- Carter: Successful Iran nuclear deal better than strike Updated: Jul-29-15 7:45 pm
WASHINGTON - Defense Secretary Ash Carter said Wednesday that the U.S. armed forces stand ready to confront Iran, but told lawmakers that a successful implementation of the nuclear agreement with Tehran is preferable to a military strike.
- Obama calls GOP criticism of Iran deal 'ridiculous,' 'sad' Updated: Jul-27-15 10:55 pm
ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia - President Barack Obama unleashed a blistering and belittling rebuke of Republican White House hopefuls Monday, calling their attack on his landmark nuclear deal with Iran "ridiculous if it weren't so sad."
- Fadness leaving Wisconsin GOP to join Walker campaign Updated: Jul-27-15 10:32 am
MADISON, Wisconsin - Wisconsin Republican Party executive director Joe Fadness is leaving his position to join Scott Walker's presidential campaign.
- NASCAR, Indy honoring Marine vet Jeff Kyle at Brickyard Updated: Jul-23-15 4:41 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - Jeff Kyle raced up to 150 mph during a recent charity drive at Texas Motor Speedway, a welcome relief for the former Marine.
- Obama tries another push to close Guantanamo Bay prison Updated: Jul-22-15 5:57 pm
WASHINGTON - The White House is close to bringing Congress another plan for closing the prison for terrorism detainees at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, a campaign pledge that President Barack Obama hasn't given up on, his spokesman said Wednesday.
- South Carolina editorial roundup Updated: Jul-22-15 3:41 pm
Recent editorials from South Carolina newspapers:
- Gov. Walker shuns Trump's presidential primary attention Updated: Jul-22-15 2:21 pm
NASHVILLE, Tennessee - Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker said Wednesday that he's not worried about the attention Donald Trump is getting in his bid for the 2016 Republican presidential nomination.
- Rep. Wagner sends campaign donation from Trump to VFW post Updated: Jul-22-15 9:59 am
BALLWIN, Missouri - A member of Missouri's Republican congressional delegation is sending a $1,000 campaign donation from Donald Trump to a Veterans of Foreign Wars post.
- Donald Trump orders flags to half-staff on his properties Updated: Jul-21-15 2:28 pm
NEWARK, New Jersey - Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump is ordering that the flags on his U.S. properties lowered to honor the five service members killed in last week's shooting in Chattanooga, Tennessee.
- Sen. Warren: GOP candidates too slow to denounce Trump Updated: Jul-20-15 1:34 pm
BOSTON - U.S. Sen. Elizabeth Warren is faulting Republican leaders for failing to denounce Donald Trump as severely for his comments about Mexican immigrants as they have for his criticism of Sen. John McCain.
- Young: Trump comments on McCain insult all veterans Updated: Jul-19-15 5:28 pm
INDIANAPOLIS - U.S. Rep Todd Young says Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's criticism of Sen. John McCain's military record is insulting and uncalled for.
- Clinton, Kerry join in criticism of Trump's McCain statement Updated: Jul-18-15 11:18 pm
WASHINGTON - GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump's statements dismissing Sen. John McCain as a war hero are drawing criticism from prominent Democrats as well Republicans.
- Hillary Clinton tries to lift Democrats' spirits in Arkansas Updated: Jul-18-15 11:10 pm
NORTH LITTLE ROCK, Arkansas - Returning to the state where she served as first lady for 12 years, Hillary Rodham Clinton tried to lift the spirits of Arkansas Democrats on Saturday night after recent losses that have turned what was once friendly turf for her party into decidedly Republican territory
- GOP candidates make a pitch to evangelical voters in Iowa Updated: Jul-18-15 2:59 am
DES MOINES, Iowa - Republican presidential contenders seeking to woo evangelical voters are making their case for conservative social issues at a gathering expected to attract thousands of potential Iowa caucus-goers.
- GOP legislator challenging McCain for Senate nomination Updated: Jul-14-15 7:38 pm
PHOENIX - Sen. John McCain now has an official primary challenger in Arizona state Sen. Kelli Ward, a tea party favorite who announced Tuesday she's formally taking on the task of trying to knock off the five-term Republican lawmaker next year.
- White House seeking Democrats to support Iran nuclear deal Updated: Jul-14-15 5:16 pm
WASHINGTON - Just hours after announcing a landmark nuclear agreement with Iran on Tuesday, the White House launched a robust lobbying campaign to persuade skeptical Democrats in Congress to approve the deal.
- General: US considers expanding Ukraine training to army Updated: Jul-13-15 5:08 pm
WASHINGTON - The U.S. is considering a plan to expand its military training of Ukrainian forces to include army soldiers, the commander of the U.S. Army in Europe said on Monday, describing a potential move that risks heightening tensions with Russia.
- Ken Bennett leaving Supreme Court to run for CD1 Updated: Jul-10-15 2:15 pm
PHOENIX - Former Secretary of State and Senate President Ken Bennett is planning to run for the vacant First Congressional District seat in next year's election.
- At apex of military, spotlight feels bright, power seems dim Updated: Jul-10-15 11:26 am
WASHINGTON - The man often called America's top military officer, the most powerful person in uniform, actually commands nothing. No tanks, no planes, no ships, no troops.
- Army announces troop cuts, says they could expand Updated: Jul-09-15 1:36 pm
WASHINGTON - The Army said Thursday that six domestic bases will lose 1,200 or more soldiers as part of a cost-saving plan to reduce the active-duty force by 40,000 troops over the coming two years. If Congress and the White House cannot avert another round of budget cuts this year, even deeper troop reductions would result, Army officials said.
- Obama hosts Vietnam Communist Party chief at White House Updated: Jul-07-15 5:53 pm
WASHINGTON - Bolstered by new trade negotiating powers from Congress, President Barack Obama held an unprecedented meeting Tuesday with the head of Vietnam's Communist Party as the U.S. pressed ahead to conclude talks on a groundbreaking Asia-Pacific economic pact.
- Senators quiz military chiefs, criticize US fight against IS Updated: Jul-07-15 3:48 pm
WASHINGTON - Facing blistering criticism from Republican senators, Defense Secretary Ash Carter acknowledged on Tuesday that the U.S. has only 60 trainees in a program to prepare and arm thousands of moderate Syrian rebels in the fight against Islamic State militants.
- Touting progress, Obama says Islamic State is losing ground Updated: Jul-06-15 6:29 pm
WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama portrayed the U.S.-led coalition Monday as gaining ground against the Islamic State amid an expanded U.S. effort and ample signs of progress, but conceded more difficulties ahead in fighting what he described as a nimble and opportunistic enemy.
- Who will make us laugh during upcoming presidential campaign Updated: Jul-06-15 9:44 am
NEW YORK - A presidential campaign is beginning without late-night television hosts who helped us laugh through past ones, both a cultural loss and an opportunity for new voices.
- Bill Clinton visits Vietnam to mark 20th anniversary of ties Updated: Jul-02-15 12:35 pm
HANOI, Vietnam - For Bill Clinton, President Barack Obama's announcement this week of plans to resume diplomatic relations with Cuba must have stirred memories. It was 20 years ago this month that Clinton pulled off a similar diplomatic and political success, normalizing relations with Vietnam.