- Wisconsin redistricting trial wraps up Updated: May-27-16 7:48 pm
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Assembly district boundaries that Republicans drew up five years ago have robbed Democratic-leaning voters of their voices, attorneys argued Friday as they wrapped up a federal trial over whether the lines are constitutional.
- Will Trump continue to dominate media in 1-on-1 match? Updated: May-27-16 11:21 am
NEW YORK - During the height of the primary season, a sense of Donald Trump overload in the media united a divided electorate.
- GOP senators attack top Democrat for defense bill delay Updated: May-25-16 4:19 pm
WASHINGTON - A Republican senator angrily denounced the Senate's top Democrat Wednesday for delaying debate on defense policy legislation, calling Minority Leader Harry Reid's leadership "cancerous" and accusing him of holding up the $602 billion bill to preserve his "sad, sorry legacy."
- Senate votes to scrap catfish inspection program Updated: May-25-16 11:43 am
WASHINGTON - The Senate has voted to scrap a new catfish inspection program that critics have argued is wasteful and unnecessary.
- Correction: Campaign 2016-Foreign Hacking story Updated: May-23-16 11:30 am
WASHINGTON - In a story May 18 about possible foreign hacking into presidential campaigns, The Associated Press used the wrong configuration for the name of the chief executive officer of PKWARE. His name is V. Miller Newton, not V. Newton Miller.
- Pentagon: US airstrike targets Taliban leader Mullah Mansour Updated: May-21-16 9:30 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. targeted Taliban leader Mullah Mansour in an airstrike Saturday near the Afghanistan-Pakistan border, the Defense Department said, and a U.S. official said Mansour was believed to have been killed.
- In swing state suburbs, white women are skeptical of Trump Updated: May-21-16 1:05 pm
WESTERVILLE, Ohio - For Donald Trump to win the White House in November, he'll need the votes of women like lifelong Republican Wendy Emery.
- Congo's political crisis stokes fears of widespread violence Updated: May-20-16 10:18 am
WASHINGTON - A simmering political crisis in Congo that the U.S. and its allies have been unable to defuse is stoking fears in Congress that one of Africa's largest countries is on the verge of slipping into widespread violence.
- Capitol Hill Buzz: NFL returns money used to honor troops Updated: May-19-16 4:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Two Republican senators said Thursday that they've scored a touchdown for taxpayers after the National Football League informed them that it is refunding more than $700,000 paid by the Defense Department to NFL clubs to honor military service members at league games and events.
- GOP-led House decisively approves $602 billion defense bill Updated: May-18-16 10:31 pm
WASHINGTON - The Republican-led House voted convincingly Wednesday to approve a $602 billion defense policy bill after rejecting attempts by Democrats to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, and to repeal the war powers President Barack Obama relies on to fight the Islamic State.
- Senate approves Sept. 11 legislation despite Saudi threats Updated: May-17-16 5:21 pm
WASHINGTON - The Senate passed legislation Tuesday that would allow families of Sept. 11 victims to sue the government of Saudi Arabia, rejecting the fierce objections of a U.S. ally and setting Congress on a collision course with the Obama administration.
- Republican activists work to reconcile Kansas party to Trump Updated: May-14-16 5:27 pm
TOPEKA, Kansas - Republican activists in Kansas on Saturday worked to persuade the state party's conservative base to unite behind Donald Trump as the presumptive GOP presidential nominee, even as they picked a national convention delegation opposed to his candidacy.
- Brokaw to speak to graduates at Ole Miss commencement Updated: May-14-16 3:01 am
OXFORD, Mississippi - NBC News broadcaster Tom Brokaw will address graduates Saturday at the University of Mississippi.
- Some big-name California Republicans among Trump delegates Updated: May-10-16 12:26 am
Mitt Romney, John McCain and other prominent Republicans have distanced themselves from Donald Trump, but the billionaire businessman's list of delegates from California released Monday includes Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, the second-ranking Republican in the U.S. House.
- White House on damage control after aide's magazine profile Updated: May-09-16 6:01 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House on Monday worked to contain the damage caused by one of President Barack Obama's closest aides, who, in a seemingly candid, behind-the-curtain magazine story, ripped the Washington press corps, boasted of creating an "echo chamber" of supporters to sell the Iran nuclear deal and appeared to dismiss long-time foreign policy hands, including Hillary Clinton, as the Blob.
- Senate's power brokers are aging; several to seek new terms Updated: May-08-16 9:10 pm
WASHINGTON - Millennials have emerged as the nation's largest living generation yet that demographic shift isn't reflected in the upper reaches of the Republican-controlled Senate, where the body's oldest members are the power brokers.
- Sister of former Justice O'Connor killed in Arizona crash Updated: May-07-16 6:53 pm
TUCSON, Arizona - The sister of former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor was killed a car crash Saturday in Arizona.
- Senate Dems field large roster of women in the Year of Trump Updated: May-05-16 11:55 am
WASHINGTON - If 2016 has been the Year of Trump in politics, it may also end up being a new Year of the Woman, if Democrats get their way. And that won't be a coincidence.
- Slain Navy SEAL took lessons from running track into combat Updated: May-04-16 7:04 pm
PHOENIX - In cross-country running, your team is only as fast as your slowest athlete. Slain Navy SEAL Charlie Keating IV took that to heart in his youth as a track star, turning around to cheer on his teammates after he crossed the finish line.
- Hillicans? As Trump wins, Clinton explores how to woo GOPers Updated: May-04-16 3:50 pm
ATHENS, Ohio - With Donald Trump's remaining rivals bowing out of the race, clearing his path to the nomination, Hillary Clinton is looking for ways to woo Republicans turned off by the brash billionaire.
- The Latest: Feds reviewing proposed wolf legislation Updated: May-03-16 4:41 pm
ALBUQUERQUE, New Mexico - The Latest on federal legislation regarding recovery of the endangered Mexican gray wolf (all times local):