- AP: Intruders breach US airport fences about every 10 days Updated: May-26-16 9:48 am
Under pressure to prevent people from sneaking onto runways and planes at major U.S. airports, authorities are cracking down - not on the intruders who slip through perimeter gates or jump over fences, but on the release of information about the breaches.
- French president in anti-extremism talks with Al-Azhar imam Updated: May-24-16 1:16 pm
PARIS - The French president has met with the grand imam of the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning Al-Azhar to share views on the fight against extremism.
- Irish church eyes 2018 papal visit, reconciliation gesture Updated: May-24-16 8:02 am
VATICAN CITY - The archbishop of Dublin is hoping Pope Francis will visit Northern Ireland as well as Dublin to mark the next edition of the Catholic Church's big family rally.
- Writings by Mother Teresa to be published in August Updated: May-24-16 6:44 am
NEW YORK - A collection of previously unreleased writings by Mother Teresa is coming out in August, weeks before the late Nobel Peace Prize winner is to be canonized.
- Pope embraces Al-Azhar imam in sign of renewed relations Updated: May-23-16 9:35 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis on Monday embraced the grand imam of Al-Azhar, the prestigious Sunni Muslim center of learning, reopening an important channel for Catholic-Muslim dialogue after a five-year lull and at a time of increased Islamic extremist attacks on Christians.
- Head of Indian state to attend Mother Teresa canonization Updated: May-23-16 3:45 am
KOLKATA, India - The head of the Indian state where Mother Teresa worked with the destitute and ill says she'll travel to the Vatican for the Nobel winner's canonization later this year.
- A look at verbal U-turns by Philippines' likely next leader Updated: May-22-16 1:07 am
MANILA, Philippines - Rodrigo Duterte kept Filipinos guessing for months last year whether he would run for president. He repeatedly declared that he wouldn't, then cited different reasons when he finally did. On the campaign trail, he flipped and flopped on a number of key pronouncements. That has made it difficult to discern when the brash Duterte, who spikes his speeches with sarcasm and hyperbole for added punch, is serious or, in his own words, is "just taking you for a ride."
- Winners announced in 2015 PAPME contest Updated: May-20-16 11:52 pm
HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania - The Patriot-News and the Erie Times-News won sweepstakes awards Friday at the Pennsylvania Associated Press Managing Editors' annual banquet.
- Pope warns bishops to consult Rome on new religious orders Updated: May-20-16 1:44 pm
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis is warning bishops that they must consult with the Vatican before approving new would-be religious orders or risk having their decisions overturned.
- Marco Pannella, maverick in Italian postwar politics, dies Updated: May-19-16 11:39 am
ROME - Marco Pannella, a maverick radical politician who was crucial to Italian postwar campaigns to legalize abortion, divorce and other social change, died Thursday. He was 86.
- Dionne Warwick announces biopic, prompting quick denials Updated: May-13-16 2:12 pm
CANNES, France - Dionne Warwick announced plans for a biopic about herself at the Cannes Film Festival on Friday, but questions quickly arose about the legitimacy of the fledgling production company the R&B singer has signed up with.
- Polish PM, Pope Francis debate family policy, youth meeting Updated: May-13-16 11:48 am
WARSAW, Poland - Poland's prime minister says Pope Francis, who is due to visit the country in July, has praised her policy supporting large families.
- Vatican tamps down expectations over women deacons Updated: May-13-16 11:00 am
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican is tamping down any expectations that Pope Francis is about to let women serve as deacons in the Catholic Church anytime soon.
- Policy utterances from Philippines' likely next president Updated: May-12-16 7:18 am
MANILA, Philippines - On the Philippine campaign trail, Rodrigo Duterte was alternatively seen as a looming despot with a hot temper or a hands-on administrator who could eradicate crime and corruption.
- A look at the candidates in Philippine presidential election Updated: May-08-16 10:56 am
MANILA, Philippines - Philippine voters on Monday will elect a successor to President Benigno Aquino III, choosing from among a diverse cast of candidates.
- AP Interview: Rio security head says cuts impact Olympics Updated: May-06-16 3:38 pm
RIO DE JANEIRO - Rio de Janeiro's state security secretary acknowledges that cuts of $550 million to his budget pose a risk to the Olympics when they open in three months.
- Pope seeks to renew European dream as he accepts unity prize Updated: May-06-16 11:58 am
VATICAN CITY - Pope Francis, accepting a prize for promoting European unity, on Friday warned Europeans against the selfish temptation to put up fences to ward off newcomers, saying he still dreams of a Europe where migrants are welcomed.
- EU official Tusk: Idea of one European nation is 'illusion' Updated: May-05-16 4:08 pm
ROME - Worried about anti-European Union sentiment fueling nationalism on the continent, a top official said Thursday that the bloc must "stop the radicals" from gaining power by making citizens feel safe amid the migrant crisis.
- AP names Fernando Gonzalez deputy news director for LatAm Updated: May-04-16 12:33 pm
MEXICO CITY - Fernando Gonzalez, a veteran video journalist who has spent more than 30 years covering Latin America and the Caribbean, has been named to a new role as The Associated Press' deputy news director for the region.
- Venezuela opposition delivers petitions to remove president Updated: May-02-16 6:09 pm
CARACAS, Venezuela - The opposition turned in petitions to Venezuelan electoral authorities Monday that it said carried signatures of 1.8 million voters seeking President Nicolas Maduro's removal in a nationwide referendum.
- At the Vatican, Biden seeks common cause with pope on cancer Updated: Apr-29-16 1:55 pm
VATICAN CITY - Vice President Joe Biden found common cause with Pope Francis on Friday at the Vatican for a global commitment to fund cancer research.
- The Latest: Biden's grand welcome at Italian PM's residence Updated: Apr-29-16 9:24 am
VATICAN CITY - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Vatican City and Rome (all times local):
- Biden presses Iraq to not let political chaos upend gains Updated: Apr-28-16 5:39 pm
BAGHDAD - Vice President Joe Biden pressed Iraq on Thursday not to let its crippling political crisis upend hard-fought gains against the Islamic State group as he returned to the country that's come to symbolize America's relentless struggles in the Middle East.
- The Latest: Biden leaves Iraq, next stop Rome Updated: Apr-28-16 5:35 pm
BAGHDAD - The Latest on Vice President Joe Biden's visit to Iraq (all times local):
- Vatican crackdown on tax cheats flagged in oversight report Updated: Apr-28-16 2:38 pm
VATICAN CITY - The Vatican's financial watchdog said Thursday it received 544 reports of suspicious financial transactions last year, a three-fold increase over 2014, thanks in part to beefed-up efforts to flag potential tax cheats who are using the Vatican bank to hide money.