-05-16 10:15 am
The European transfer window is not so European any more, with Chinese clubs outspending the continent's richest clubs in January to prove that the country is now a genuine power in attracting the world's best players.
- China governor fired for 'disloyalty' as Xi tightens grip Updated: Feb-05-16 7:15 am
BEIJING - The governor of a major Chinese province has been accused of disloyalty to the ruling Communist Party and removed from his post, amid a growing consolidation of power by President Xi Jinping that some have likened to a personality cult.
- Jackson Martinez to join Chinese side Guangzhou Evergrande Updated: Feb-03-16 1:04 am
BEIJING - Guangzhou Evergrande of the Chinese Super League said Wednesday it has signed Atletico Madrid striker Jackson Martinez for a new record sum in the Asian transfer market.
- Sovereignty, legacy factors in Taiwan leader's island visit Updated: Jan-28-16 7:55 am
TAIPEI, Taiwan - Seeking to assert Taiwan's sovereignty and build his legacy, President Ma Ying-jeou paid a visit Thursday to an even smaller island also claimed by China.
- Kerry presses China on North Korea, South China Sea Updated: Jan-26-16 10:17 pm
BEIJING - U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry called Wednesday for China to do more to rein in North Korea's nuclear activities and decrease tensions over disputed parts of the South China Sea.
- Taiwan stages military drills on island off Chinese coast Updated: Jan-26-16 3:33 am
KINMEN, Taiwan - Taiwan held small-scale military drills on an island it controls just off the Chinese coast Tuesday, in a renewed signal of its determination to defend itself from Chinese threats.
- Longtime rivals: A look at complex Vietnam-China ties Updated: Jan-24-16 8:03 pm
BEIJING - Divided opinions within Vietnam's Communist Party on how to relate to giant neighbor and one-time ally China are among key factors in play at an eight-day congress to choose new leadership. A look at the countries' shared history and some of the most recent ups and downs in relations.
- China seeks 'new chapter' with Iran after sanctions end Updated: Jan-23-16 12:52 pm
TEHRAN, Iran - Chinese President Xi Jinping said Saturday he hopes to open a "new chapter" in relations with Iran after the lifting of international sanctions under a historic nuclear deal, as he paid the first visit by a Chinese leader to the Islamic Republic in 14 years.
- Chinese journalist who defected is missing from Thailand Updated: Jan-22-16 11:33 am
BEIJING - A Chinese journalist who said he was fed up with a life as a government informant and fled China last year has been missing from Thailand since Jan. 11, his wife said Friday, raising concerns he might have been abducted by Chinese agents.
- China's Taiwan office deputy head under investigation Updated: Jan-20-16 5:41 am
BEIJING - A deputy head of the Chinese Cabinet's Taiwan Affairs Office has been placed under investigation for apparent corruption amid renewed scrutiny of Beijing's policies toward the island following its election of a new independence-leaning president.
- Chinese president arrives in Saudi Arabia on Mideast tour Updated: Jan-19-16 3:02 pm
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia - Chinese President Xi Jinping has arrived in Saudi Arabia for a two-day visit as part of a Middle East tour that will include stops in Egypt and Iran.
- Iran moves assets, awaits benefits as sanctions are lifted Updated: Jan-19-16 10:25 am
TEHRAN, Iran - Iran successfully transferred some of the billions of dollars' worth of frozen overseas assets following the implementation of the nuclear deal with world powers, the head of the country's central bank said Tuesday. But ordinary Iranians are still waiting to see how their daily lives will improve and how fast Iranian companies will gain access to financial markets worldwide.
- China says it is in talks with US over businessman who fled Updated: Jan-15-16 6:44 am
BEIJING - China's top anti-corruption agency said Friday it is in talks with the United States over a highly connected businessman who fled China, possibly bearing politically sensitive information.
- Conservationists welcome Hong Kong move to ban ivory trade Updated: Jan-14-16 7:09 am
JOHANNESBURG - A pledge by Hong Kong to ban its ivory trade has been welcomed by conservationists who describe it as a key step toward curbing the slaughter of African elephants.