- The Latest: Record 150-plus world leaders at UN summit Updated: Oct-03-15 2:03 pm
UNITED NATIONS - The latest developments from the annual meeting of the U.N. General Assembly, where world leaders are grappling with a multitude of global crises, including the fight against terrorism - the Islamic State in particular - and easing the refugee crisis in the Middle East and North Africa (all times local):
- Conservationists rally in South Africa, other countries Updated: Oct-03-15 9:24 am
JOHANNESBURG - A vehicle carrying a rhino sculpture led anti-poaching marchers in Johannesburg on Saturday. Kenya's environment minister joined conservationists at a similar rally in Nairobi, the capital. In London, activists in elephant costumes demanded an end to the ivory trade.
- China holding 2 Japanese citizens on spying allegations Updated: Sep-30-15 10:18 am
TOKYO - China has arrested two Japanese citizens on spying allegations, officials said Wednesday.
- Asia tycoon Li on defensive after attacks from Chinese media Updated: Sep-30-15 6:44 am
HONG KONG - Hong Kong billionaire Li Ka-shing has defended his business strategy against accusations from China's state media that he is abandoning investments in the world's No. 2 economy because of its slowing growth.
- China micromanages Tibet, floods it with money to woo locals Updated: Sep-30-15 4:31 am
LHASA, China - Ji Yunpeng misses hotpot dinners with his wife and daughter back in Beijing and fights insomnia caused by the high altitude in the Tibetan capital by playing computer games, and, occasionally, studying Tibetan Buddhism.
- Obama thanks Secret Service for protecting world leaders Updated: Sep-29-15 3:39 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama praised the Secret Service for a whirlwind week that included protecting Pope Francis, Chinese President Xi Jinping and more than 100 world leaders at U.N. meetings in New York.
- US intel official not optimistic about cyber deal with China Updated: Sep-29-15 12:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The nation's top intelligence official said Tuesday that he's not optimistic that an agreement the U.S. recently struck with China will effectively deter state-sponsored cyberattacks on business emanating from the communist nation.
- Analysis: Xi big-money pledges underpin Chinese diplomacy Updated: Sep-29-15 9:08 am
UNITED NATIONS - Call it checkbook diplomacy, Chinese style.
- US says states pledge 40,000-plus troops to UN peacekeeping Updated: Sep-28-15 8:08 pm
UNITED NATIONS - President Barack Obama on Monday announced notable steps to upgrade U.N peacekeeping, with his administration saying more than 50 countries have pledged to contribute more than 40,000 new troops and police to serve in some of the world's most volatile areas.
- Vietnam leader: China island work violates international law Updated: Sep-28-15 2:28 pm
NEW YORK - Vietnam's president told The Associated Press on Monday that China's island-building in the disputed South China Sea violates international law and endangers maritime security.
- News Guide: A look at the UN General Assembly Updated: Sep-28-15 8:35 am
UNITED NATIONS - The annual U.N. General Assembly ministerial meeting is always a major event, but this year's is extraordinary. It could bring a record number of world leaders, including Russian President Vladimir Putin, who hasn't attended in years. Most of the attention will be on Putin and President Barack Obama who will have their own separate meeting in New York at a time of tensions over Russia's military involvement in Syria.
- October dates set for Chinese president's state visit to UK Updated: Sep-28-15 8:02 am
LONDON - Buckingham Palace officials say the president of China and his wife will make a state visit to Britain from Oct. 20 to Oct. 23.
- Beijing says Clinton 'biased' on Chinese women's issues Updated: Sep-28-15 6:46 am
BEIJING - A Chinese government official said Monday that Hillary Clinton was "biased" on women's issues in China, while a newspaper compared the presidential hopeful to Donald Trump for her tweet saying it was "shameless" for China's president to preside over a U.N. conference on gender equality.
- Modi touts social media, tech development in Facebook visit Updated: Sep-28-15 12:50 am
MENLO PARK, California - Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi touted the power of social media and his own goals for developing India's tech economy on Sunday, speaking to a global audience from a "town hall" meeting at the headquarters of the world's largest social network.
- Leaders pledge money, clout to achieve women's equality Updated: Sep-27-15 10:09 pm
UNITED NATIONS - World leaders pledged money and political clout to achieve equality for women by 2030 at a U.N. meeting Sunday co-chaired by China's President Xi Jinping, who has faced strong criticism for cracking down on women's rights activists.
- Tracing China's long, convoluted relationship with the UN Updated: Sep-26-15 2:13 pm
UNITED NATIONS - China's President Xi Jinping is poised to address the U.N. General Assembly for the first time on Monday. Here are some milestones in China's long, convoluted relationship with the world body:
- Analysis: US-China agreement on cybertheft a first step Updated: Sep-26-15 8:49 am
WASHINGTON - China's pledge to help crack down on hackers who steal commercial secrets from the United States, even coming as it did amid a bit of arm-twisting by President Barack Obama, is a big breakthrough that could reduce U.S.-China tensions and end huge losses for American companies.
- More business buzz than Hollywood vibe at China state dinner Updated: Sep-26-15 6:11 am
WASHINGTON - Dinner is supposed to be a chance to unwind after a tough day at the office, but the extravagant dinner that President Barack Obama put on in honor of Chinese President Xi Jinping served up plenty of opportunities to keep the business talk going well into the night.
- Michelle Obama chooses Vera Wang gown for China State Dinner Updated: Sep-26-15 3:23 am
WASHINGTON - First lady Michelle Obama chose a dress by a Chinese-American designer for Friday's White House dinner for Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- The Latest: Hollywood and big business meet at China dinner Updated: Sep-25-15 6:44 pm
WASHINGTON - The latest developments from the state visit that President Barack Obama is hosting for Chinese President Xi Jinping. All times local:
- Maine lobster on menu at White House state dinner Updated: Sep-25-15 4:42 pm
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Maine lobster is on the menu when President Barack Obama welcomes Chinese President Xi Jinping at a White House state dinner.
- Obama, China's Xi agree to curb economic cyberspying Updated: Sep-25-15 4:14 pm
WASHINGTON - Skeptical of Chinese assurances on cyberspying, President Barack Obama on Friday laid out a fresh threat of sanctions for economic espionage emanating from China, even as he and President Xi Jinping pledged their countries would not conduct or support such hacking.
- How China is watching Xi's trip to US Updated: Sep-25-15 4:19 am
BEIJING - As state media reports have it, China's President Xi Jinping is dispelling all concerns about cyberhacking, the economy and the South China Sea during his U.S. trip, and relations between the two countries have never been rosier.
- Gov. Sandoval heading to China for trade mission in October Updated: Sep-25-15 12:59 am
CARSON CITY, Nevada - Gov. Brian Sandoval will go to China next month in the second trade mission he has taken there since assuming office.
- China plans to launch national cap-and-trade system Updated: Sep-24-15 11:38 pm
WASHINGTON - China is preparing to announce plans to launch a national system to limit greenhouse gases and force industries to purchase pollution credits, Obama administration officials said Thursday.