- Vatican leaks trial delayed for a week at defense request Updated: Nov-30-15 6:51 am
VATICAN CITY - A Vatican judge on Monday granted more time for the defense to prepare for a trial over the leak of confidential documents that has put a Spanish monsignor, a pair of Italian journalists and two others in the dock.
- Journey to sainthood begins with simple step for priest Updated: Nov-28-15 10:53 am
VILLANOVA, Pennsylvania - While Archbishop Charles Chaput was preparing for the Philadelphia visit of Pope Francis two months ago, he took time to give his blessing to a mission that may make a deceased Delaware County man a saint.
- Pope: land grabs a serious problem in Kenya Updated: Nov-27-15 8:45 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - Pope Francis on Friday took aim at the injustice of land grabs by Kenya's powerful and wealthy individuals, acts that government probes have identified as a major source of conflict and ethnic tension in the country.
- Obama still pondering death penalty's role in justice system Updated: Nov-27-15 3:46 am
WASHINGTON - Even as President Barack Obama tries to make a hard case for overhauling sentences, rehabilitating prisoners and confronting racial bias in policing, he has been less clear about the death penalty.
- Brian Williams settles into new job at MSNBC Updated: Nov-25-15 11:19 am
NEW YORK - Coming out of a commercial break shortly before 11:20 a.m., Brian Williams had slipped into the anchor chair on MSNBC Tuesday as President Barack Obama met with French President Francois Hollande.
- In Cuba, searching for a lost past and finding a family Updated: Nov-24-15 12:28 pm
HAVANA - I was born in the United States, but my family never let me forget that we're Cuban.
- Kenya declares public holiday for papal Mass Updated: Nov-24-15 7:38 am
NAIROBI, Kenya - The Kenyan government has declared a national public holiday the day Pope Francis will celebrate Mass here, drawing an expected 1.4 million people.
- Jazmine Sullivan to headline Philadelphia's tree lighting Updated: Nov-23-15 4:08 pm
PHILADELPHIA - Grammy-nominated R&B singer Jazmine Sullivan will perform at Philadelphia's holiday tree-lighting event.
- Uganda fundraises, spruces up shrine for pope visit Updated: Nov-23-15 12:01 pm
NAMUGONGO, Uganda - More than 2 million people are expected to converge near a minor basilica in the Ugandan capital where Pope Francis will celebrate Mass on Saturday, an official with the Roman Catholic Church here said Monday even as workers put in extra hours to spruce up the shrine.
- In Kenyan town, Christians worship under police guard Updated: Nov-23-15 10:28 am
GARISSA, Kenya - As song and prayer drifted from the open, ivy-lined doorways of a Catholic church in Garissa, several security officials, including Muslims, stood watch on the grounds nearby.
- In Africa, Pope Francis to find a church growing in numbers Updated: Nov-23-15 6:19 am
JOHANNESBURG - Pope Paul VI became the first modern pope to visit Africa in 1969 and declared the continent a "new homeland" for Jesus Christ. During the quarter century of his papacy, St. John Paul II traveled to 42 African countries and earned the nickname "the African." Pope Benedict XVI said Africa was a continent of hope. Next week, Pope Francis joins his predecessors and visits a region whose growing numbers of Catholics are seen as a bulwark for a church seeking to broaden its appeal in the face of challenges from secularism, competing Christian faiths and violent extremism.
- The Latest: Senegal president visits Mali attack site Updated: Nov-22-15 3:09 pm
BAMAKO, Mali - The latest on the attack on a hotel in the Malian capital of Bamako. (All times local):
- De Blasio and Bloomberg make peace at NYC tree-planting Updated: Nov-20-15 2:06 pm
NEW YORK - They shared laughs about supermodels, Big Bird and the governor. They competed to out-do each other in lavishing praise on Bette Midler. And they planted a tree.
- Argentine presidential campaigns spar over pope's comments Updated: Nov-19-15 6:36 pm
HUACALERA, Argentina - Argentina's presidential campaigns sparred Thursday over just whom the country's most famous son is supporting.
- Pope Africa plans unchanged, but bodyguard does extra check Updated: Nov-19-15 1:53 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is going ahead with plans to visit the conflict-wracked Central African Republic, but his top bodyguard is doing an unusual, last-minute on-site survey to determine if security concerns require any changes to the itinerary, the Vatican said Thursday.
- A look at key developments in the Paris attacks Updated: Nov-18-15 2:13 pm
PARIS - Police raided an apartment in suburban Paris as they searched for the suspected mastermind of last week's attacks that killed 129 people. Here are some of the key developments Wednesday:
- Vatican: Would be nice if Mother Teresa made saint in 2016 Updated: Nov-18-15 12:58 pm
VATICAN CITY - A Vatican official says it's too soon to say if Mother Teresa will be made a saint during the 2016 Holy Year of Mercy.
- APEC summit tests security in volatile Philippines Updated: Nov-17-15 12:34 am
MANILA, Philippines - Providing security for the leaders of Asia-Pacific nations including the United States and China is a huge undertaking for any country. For the Philippines, which is hosting this year's APEC summit, the challenges are even bigger and are under renewed scrutiny following the Paris attacks.
- Paris attacks reaction: Nordic governments condemn attacks Updated: Nov-14-15 5:50 am
PARIS - World leaders are reacting to the deadliest violence to strike France since World War II. Some of their comments:
- Mormon leaders stand behind rules for gays, their children Updated: Nov-13-15 1:35 pm
SALT LAKE CITY - The Mormon church is standing behind its new rules targeting gay members and their children that generated widespread blowback from members, while providing more explanation about them.
- Pope steady despite a crazy, messed up month of scandal Updated: Nov-13-15 12:04 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is no stranger to drama, intrigue or scandal. But even by Vatican standards, this has been one hell of a month.
- Pope Francis to visit Mexican capital, 3 states in 2016 Updated: Nov-11-15 6:30 pm
MEXICO CITY - Pope Francis will visit the Mexican capital and three states early next year, Mexico's foreign relations secretary announced Wednesday.
- Pope pledges to continue reforms in face of leaks Updated: Nov-08-15 9:02 am
VATICAN CITY - In his first public comments on the latest scandal rocking the Vatican, Pope Francis told followers in St. Peter's Square on Sunday that the theft of documents describing financial malfeasance inside the Holy See was a "crime" but pledged to continue reforms of its administration.
- Philadelphia becomes first World Heritage City in US Updated: Nov-06-15 5:28 pm
PHILADELPHIA - America's birthplace has been named the country's first World Heritage City, putting it on par with Jerusalem, Cairo, Paris and other places recognized for their impacts on the course of human events.
- Congressional panel slams Obama's Cuba, Venezuela policies Updated: Nov-06-15 4:14 pm
MIAMI - The chairman of a congressional panel torched the Obama administration's policy toward Cuba and Venezuela at a field hearing Friday to review the human rights records of both Latin American countries.