- Xi to give speech at opening of Paris climate conference Updated: Nov-25-15 1:38 am
BEIJING - President Xi Jinping will speak at a key climate change conference in Paris later this month, before making state visits to South Africa and Zimbabwe, officials announced Wednesday.
- Militant attacks abroad a diplomatic quandary for China's Xi Updated: Nov-25-15 1:01 am
BEIJING - The killings of Chinese citizens by Islamic militants in Syria and Mali place President Xi Jinping in a quandary: How can Beijing respond effectively without betraying its strict stance against intervention?
- China, US promise better protection for business secrets Updated: Nov-24-15 1:18 am
BEIJING - U.S. and Chinese trade envoys on Tuesday promised to work together to protect business secrets and Beijing appeared to give ground in a dispute over proposed technology security rules for its banks.
- Canadian newcomer Trudeau a fresh face among APEC leaders Updated: Nov-19-15 11:23 am
MANILA, Philippines - He's younger than the next youngest leader by six years and nearly a full generation behind the 60-year-old average age of his Pacific Rim peers.
- China strongly condemns Islamic State killing of hostage Updated: Nov-19-15 6:10 am
BEIJING - China's president on Thursday strongly condemned the killing of a Chinese hostage by Islamic State extremists, saying such groups are enemies of mankind.
- APEC leaders: Urgent need to cooperate against terrorism Updated: Nov-19-15 5:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - Asia-Pacific leaders called Thursday for governments to urgently increase cooperation in the fight against terrorism as they wrapped up annual talks haunted by the Paris attacks.
- The Latest: Manila slum near APEC shows poverty challenge Updated: Nov-19-15 4:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Leaders from 21 countries and self-governing territories are in Manila for the Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation summit. The meeting's official agenda is focused on trade, business and economic issues but terrorism, South China Sea disputes and climate change are also in focus. (All times are local.)
- Editorial Roundup: Excerpts from recent editorials Updated: Nov-18-15 6:26 pm
Excerpts from recent editorials in newspapers in the United States and abroad:
- Courting business, Obama presses for climate action in Asia Updated: Nov-18-15 8:49 am
MANILA, Philippines - Aggressive action to fight climate change will be a boon for businesses in Asia and beyond, President Barack Obama is asserting as he reaches for a global climate change agreement he hopes will burnish his environmental legacy.
- Pacific trade pact praised, panned as Obama urges approval Updated: Nov-18-15 7:03 am
MANILA, Philippines - The Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal between the U.S. and 11 other Pacific nations is drawing potential new members from Asia and criticism from those excluded, as it heads for a tough ride in the U.S. Congress.
- Vietnam wants good relations with China, defends sovereignty Updated: Nov-18-15 3:52 am
HANOI, Vietnam - Vietnam's prime minister said Wednesday that the communist country will do its best to develop good relations with China, but at the same time will defend its sovereignty in the disputed South China Sea.
- Obama calls on China to halt land reclamation Updated: Nov-17-15 11:49 pm
MANILA, Philippines - President Barack Obama called on China to halt land reclamation and construction in the disputed South China Sea in his latest show of support for Southeast Asian nations unnerved by China's assertiveness in the region.
- APEC summit tests security in volatile Philippines Updated: Nov-17-15 12:34 am
MANILA, Philippines - Providing security for the leaders of Asia-Pacific nations including the United States and China is a huge undertaking for any country. For the Philippines, which is hosting this year's APEC summit, the challenges are even bigger and are under renewed scrutiny following the Paris attacks.
- Turkey: Soldiers kill 4 suspected militants day before G-20 Updated: Nov-15-15 12:36 am
ISTANBUL - Turkish soldiers killed four suspected Islamic State militants Saturday and authorities detained 11 demonstrators a day before leaders of the G-20 group of economic powerhouses meet for a summit overshadowed by the slaughter in Paris.
- Paris attacks reaction: Nordic governments condemn attacks Updated: Nov-14-15 5:50 am
PARIS - World leaders are reacting to the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. Some of their comments:
- Erdogan hosting world leaders for G-20 after election boost Updated: Nov-13-15 11:50 am
ANKARA, Turkey - As leaders from the world's 20 biggest economies gather for a summit in Turkey, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan will be taking a victory lap.
- The Latest: Suu Kyi's party wins historic majority Updated: Nov-13-15 1:01 am
YANGON, Myanmar - The latest on landmark elections in Myanmar. (All times local.)
- China to Philippines: No sea feud talk at APEC summit Updated: Nov-10-15 2:51 pm
MANILA, Philippines - China's top diplomat asked the Philippines Tuesday not to raise contentious issues - an obvious reference to the Asian neighbors' territorial spats - in an annual economic summit of Asia-Pacific leaders in Manila next week, a Filipino official said.
- China promises action on climate ahead of Paris talks Updated: Nov-09-15 2:56 am
BEIJING - China has changed course and emerged as a leader in curbing greenhouse gas emissions six years after it was accused of obstructing the last high-level climate talks in Copenhagen.
- Analysis: Historic meet realizes hopes for Taiwan, China Updated: Nov-08-15 1:40 am
SINGAPORE - Many thought it might never happen: The presidents of China and Taiwan - inheritors to the Communist and Nationalist regimes that fought a civil war and remained bitter rivals for decades - coming together as equals for talks.
- Presidents of China, Taiwan meet for 1st time, shake hands Updated: Nov-07-15 1:03 pm
SINGAPORE - The leaders of China and Taiwan met Saturday for the first time since the formerly bitter Cold War foes split amid civil war 66 years ago, and though no concrete agreement resulted, both hailed the meeting as a sign of a new stability in relations.
- A China-Taiwan handshake, 66 years in the making Updated: Nov-07-15 11:54 am
It was just a handshake. Just two prosperous-looking men in dark suits walking across a hotel meeting room to say hello.
- Singapore is natural choice for China-Taiwan talks Updated: Nov-07-15 4:57 am
SINGAPORE - If the historic summit this weekend between the leaders of China and Taiwan is laden with symbolism, so is the location, the city-state of Singapore.
- Singapore, China strengthen diplomatic ties with Xi's visit Updated: Nov-06-15 11:25 am
SINGAPORE - Singapore welcomed Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday with a state banquet featuring local favorites, as the two countries pledged to strengthen economic links and cooperation in regional and international affairs.
- Historic China-Taiwan meeting about symbolism, not substance Updated: Nov-06-15 6:44 am
BEIJING - Saturday's first-ever meeting between the presidents of China and Taiwan presents a formidable challenge: How can they ensure the event's place in history when nothing of substance should happen?